Dusk & Summer

She just might get you lost

anna.
oct 05, 2005.
london, england.

I glanced down at the thin, silver watch on my wrist for what must have been the tenth time that morning. He'd be in London by now, I thought, and a pleasant shiver ran up my spine. I hadn't seen him in so long but my feelings for him hadn't gone away.

I stood by reception with a glass of water, waiting for my next client. I normally didn't mind working at the spa but today, I was restless and longed to leave. Not that I could even see him today, he had that interview to do. But still...there was always the chance I'd bump into him somewhere...

"Anna, your next client has just arrived." Beth, the receptionist, told me, snapping me out of my daydream where I bump into Tom outside the Savoy Hotel in Strand, and he invites me up into his hotel room and--

"Anna?" Beth was giving me a funny look. I jumped guiltily and looked at her with wide eyes. "...Are you going to see to your client?"

"Yes, yes of course. Sorry." I quickly set my empty cup down on the counter and fixed a wide smile to my face as I turned to the blonde, already pampered-looking middle aged woman talking into her cellphone. She indicated to me that she was ready and I turned to lead her down the corridor, rolling my eyes as I did so.

Image

"Hello?" I said down the phone eagerly.

"Hi Anna." I heard him say back. I could hear in his voice that he was smiling. "How are you?"

"I'm good thanks. Just walking home."

"You walked from Covent Garden?!"

I laughed and shook my head, even though he couldn't see me.

"No, I'm walking from Camden tube station."

"Oh right, okay."

There was a pause, until I spoke again.

"So what are you up to?"

"Oh, just...in my hotel room. Got back from Kerrang a little while ago."

There was another pause, but it sounded like Tom wasn't finished speaking so I didn't fill it.

"So...do you uh...what- do you want to have dinner tonight?" He asked, and a wide smile spread over my lips.

"That would be great." I replied, as I swung open the front garden gate and walked up the drive.

"Awesome, well uh...it's five thirty now, so..."

"How about we meet at 8?" I asked, as I fished my keys out of my bag.

"That sounds good. Where?"

"Outside Liverpool Street Station? That's an easy place to meet."

"Okay, awesome."

"Where are we gonna go eat?" I asked, smiling as I walked up the stairs heavily to my flat.

"I don't know, you choose this time."

I could tell Tom was smiling as he spoke.

"Okay." I replied, throwing my bag and coat down onto the sofa and walking into my bedroom. "So I'll see you at 8 then."

"See you then. Bye."

I hung up and dropped my phone onto the bed. Then I turned and stared into the old-fashioned, full length mirror next to my wardrobe. I had to look good. I had to make sure I looked good; not too young, I didn't want him to suddenly remember I was almost a decade younger than him and freak out. I needed to look sexy but not slutty, and like I hadn't made any effort with my outfit at all. This required very careful planning.

tom.
We'd arranged to meet outside Liverpool Street Station, but I had no clue where we were gonna go after that. I was going to let Anna decide, seeing as she knew London so much better than me, obviously.

I exhaled heavily and looked down at my watch. Almost 8pm. I was a little early. I glanced down at what I was wearing, a pair of pale denim jeans and a plain white t shirt under my brown leather jacket. I didn't dress up because I was hoping this evening would be casual and relaxed. I knew it would be if Anna decided where we were going.

I was sat on the stone steps leading inside the station, looking around me every few minutes for any glimpse of Anna. I sucked on my lip as I looked behind me casually, towards the station, until I heard a voice.

"Excuse me?" It wasn't Anna, it was a guy. I turned my head back and looked up at a young couple that I didn't recognise.

"I'm really sorry to bother you mate, but could I just get a photo with you?" said the guy. He looked about 20, and he had messy, longish black hair and a spiked bull ring through his septum. He was wearing a leather jacket, tight black jeans and converse on his feet.

