More Human Than We Thought

Brother...

Thor returned to Asgard that night, thoughts rolling through his mind. What Natasha had said was correct; Loki was indeed adopted, he was not an Aesir. Would his mind be more susceptible to such issues as anorexia?

Instead of heading back to his chambers, Thor went straight to Loki. Without knocking, he threw the doors open in time to see Loki magic food away.

"BROTHER!"

Loki jumped around with a yell before starting to cry.

"Brother why?"

"Because... I want to be so thin, light, airy, that... that when the light hits me, I do not leave a shadow behind... that when I walk across the snow I will not leave so much as one footprint to mar its virgin purity... that I can dance between the raindrops in a downpour. I want my bones to be on show, they all look so gorgeous... And then there is me... Skin is disgusting. I want to see my bones. I will continue to do this to the bone."

Loki was yelling, tears pouring down his face as he crumpled to his bed, sobbing into his hands. Thor felt a pang in his chest for his younger brother and sat down, pulling Loki into his lap. His brother was much too light, too fragile.

"I heard yelling- Loki, son, what ever is wrong?"

Frigga knelt down in front of the two boys and Thor motioned outside, letting Loki cry in the bed. Their Mother followed Thor out of the room, glancing at Loki sobbing on the bed.

"Mother, what do you know of anorexia?"

"Why? Is it a mortal disease where they starve themselves to be thin..."

She drifted off and looked back at Loki before looking up at Thor.

"Not my little boy..."

She rushed off to find Odin, furious and at the same time, heartbroken.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One month since the family had found out. One month since Loki had been subject to the Healers. One month since he had been forced to eat, despite his protests. Today was one of those days. Thor could feel his heart breaking as he watched Loki being held down to the bed, Frigga gently slipping a spoon full of soup into his mouth. Thor leant down and pressed a kiss to Loki's forehead. He threw an arm out, smacking Thor. It was obvious he blamed his brother. Thor stood and took a step back, tears falling down his face, watching their parents leave.

"I just wanted to help you Loki... I do not wish for you to hate me but I do wish for you to get better."

"I did not need to get 'better'. I was fine. Now, look at me, I am fat... I am disgusting."

Thor felt like a knife had just been pushed through his heart. He stared at his brother's fragile ribs, almost slicing through his skin. He stared at the way his chest barely rose when he breathed; crackling sound when he took breaths caused yet more tears to fall down Thor's face.

"Do not pretend you care. Leave me. I SAID LEAVE ME."

Thor swallowed hard and stumbled out of the room, shutting the door after him. He went to walk off before stopping. He pushed the door open and went to speak, frowning when he saw Loki was not on the bed. He heard gagging and ran into the bathroom, yanking Loki from the toilet.

"NO LET ME GO!"

"MOTHER! FATHER! GUARDS! SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!"

Loki sobbed and screamed as people held him back, someone casting a spell to render him unconscious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loki's mind slowly faded back into consciousness, the sound of sobbing evident to his clouded mind. His eyes slowly flickered open and he glanced at his family, crying with each other by the side of his bed. Frigga saw him and let out a shriek, flinging herself over to the bed, and wrapping her arms around Loki tightly. His arms slowly reached up to wrap around her.

"M-Mother... Why are you crying..?"

"My little boy... You are destroying your body and it breaks my heart."

"I am just trying to look perfect for everyone..."

"YOU WERE PERFECT!"

Her words hit Loki in his heart. Suddenly, it looked like everything was brighter. His Mother was right. He had been perfect. He looked down at his ribs and swallowed hard.

"M-Mommy..? Could you get me something to eat..?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Year time lapse~

Loki slowly walked through the palace gardens, fingers brushing over delicate flowers. His Mother was a talented gardener. He reached his hand into his jacket pocket and took out the pictures of the Midgardian men and women. He felt a familiar pang in his chest as he looked at their ribs, their shoulders, their cheeks. His hand curled against his stomach. They were so beautiful...

Loki shook his head sharply. No. He would never, could never go back down that road. It had taken them until now to recover, even now it was hard for him to eat at times. He sat the pictures in the palm of his hand and watched them curl into each other as they set alight. The fire burned in his eyes as he watched them dissolve to ashes. He gently brought his hand to his face and blew them out of his hand. The wind took them, scattering them among the gardens as Loki turned to walk back into the castle. Upon turning a corner, he bumped into Thor, sending him sprawling on the floor with a cry.

"Brother!"

Thor stuck his hand out and took ahold of Loki's arm, helping him back up.

"I am on my way for dinner, Loki... Would you accompany me?"

Loki carefully brushed his robes off before nodding and grinning up at Thor.

"I would love to..."