More Human Than We Thought

Father...

Loki was a simple teenager. He enjoyed reading, magic and the occasional sweet treat from Midgard. He was currently sitting in the grounds, focusing on learning some new spells and sucking on a lollipop his Father had bought him from Midgard. Thor and his friends were sparring not too far away. Sif's voice drifted over to where Loki was sitting.

"Fat. All he does is eat sweets from Midgard."

Loki sat up sharply, almost dropping his book. What had Sif just said? It was obviously about him, he was the only one who enjoyed Midgardian food. He slowly stood and went to his chambers, continuing to suck the lolly. Was he fat? He had certainly gained weight recently but he would not say he was fat. He set his book down on his desk and finished the lolly off, chewing what was left of the ball of sugar. He shrugged his jacket off and looked at himself side on in the mirror. The door opening caused Loki to jump.

"Loki, son."

"Father."

Loki smiled weakly at his Father, bending down to pick his jacket up off the floor, folding it and placing it at the end of the bed.

"Father... May I ask you something..?"

"Of course, son. What is on your mind?"

"Am I.. Overweight?"

Odin burst into laughter and Loki forced a smile onto his face.

"Son, you are not overweight. If I did not know better, I would say you were anorexic."

"Anorexic?"

"A Midgardian illness. We Aesir do not suffer from it."

Loki nodded.

"If you will excuse me, Father, I am practicing my magic. I was just leaving to the library."

Odin nodded and left. Loki slid his jacket on and glanced at himself in the mirror before leaving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loki ran his fingers over the spines of the Midgardian books as he read the information. He picked up a medical dictionary and gently flicked through the pages. He spotted the term and ran his finger along the page as he read.

'Anorexia: an illness of the mind where people sees themselves as overweight and so starve themselves.'

There was a picture included. Loki ran his finger over the woman. She was beautiful. The way her bones were prominent against her skin made him smile a little. Loki gripped the page in his hand and ever so silently tore it from the book. Replacing the book, he folded the page and slid it into his jacket pocket, going for dinner when he heard the usual bell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, Loki snuck out of his chambers and curled up in a chair in the library, reading more about anorexia. It sounded terrible and yet the women were so beautiful, even the men looked fragile; graceful. Page after page; picture after picture was slid into his pocket. Upon seeing the sun streaming through the window, he jumped up, startled. The books jumped back to their places on the shelves as Loki rushed back to his chambers. Turning a corner, he rushed into his Mother and ended up on the floor.

"Loki! Were you up all night in the library again? What have I told you about that?"

Loki blushed and nodded.

"I am terribly sorry, Mother. I only went to return a book..."

Frigga frowned above him.

"Go and get ready for breakfast, hurry now."

Loki went to obey, getting up and walking down the corridor before turning.

"Oh, Mother, I am not feeling up to breakfast... I shall not be eating."

Frigga nodded and continued down to the hall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the months passed, Loki became more and more sullen. He rarely joined his family in the hall for meals, preferring to take them in his room, using magic to make them disappear.

Loki glared at his reflection in the mirror, pinching at some fat. How had he gained weight? He had starved himself for two weeks straight this time. Not one note. Where had it come from? He yelled out and slammed his fist against the mirror, not caring as shards dug into his hand. Why could he not look like those women; men; teenagers? Why was he cursed to look overweight? He slipped his shirt back on, curling up on his bed to sob. His door opened and he sat upright. Thor stuck his head around the door. The useless oaf.

"Loki? Brother? I heard yelling- what happened to your hand?"

"A spell went wrong and I hit my mirror..."

Thor walked over and looked over it.

"You should heal this."

Loki rolled his eyes, the wound healing before Thor had finished.

"What do you wish for, Thor?"

"I am going to Midgard. I was wondering if you wished for something sweet."

Anger coursed around Loki's body.

"No I do not wish for something sweet. Now leave me."

Thor got up and left, looking back worriedly at Loki's even slimmer figure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thor arrived on Midgard and was pleased to see Darcy and Tony waiting for him.

"Darcy! Man of Iron! How lovely it is to see you!"

"Yea good to see you too big guy."

"Thor!"

Thor hugged Darcy back and followed Tony to the car which would take them all back to SHIELD headquarters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once they had shared greetings, Thor sat down, more quiet than he usually was. Clint was the one to notice.

"Hey, Thor, what's wrong big boy?"

"I am worried about my brother, Loki. He seems much skinnier than usual, he never comes to eat with us anymore, he barely leaves his chambers. It has been like this for months."

Natasha cleared her throat.

"Thor... Has anyone actually seen him eat recently?"

Thor shook his head and Steve and Bruce shared a look.

"Thor... It sounds like Loki's anorexic.."

"Anorexic?"

Tony sat next to Thor.

"It's the term to describe people who have anorexia. It's something to do with their minds. They see themselves as fat and starve themselves to become skinny."

"Aesir do not suffer from your mortal problems."

Thor laughed before Natasha shrugged.

"You said he's adopted- anyway just look into it Thor.. It could end up killing him..."