"No problem man." I said shortly, as I stood up and brushed off the back of my jeans. I was used to it. He grinned and quickly handed his phone to his girlfriend, before standing next to me. I smiled for the camera as she took the picture with his phone, before he turned towards me and held out his hand. "Thanks a lot man."

I shook his hand and smiled at him.

"No problem."

"How come you're in London?" He asked me, and I glanced around again for any sign of Anna.

"Uh, well I had an interview today for a magazine, so..."

He was nodding.

"That's cool. Well it was great to meet you. You're like my idol man, seriously."

I grinned politely but I'd heard it all before.

"Thanks a lot, it was nice to meet you man."

He shook my hand again before wrapping his arm around his girlfriend. I watched the young couple walk off, as the boy grabbed his phone out of her hand and looked at the picture eagerly. I breathed out heavily and stuffed my hands in my pockets as I looked around casually again. I still couldn't see her, so I sat back down on the steps. I pulled my phone out of my pocket but I had no missed calls or messages. It was just after 8 now.

She'll be here soon, I thought, but my stomach still did a nervous flip. What if she didn't turn up?

I ruffled my hair with a sigh and glanced up again, not expecting to see her, but of course this time I did. She was walking out of the station and looking around her. She hadn't seen me yet. I stood up quickly. I had actually forgotten just how gorgeous she was. I couldn't help my gaze trail up and down her body as she suddenly spotted me and grinned. Her dress showed off how sexy her curves were, and her heels made her legs look absolutely amazing.

I managed to tear my eyes away and look up at her, she was grinning happily at me, her eyes sparkling. I grinned back and as she reached me she gave me a big kiss on the cheek before hugging me. I hugged her back tightly, my mouth almost splitting from my wide smile.

"It's been so long!" She exclaimed from behind my ear. I could smell her neck, and I could feel how soft her cheek was against my jaw. I forced myself to control my hands from straying downwards as they rested on her slender back until we both pulled apart.

"How've you been?" I asked her and she shrugged and smiled.

"Okay. You?"

I did the same and laughed.

"So where are we going?" I then asked, and Anna looked at me with a mischievous smile as we started walking back into the station.

"Soho." She told me simply, and I laughed.

"Sounds good. Whereabouts in Soho?"

As we descended the stairs into the underground, Anna suddenly stopped and grabbed my arm. She looked worried.

"You like Chinese food, right?" She asked anxiously, and I frowned and nodded.

"Of course I do."

She relaxed and carried on walking, but she still hadn't told me where we were heading towards.

"Anna, where are we going?!" I asked with a laugh as we walked through the tube station. She laughed and said simply, "Ping Pong."

"What?!"

She laughed again as the train pulled into the station, and the gust of wind it brought with it whipped Anna's hair round her face. The doors opened and we stepped onto the train, quickly grabbing two free seats before they were taken.

"Anna, why the hell did you just say 'ping pong' to me?" I asked her, and she laughed.

"That's where we're going! We're going to a Chinese restaurant in Soho called Ping Pong. It does dim sum. It's amazing."

"Oh right. That sounds good."

I grinned at her, then settled back in my seat and looked up at the map above us.

"Where are we getting off then?"

"Oxford Circus." She told me, and I scanned the map. We had six stops.

"So how've you been?" I asked her as she looked down and fiddled with the strap of her handbag. She looked over at me and flashed me her dazzling smile.

"Alright. Not a lot's been going on really...nothing you'd find interesting." She nudged me and I frowned unhappily.

"Hey, you make me sound like such a jerk! Of course I'd be interested!"

She laughed and leant forward, close to me. I could smell her perfume. I tried not to look so expectant as I watched her, my chest rising and falling slightly faster. I could see her eyes properly for the first time. They were gray. Pale gray, but with long flecks of a darker gray as well. She had such big eyes. And her eyelashes were long and an intensely dark, sooty black.

"I was joking." She whispered to me, and winked. I forgot to answer, or react, as she leant back in her seat and pulled her phone out of her bag. My heart was still beating a little bit faster than normal and I was lost in my own thoughts.

