Plans to Make & Hearts to Break

You have a hangover.

I awoke the next morning feeling quite a headache, but also feeling a hand sleepily playing with my hair. "G'morning," I grumbled, eyes still shut, as I cuddled closer to the body I was laying against.

"Morning, sleepy head," The gentle voice that responded definitely didn't belong to my boyfriend. Shit.

I sprang to a sitting position, only to let out a loud groan and quickly cover my eyes. "Fucking shit," I sighed. "I'm dying!"

"You are not dying, crazy," William spoke. I peeked out from behind my hands, squinting from the light that filled the room from his window. "You have a hangover."

"I know that, asshat," I growled. "Get me water and a million tylenol and explain to me why I'm sitting here."

William chuckled but did as he was told, exiting his room and returning moments later with a cold bottle of water and two extra-strength tylenols. I quickly took the pills and chugged some of the water. "Jesus christ this reminds me why I don't usually drink," I groaned again. I put the cap back on the bottle and held it to my forehead before tossing the bottle onto the bed and burying my face into a pillow.

Again, I shot myself back to a sitting position. This is not my bed. I am not going to get comfortable here. "You seem... conflicted." William observed.

"Ya think!?" I snapped. "I woke up feeling like a fish that fell out of a fish bowl, not even in my own house let alone my own bed, and whatever I fucking had at that bar was stronger than I thought because everything that happened after your show is fuzzy."

"Everything?" He questioned, and I could tell just from his tone that something happened that he didn't want me to forget and I'm not sure I wanted to remember.

"No, I just said that to be dramatic," I snapped. "Tell me how the fuck I ended up on this bed." I wasn't angry at him, despite the tone of my voice conveying that. I was mad at myself for... I don't even know, yet.

"When we got back I offered to walk you into your house so you could sleep. You refused because you didn't, and I quote, 'want to sleep alone.' Despite barely being able to hold yourself upright you basically let yourself into my house and slept right here." He chuckled. Something made it seem like he wasn't telling me the whole story. But that could wait.

"So we didn't-" The words came out of my mouth before I could stop them, and I shot my hand up to cover my mouth.

William's eyes widened. "No!" He shouted. "No. I mean, we -"

"We what." I said quietly, but he didn't need to respond. As my body slowly fought off the hangover, my mind slowly cleared.

And it cleared to reveal several things I didn't expect. Mostly from myself.

We'd just said our goodbyes to William's friends, and parted ways from the bar's exit and into the parking lot. "Will-um," I hiccuped, my voice obviously not clear. He was a few steps ahead of me but turned around, a wide smile adorning his face. "Come here." I spoke again. Instead, he simply stopped in his tracks and I stumbled towards him.

I drink so rarely, how did I end up finishing almost two long islands?

I stood near him now, staring up towards his face. Why was he so tall? "Come here," I repeated.

"I am here, crazy." He teased.

"No you aren't. You're in the clouds." I grinned. He got the message and leaned down slightly.

Instead of speaking again, I put my hands towards the back of his head, pulled my fingers through his hair, and closed the space between our lips. After a moment, I pulled away from him. "Now, we're even," I grinned, before releasing his hair and walking around him, towards his car.

"How do I even react to that?" William questioned, catching up to me in a few long strides. I simply shrugged. "I mean, come on, Nicole," He teased, leaning against his car now. I stared up at him, "I'm at a loss for words here."

Even drunk, I could tell he wasn't kidding. The William I knew had a quick response to anything I said or did. But, it seemed that drunk-Nicole had the upper hand here. "I'd do something like... this," I stated, before pulling on his shirt so he leaned down again, and pushing my lips into an even deeper kiss than the first.


Fuck.

I rested my forehead in my palm for a moment, before moving my hand and pushing it through my hair. "I'm gonna go shower," I mumbled, standing up. My head was still pounding, and as time went on my stomach was starting to feel more and more uneasy. William stood as well, and pulled me into a tight hug. As if he understood what I was thinking, he didn't say a word and let me walk to my house in peace.

While taking a shower helped clear the hangover fog from my mind, it did not help clear my mind overall. One by one, I remembered moments much like that in the parking lot; everything from him sneaking a deep kiss at a red light, to stumbling into his house practically attached at the mouth.

God damn it. What is wrong with me?

As I got dressed, I dug my phone from my purse - and what I revealed did nothing to soothe any emotions.

Still no call from Danny. There was one measly text, though - made it. job's crazy. so sorry. miss and love you. Instead of responding I simply turned my phone completely off and tossed it back into my purse.

The only explanation for the next step of my thought process would be that a wave of alcohol stored in me somewhere set in, because once I was dressed I slipped my shoes back on, grabbed my purse and left the house.

I didn't have to go far, as I simply stepped up to my neighbor's porch and let myself into the house through the unlocked front door. William sat on the couch, watching the tv, but turned his attention towards me as I let my purse fall to the floor. "Feeling better?" He questioned, a smirk playing on his lips.

I nodded slowly, pursing my lips. Dammit, Beckett, you're ruining me.

"What's going on, Nicole?" He questioned, cocking his eyebrow. Slowly, he stood from his seat on the couch. "You seem... different."

"I think I am," I smirked before I took a few steps to clear the distance between us and pulled him into another deep kiss, which he quickly returned.