Days Are Gone

one.

A soft yawn slipped past Este’s lips as she sat on the windowsill of her favorite coffee shop. It was early enough that the morning commuters and hung over college students had yet to pollute the building. As she yawned a second time, Este stretched out her arms.

“You pack quite a punch for five in the morning.”

Este gasped and jumped off the sill to stand in front of the stranger, “I am so sorry,” she pleaded, “I must have been lost in my own mind, I didn’t realize someone had sat down next to me…”

The man let out a low chuckle that sent Este’s stomach in a tizzy, “It’s not a problem; I’ve taken much worse.” He gave her a quick wink before motioning to the small backpack that hung off her shoulder, “You go to school around here?”

“Oh, no I just moved into town about a month ago. I’m still waiting for some of my boxes to make it here.” Este tucked a stray hair behind her ear and smiled, “Between you and me, I have a feeling they lost my stuff.”

“I know what you mean. I travel quite a bit for work and I can’t even begin to tell you how many bags the airlines have lost.”

There was comfortable silence between the two before the barista set two cups down on the counter, “Americana for Kris and Americana with soy for Este.” Both Este and the man beside her moved toward the counter to pick up their respective cups.

“Would you look at that, we got the same drink.” Este smiled, mentally scolding herself for stating the painfully obvious.

Kris nodded, “So what brought you to the Burgh, Este?”

The sound of her name rolling off his tongue sent chills down her spine, “I’m nannying for a friend of mine. She and her fiance just moved up here from Dallas; he’s an athlete.”

“Dallas eh? I go down there a few times a year. You certainly don’t have the accent for it.”

“You’re not the only one who travels a lot. Originally from New Jersey, did some drifting after high school.”

Kris ran his free hand through his hair, nearly choking as he caught sight of his watch, “Ah shit.. I’m going to be late. It was really nice meeting you, Este.”

The brunette couldn’t help but frown as she watched Kris brush past her and run out of the store. Realizing she too was running late, Este waved goodbye to the barista and left the shop. There was a heavy fog that hung low in the sky as she made her way through downtown Pittsburgh. The smell of pancakes and coffee wafted through the entryway of the Neal apartment as Este stepped out of her boots and hung up her coat.

Quinn Neal was standing by the stove, a spatula in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. Her dirty blonde hair was pulled into a messy bun on the top of her head. “Hey Essie, James is already at the rink and Liam is still sleeping.”

Este dropped her backpack on the counter and took a seat at the breakfast bar. She watched her friend dance through the kitchen with ease, “I met a guy at the coffee shop today.”

The blonde nearly dropped her cup and turned around with wide eyes, “Oh… is that so?” Her voice was laced with trepidation, “What was he like?”
♠ ♠ ♠
whooop, new story!