I wanted her so much, I'd forgotten just how attracted to her I was. Every time I saw her, I found her more and more sexy. In some ways it was a good thing; it meant I was getting over my divorce. But then there was the fact that, Anna was almost ten years younger than me and lived in a different continent. Plus I wasn't even sure if she thought of me in that way whatsoever.

When we reached the stop, Anna led the way up the stairs to the cold night's air. I wrapped my jacket round me tighter and sniffed as my breath came out in visible puffs of smoke.

Anna linked her arm through mine as we walked down the street; she was chatting casually but all I could think about was the warmth I could feel coming from her body, the way her cheeks had turned a delicate shade of pink from the cold. The way her eyes lit up when she smiled at me.

She suddenly stopped and opened a door, pulling me inside after her. A rush of warm air and faint chatter hit me as a waiter stepped forward with a smile. He showed us to a table, and I looked around interestedly as I slipped off my jacket. It was a small, dark room with modern black furniture, mixed with Chinese decorations. It looked smart but casual.

"What are you going to get?" She asked, and I chewed on my lower lip as I studied the drinks menu.

"I want to get a cocktail, they're amazing here!" She continued, and I looked up at her and laughed.

"I don't think I'm going to."

"No, go on! I won't judge you if you get a nice, girly cocktail." She winked at me and I laughed loudly again, before shaking my head as our waiter appeared.

"Would you like to order your drinks?" He asked with a polite smile, and Anna raised her eyebrows with a significant look in her eye. I grinned lopsidedly and looked down at the drinks menu again.

"I'll have...a glass of the Merlot, please."

Anna sighed and tutted disapprovingly as I set my menu down and grinned at her.

"And can I have...the passion fruit and apple Martini, please."

"Of course, I'll just bring those over in a minute for you."

"Thank you." We both said softly at the same time as he walked away. Anna leant forward, resting her elbows on the table and smiling at me wickedly.

"You're so boring." She teased. The glint in her eye let me know she was joking. I laughed and leant forward too, cautiously. Was she flirting with me? It seemed like she was but I didn't want to get the wrong impression.

"I'll just try yours!" I said back with a grin and she laughed.

"Oh will you now!" She exclaimed, with mock disapproval as she leant back in her seat and picked up her menu. "Let's choose our food."

After a second I copied her and pretended to study the menu with interest. I couldn't tell if she was flirting with me or not. I'd forgotten how nerve-racking dating was.

"What are you gonna get?" I asked Anna, unsure of what to order myself and hoping she could guide me a bit.

"I think I'll get the Pak choy with ginger sauce, and the steamed spinach and mushroom dim sum. What about you?"

"Uhh..." I looked down at my menu again. "I'll get...the sticky rice. And...the chicken wonton soup."

"That sounds good." She smiled up at me, and we both closed our menus as the waiter reappeared with our drinks. He placed my wine glass, full to the brim with the sweet smelling, dark red liquid, down in front of me before putting Anna's cocktail glass down on her side of the table.

"Are you ready to order?" He then asked, pulling out his little notepad and pencil. We gave him our orders and he left us in peace.

Image

"We have this argument every time we go out, you are not paying for me, Tom!"

"Look, I want to!"

"But I don't want you to!"

"Anna, please, just let me pay for the meal-"

"No. I don't need you to pay for me, Tom."

I fell silent and looked down awkwardly. I didn't want her to think I was splashing my money around and rubbing it in her face. I just wanted to pay for her.

"Anna-"

"You can just buy me a drink later on." She interrupted, and I looked up to see a sly smile on her face. A grin slowly stretched my mouth as Anna counted out her half of the bill and placed it on the tray, and I did the same quickly after, as well as leaving a tip.

