P.S. I Think I'm In Love With You

Chapter Three

"Anna? The answer for number three please," Mrs. Tarleton repeated for the second time. "Anna?"

I continued staring at the wall until I realized that everyone in the entire class was staring at me. I looked quickly around the room and finally realized Mrs. Tarleton asked me a question. "Uhh...what did you say again?"

Mrs. Tarleton shook her head and sat in her chair in the front of the room like she always does whenever she gets frustrated; unfortunately, she only sits in the chair when she begins talking to me. "I would like to know your answer for last night's assignment, Anna."

"Oh," I answered immediately regretting not checking my planner last night. I could have sworn there was no homework! "I got..." My brain quickly ran through a list of excuses I could give or fake answers. I said the first thing that came to my mind: "Five."

Everyone in the classroom burst out laughing. Mrs. Tarleton didn't seem to think this was as funny and continued looking at me. "Do you even have any idea which class you're in?"

I stared back at her confused. "I don't understand what you mean..."

She sighed. "How can five be your answer if we're in history and we're learning about the civil war?"

It took a second for me to process what she said and I started blushing. "The number of casualties?" I tried, pathetically. This was definitely the last time I would ever use my favorite number as an answer again.

"Miss Welsh, I suggest you at least try to pretend you understand what's going on in this class." Mrs. Tarleton looked at my red face for a few more seconds before she looked at her watch. "There's five minutes left. You can do whatever you want for the rest of the period. Just keep your noise level down."

"Is five seriously the best you could do?" Some guy next to me asked before he began snickering. "I bet I can guess what your answer would be for a math problem..." He paused and closed his eyes as if he was having a vision. (And he thinks I'm the freak!) "Ice cream would probably be your answer."

He started laughing and I joined with him this time. "Hey! Do you know what else is funny?" I asked still pretending to laugh with him.

He tried to catch his breath and wiped a tear from his eye. "What?"

"The fact that you're failing this class and I'm not!" I burst out laughing again and he stopped immediately.

"Dude, that's not funny."

"It is to me." The bell rang and everyone got out of their seats. "It was nice talking to you. Maybe we'll finish this up later." I left the classroom with him glaring at my back.

"Hey, Anna!"

On reflex of hearing my name, I immediately turned around to see who was calling me. Victoria Cade tried to push her way through the crowd to get to me. Victoria wasn't what I would call one of my close friends but more of an acquaintance. We would talk to each other only if there was no one around to talk to or if we had trouble with homework.

"I was hoping that I could-" She put her index finger up showing me that she wanted me to wait a second. She leaned against the lockers and closed her eyes, trying to catch her breath again. I slouched a bit so I could be more at eye level with her even though her eyes were closed. She was only 5'1 and everyone seemed to tower over her.

She opened her eyes again and apologized briefly. "As I was saying, I was hoping I could ask you something."

I nodded quickly for her to continue.

"I was wondering if you would mind if I went out with Josh," she finished quickly, scanning my face for a reaction.

"Of course I wouldn't mind. What made you think I would?"

"You two have always been real close and I just figured there had to be something going on between you two."

"He's just my close friend. Go for it."

"Are you sure?" She asked. "I mean...I just like him. It's nothing...to big. I just don't want any problems with you since, I mean...you two are really close and-"

"Don't worry about it," I answered reassuringly. "Alyssa and I have been trying to get him a girlfriend for a long time."

Relief flooded through her gentle features. "Do you...do you think he'll like me?"

"I'll put in a good word for you," I said with a wink. She smiled and walked away with a little more bounce to her step. I smiled to myself. Josh has no idea how many girls like him. He doesn't pay any attention to them though. It's always just me and Alyssa. If he got a girlfriend things would probably change. I frowned a bit. I just hope she isn't one of those girls that tries to control everything he does. I shrugged and walked towards my next class.