P.S. I Think I'm In Love With You

Chapter One

"Anna, honey! Wake up! I don't want you sleeping in all day!" My mom shouted from downstairs.

I groaned and pulled the covers over my head. Unlike my mom, I was not a morning person that woke up at nine o'clock on the dot every morning.

"Anna, I'm serious. I want you out of bed right now," she shouted closer. She must have moved to the foot of the stairs.

"I'm up! I'm up," I called back, not wanting her to come into my room to wake me up personally. I sat up in bed and glanced at my alarm clock, doing a double-take. Why would she wake me up at eight o'clock on a Sunday!

I got out of bed and dragged myself downstairs to find my best friend, Josh, sitting on the couch. I smiled at the familiar sight. His brown hair was swept to the the left side of his face, his warm brown eyes seeming to smile at me, just like they always did. "Morning, Mr. Beldan," I said and sat next to him.

"Morning, Miss Welsh," he said in his usual response. He glanced at me with a small smile. "So, what do you want to do today?"

I shrugged. "I'm still kind of tired. How on earth can you stand getting up this early?"

"I woke up early so I could spend more time with you since school's starting tomorrow," he said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Yeah, sure. Why did you really get up?"

"My mom was going to make me look for houses with her and I decided I'd prefer to visit my best friend instead. You know I hate looking for houses."

"I guess....it's nice to see I'm only your back-up," I said faking a sob.

He laughed and gave me a hug. "You know you'll always be on the top of my list."

"Uh huh. Yeah, whatever you say, Romeo." I pushed him away from me and walked into the kitchen to make some breakfast. I'm not much of a cook. The only thing I could make, without burning, would be food that can be put in the microwave or toaster. So I might have burned food in the microwave a few times, but that's so much preferred than me trying to use the oven.

"Are you making pop-tarts?" He asked sitting on one of the kitchen stools.

"I'm guessing you'd like some?"

He nodded and let out a huge breath of air.

I put four Pop-Tarts in the toaster and leaned against the counter watching Josh. He was looking up at the ceiling with his eyes closed. "What's wrong?"

"Hmm?" He opened his eyes and looked back at me. "Oh, nothing. Just...thinking."

I cocked my head to the side. "Thinking about what exactly?"

"I think my parents are serious this time," he said quietly. "I hope they're not, but, you know how it is with them."

"Don't worry about it, Josh," I said walking towards him. "They said you were going to move a few years ago, didn't they?"

He nodded, obviously not comforted by your words.

"They didn't move then and they aren't moving now. I'll make sure of it." I looked carefully at his face. He was one of my best friends in the world and there was absolutely no way I'd let him move away, at least not without a fight. "Let's do something to get our minds off of this. I'm sure it's nothing. But, just to be on the safe side, I'd rather not think about it."

He nodded a bright smile forming on his once worried face. "What do you want to do?"

I thought for a second and grinned. "Let's go to Alyssa's house and wake her up. Just like we used to do in the good old days."

"Pour water on her?"

"Not pouring water per se. Just a little bit of water. Not like a full blown bucket or anything." I said trying to sound as innocent as possible.

He saw through my charade but grinned nonetheless. "Start getting dressed so we can leave. This joke gets funnier every time."

"I guess," I said climbing up the stairs. "Last time she almost punched me, but, lucky for my quick reflexes, I was able to dodge it."

Josh laughed. "Your reflexes, eh? Once she started screaming you jumped and fell on top of me. That's why you missed her blow," he said laughing still. "You were too low for her to reach you."

"Ugh, whatever. You're just jealous." I walked into the closet and started taking my clothes off. Josh and I had known each other practically since we were born. I never worried about the door being open when he was around. I trusted him. I pulled on a plain gray t-shirt and some old jeans.

Josh sat on my bed looking around at some old pictures of us when we were younger. He skimmed over all the pictures and stopped the longest of a picture when I kissed him on the cheek. We were only six when the picture was taken and I could see a small smile forming on his lips.

"Ready to go or what?" I called from the door ruining his trip down memory lane.

"Oh, yeah. Right," he said casting the picture one more glance before we walked out of my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
constructive criticism please! i'm rewriting the story so if you've read it before i guarantee it'll be better :D