Image

She linked her arm through mine as we walked through Spitalfields Market. The bars to our left were full of talking and laughter, they were so busy that people were standing, hovering by tables and waiting to pounce as soon as someone got up to head inside for another drink. I expected Anna to take me into one of these bars but after a few moments they were all behind us, and we were heading down a dark, deserted alleyway towards a parking lot. I frowned in confusion but didn't say anything.

We crossed the parking lot, and I stared around me interestedly at all the graffiti and art work. It seemed like such an obscure place to have it.

Suddenly I heard the faint sound of music and chatter, and it began to grow louder. We turned a corner, and up ahead was a vibrant bar, music pumping out of it and people scattered outside in a cloud of cigarette smoke, laughing and drinking.

Image

"You okay?" Anna shouted to me over the loud music, grinning at me as I took a swig from my fourth beer bottle. I grinned and nodded as I lowered the bottle from my mouth. A big smile appeared on her face as she squeezed my forearm briefly before leaning across the bar to ask the barman for another drink.

I watched her as she spoke; I couldn't help staring at her lips. They looked so full and soft. I wanted to kiss her so much. Maybe it was the alcohol in my blood stream making me more confident, but when she turned back to me with a casual smile on her lips, something made me set down my beer bottle on the counter and lick my lips nervously. She smiled up at me, and I smiled back awkwardly as my eyes darted around us quickly.

Just as she started to say something, I forced myself to stop thinking. I quickly leant down and interrupted her mid-sentence by pushing my lips into hers. It was the clumsiest and worst-timed kiss I'd ever experienced in my life.

I could feel her standing dead still, completely shell shocked. I broke the kiss quickly and took a step back, heat creeping up my neck and making my whole face burn.

"I'm- I'm sorry, I shouldn't've-" I mumbled, even though she probably couldn't even hear me. I rubbed my hot face with my hand nervously, and turned to leave.

"Tom!" I heard her call faintly but I carried on walking, too embarassed to even raise my head.

"Tom, stop. Please." I heard her call again, following me through the busy club. I quickly slipped past the bouncers and out the front door into the cool night's air, running my fingers through my hair, damp with sweat from the hot, cramped bar.

I quickly continued walking down the road in the direction of the tube station after hearing the door open again after me.

"Tom, please stop." I heard Anna beg, her high heels clicking on the concrete beneath us as she followed me down the surprisingly empty road, away from the buzzing chatter outside the bar. "Why are you leaving?"

"Because I kissed you!" I cried in disbelief, not turning to face her and not stopping. "Why did I do that?! What made me think you'd ever be interested in me like that?"

"Tom-"

"Christ Anna," I interrupted her. I finally stopped walking and turned to face her, my face burning again upon seeing her as she caught up with me. She looked even more gorgeous now. Her dirty blonde hair was tousled and hung round her shoulders, framing her face. Her cheeks were flushed and her lips looked a dark, plum red as she looked up at me with big, pale gray eyes. I sighed with embarrassment and looked away as I continued. "I'm almost ten years older than you and I have the nerve to try and-"

But she cut me off by quickly leaning up on tiptoes and pressing her soft lips against mine in a kiss, reaching up with one hand and placing it on the nape of my neck. I froze with shock, before slowly relaxing and shutting my eyes, gingerly placing my hand on her curvy waist as I kissed her back.

I felt her reach up and wrap her other arm around my neck as we made the kiss deeper, so I found the confidence to slide my hands around her waist and pull her body closer to mine until our torso's gently banged together. I felt her tongue brush against my top lip, and I quickly met it with my own as our mouths opened against each other's. In those few moments, I completely forgot everything else. I forgot about Jen, I forgot about my divorce, I forgot entirely about my life back in California. I just enjoyed the sensation of this kiss down a cold, dark, deserted London road.

As Anna slowly broke her lips away from mine, I found myself breathless and slightly dizzy.

"I'm glad you kissed me." She said softly, leaving her arms wrapped around me.

"I'm...I'm glad I did, too." I replied in a soft, dazed voice, and she smiled.