Plans to Make & Hearts to Break

Why are you using my house key?

I sighed as I placed another canvas onto my easel. Kissing William while I was drunk was one thing, but going after him a second time, because I was mad at Danny, was another.

I tapped my forehead lightly with a paint brush before letting out a sigh. I didn't really know what to do with myself anymore. Maybe staying away from William until Danny gets home would be best.

I had just placed some white paint on my brush when I heard the front door open. I did not move from my spot behind the large canvas, because I knew he couldn't see me from the doorway. And I was hoping he would wander home.

"Honey! I'm home!" He paused for a moment "Nicole?"

"She's not here," I said simply. "Please leave a message after the tone."

From behind the canvas, I saw his feet take a few steps forward and finally his head peeked around to see me. "Nice try," He laughed.

"Why are you using my house key? I told you specifically not to abuse your power, Beckett." I faked a glare at him.

"I couldn't resist," He joked. "I had to see you."

"Why?" I cocked my eyebrow at him, holding back a scowl.

"For this," He spoke, leaning forward to fill in the space between our lips. Instead of finding my lips, though, he stumbled forward as I dodged the kiss.

I pursed my lips. "Not now," I sighed. This had to stop. In less than a week, Danny would be home and life would be back to normal.

William's eyes fell from looking at me to the two finished painting that were leaning against the wall to dry. "Those are... morbid," He stated.

"They're skeletons," I rolled my eyes. "Everyone's got one."

"Well most people don't usually paint them in various poses," He teased.

I smirked at him. "I'm not most people, William."

"Oh, I am aware," He grinned, moving closer to me again. He draped his arms around my shoulders and looked down slightly, into my eyes. "I want to take you out," He said simply.

I had to hold back a physical flinch, and moved away from him again. "I can't."

"You can't what?" He questioned, his eyes on me despite the fact that I was looking anywhere but at him.

"I can't go out with you. I can't do," I paused, gesturing in the air between our bodies, "this."

He cocked an eyebrow. "Can I ask why?"

I shook my head, but decided to speak plainly. "Because all I'll do is hurt you, William. You deserve much better than me."

"You know," He smirked, "I don't agree with you. Let me take you on one date. That's all I ask. If you still feel like this, I'll drop the matter entirely."

I rolled my eyes at him. "You're too optimistic, William. I'm telling you right now I'm going to break your heart and you're walking right into it."

"I've never met someone quite like you, Nicole." He stated simply.

I smirked, "That's probably for the best. I'm bad news, Beckett."

He ran a hand through his hair. Why did he have to be so damn attractive? "Again, I don't agree."

"One date." I stated. "Nothing too formal. Don't make me wear a dress." I absolutely should not be agreeing to this. This is a bad idea. I need to stay away from William. Going on a date with him is the exact opposite of that.

"Okay. Tomorrow. We'll leave at.... one. Wear a swimsuit." He grinned.

I could only blink at him for a moment before I spoke. "You just wanna see this hot bod," I smirked.

"Maybe I do," He returned the flirtatious tone my voice was carrying.

---

The next day, William was back at my house promptly at one. I'd just finished throwing a loose-fitting shirt and pair of shorts over my swimsuit when he let himself into the house. "Your chariot awaits," He grinned at me as I picked up my bag.

I let out a small laugh. "Weirdo."

"Person... who agreed to a date with a weirdo." He teased. Great comeback, Beckett.

The drive to what ended up being a beach (Surprise, surprise!) didn't take too long, and was mostly a quiet ride. The most noise was escaping the car's speakers, playing a local radio station.

"How did you know I love water?" I grinned, climbing out from his car as soon as he parked.

I grinned as well, adjusting his ray-ban sunglasses subtly. "Lucky guess," He smirked. We walked onto the sand and found a spot to place our belongings. Like most public beaches, the swimming area was designated by large, floating barriers a few yards away from the shore.

I glanced towards William and grinned widely. "I'll beat you out there!" I ran from our spot as soon as I announced this race.

From behind me I heard William shout, "Not fair!" I stopped in my tracks, turned around and shrugged at him before running into the water. I made sure to keep up a decent pace, unsure of how far behind me William was. Quickly, I found out - he wrapped his hand around my ankle, not allowing me to get any further away from him.

"Cheater!" I managed to shout, kicking wildly. He released my ankle only to pull his head under the water and vanish. When he reappeared, he was in front of me, and closing in on the boundary of the swimming area. He slammed both palms onto the bright orange plastic and hoisted himself up, sitting on his newly-earned throne.

Moments later, I caught up with him, pulling myself onto the floating, nasty plastic as well. "So, what do I get for winning?" He smirked at me.

I felt an evil grin creep onto my lips and didn't speak. Instead, I reached up and pushed his shoulder, taking him by surprise as he fell backwards and into the water. For a moment I had a good laugh, although it was interrupted as he'd swam beneath the boundary and, from beneath the water, grabbed my foot and pulled my boasting ass back into the water as well.

"So, I guess we're even," He smirked.

All I could do was shake my head. "I don't think so," I smirked before splashing water onto his face.

"Not cool, Nicole. Not cool." He joked, pushing some of his almost-shoulder-length hair backwards, off of his face.

"You shouldn't talk about yourself like that," I teased. Because I'm a child.

"Ha. Ha. Ha." He kept a straight face as he returned the splash.

I faked a glare at him, breaking it only when I felt his hands touching my sides. I hadn't notice how close we'd become. "Don't you dare tickle me," I growled.

"That's definitely not what I had in mind," He smirked. Again, he moved to kiss me. The only difference now is that I made no effort to dodge the action - instead, I returned it.

---

The date didn't end at the beach. While most of the day was spent there, by the time night closed in William and I ended up curled up on his couch. Playing from the TV, by my recommendation, was Peter Pan.

Again, he was gently playing with my hair as I was dozing in and out of sleep, my head on his chest. "Today was great," I mumbled sleepily.

He moved his arm, squeezing me closer to him. "It was. We should do it again sometime."

I felt myself slowly nod as I drifted to sleep.