Status: In the works!

Between Two Cities

Chapter 8

"PattyK!" I said happily as I walked off my plane. I was finally in Chicago visiting one of my best friends to get a break from all the drama.

"Hey Mills!" Patrick pulled me into a hug when I reached him. Patrick Kane played for the Chicago Blackhawks. Him and Jonathan Toews were my friends I met in Buffalo, New York. They were visiting Patrick's family and I was there when the Sabres were playing Dallas. They were eating at a restaurant and I was there and the three of us just hit it off.

"Oh PattyK I've missed your hugs." I said to him. He released himself from the hug and smiled at me.

"Let's go to "The Harold". The team is there waiting for us. I mouthed the word okay and headed
to baggage claim.

"So what brings you to Chicago?" Patrick asked me as I grabbed my bags off the moving belt.

"There's just been a lot going on. I quit my job in Dallas." I said. I didn't hear Patrick say anything. I looked at him and he was staring at me with a dumbfound expression on his face.

"You quit your job with the Stars?" He asked. I nodded and sighed.

"Why? You loved that job?!" He said to me.

"Oh believe me that job meant everything to me."

"Well then what happened?"

"Tyler Seguin happened." I mumbled. A look of guilt washed
over Patrick's face. I became confused as to why he was so baffled.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Then it hit me. Patrick and Tyler faced each other in the Stanley Cup Final a few months ago. Patrick beat him. That's when I finally realized that Tyler was such a douchebag because of the loss. He's taking his anger and sadness out on everyone surrounding him. He's turned into an arrogant boy because he was still devastated from losing something he wanted so badly.

"We'll talk tonight. Let's go." He said. Then we headed to "The Herald".

------
"HEYYYY MILLIE!!" I heard someone yelling once Patrick and I entered the pub. I looked across the room and I saw Jonathan and the rest of the Chicago Blackhawks sitting and waving at us. I immediately smiled when I got to the table. Jonathan came up and I kissed his cheek and hugged him. I waved at everyone else and sat between Patrick and Jonny.

"So what brings ya to Chicago!?" Brent Seabrook asked. The waiter came up to me and gave me a drink that must have been ordered by Jonathan before I got here.

"Well I decided I needed a vacation so I decided to come see the Stanley Cup Champions!" I said raising my glass. We all cheered and our glasses clanked together before we took a sip.

"Well it's always good to see you Mills!" Patrick said.

"How are you and Jamie doing?!" Corey Crawford asked. I choked on my drink and started coughing. I looked up and everyone was looking at me. Patrick was eating an appetizer and he dropped his fork.

"Uh hum, where did you get the idea that we were a thing?" I asked clearing my throat.

"Jordie was pissed because he was never told about it so he told all of his friends."

"That little shit." I whispered under my breath.

"So speak up. How you guys doing?"

"Well I guess the entire world knows now. We're doing well." I said.

"Does he know that you're here?"

"Um.. No. He doesn't." I said.

"Oh damn girl what makes you hide this?"

"I just need some time to myself." I said. The table was silent and Patrick and Jonny looked pissed.

"Anyone want to order?" The waitress broke the silence.

"Actually no I think I'm gonna go." I said. I took out a ten and put it on the table then got up and left the restaurant. I walked on the sidewalk with tears running down my face. Crying seemed to have been a common thing for me now.

"Millie." I heard Patrick yell. I stopped then turned around.

"Oh my god are you okay?" His face softened.

"Ya know I really came here hoping to tell someone how I'm really feeling without being judged." I said.
U
"Let's head to my place. We'll talk there."

-----

"So your brother hid a job offer from you?" Patrick handed me a beer and sat next to me.

"Yeah. The one person I trusted with my life lied to me."

"Damn that's rough Millie."

"I know. It's just been a really rough couple of months I guess." I said trying to hold in my tears. It wasn't long before Patrick pulled me into his arms and I started sobbing into his shirt. For once I could let it all out. Opening up to Patrick felt good. He was my best friend.

"Now you tell me about Jamie." Patrick let go of the hug and said to me straight in the eye.

"No one was supposed to know." I wiped my eyes and tried to wipe my mascara off my face. Patrick instead wiped my cheeks with his thumb.

"When did you two start dating?" Patrick asked as he kept rubbing away the make up on my cheek.

"Last year at the end of the season." I answered.

"The only people who knew were Loui, Reilly and some of the coaching staff. I made it public though when I quit. I went up to him during training camp, on the ice, and I kissed him." I said.

"So let's move onto quitting. Why was Tyler the reason you quit?" He asked.

"Because of his antics and how immature he was to me. And he let Miriam bring up Adam. Ya know for the longest time I couldn't figure him out. But at the airport when I saw that guilty look on your face I finally realized why he was such a dick. He was hiding the pain from that very day in June."

"Millie I love Seggy. He's a guy I can relate to a lot. In that handshake line he was the only player in tears. Obviously the other players were sad and were hiding the tears but not Tyler. He was in pain. It's like he just lost the love of his life. I felt awful." I took what Patrick said and let it sink in.

"He hid his pain for the rest of the summer and turned into the biggest punk." I said. Now this was my chance. I had to break him. I had to go back to Dallas and get my job back and break Tyler like an egg.

"Patrick, I know what I need to do now." I said looking at my bags.

"I have to go back to Dallas."