Days Are Gone

three.

The coffee shop was dead silent. With a few minutes to spare before heading to Quinn’s, Este sipped her from a ceramic mug. She sat in the window sill as she did every day with a book cradled in her hands. The brunette enjoyed the silence, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. A gentle buzzing came from her back pocket causing Este to chug the last drops of her coffee and hop off the windowsill. She tossed her book back into her backpack and threw it over her shoulder before heading to the counter to drop off the mug.

“Este, hey! How’s it going?”

Este turned to face the voice and furrowed her brow. She racked her brain for some sort of recognition of the man before giving him a curt nod and walking out of the shop. The brunette arrived at the Neal residence with a look of confusion painted across her face.

“Hey, what’s going on in that pretty head of yours?” Quinn asked as she walked into the kitchen with Liam on her hip.

Este kicked off her shoes and hung her jacket in the closet, “There was a guy at the coffee shop that knew my name.” She furrowed her brown, “Don’t get me wrong, he was really cute! I just don’t remember ever seeing him around before.”

Quinn slid her son into his high-chair and placed a bowl of Cheerios in front of him, “Maybe you slept with him and just forgot about it.” With a shrug and lingering feeling of doubt, Este decided to move past it. The blonde smiled as she watched her son stuff fists full of cereal into his mouth; she leaned back against the counter and sighed, “We’ve got a busy afternoon; some of the guys from the team are coming over so we have to run to the grocery store and pick up salad stuff and hamburger buns.

As the girls plus Liam wandered around the store, Este couldn’t help but scoff at the excessive amount of American flag decorated merchandise for sale; Valentine's Day had only just passed, what happened to Easter? Quinn rushed around the store with the cart while Este moseyed along with Liam on her hip. The second they returned, Quinn became a tornado in the kitchen while Este put the baby down for a nap.

A few hours later, the front door slammed shut. Este was alone in the apartment with the baby; Quinn had run out to the liquor store to stock up for the afternoon. The brunette held Liam tightly to her chest as she cautiously made her way to the entryway. A man by the coat rack, stepping out of his sneakers. His back was to Este. All she could really make out of the man from her two second peak around the corner was a decent flow of brown hair sticking out of the back of his baseball hat.

As he turned and began making his way to the kitchen, Este gasped nearly dropping the baby in her arms. The man turned with a look of shock before relief washed over. He smiled and took a step toward the frightened woman.

“Who are you?” She barked defensively.

He furrowed his brow and dropped his outstretched hand, “Kris, Kris Letang... we met the other day at the coffee shop?”

Este instinctively took a step back, “I’ve never seen you before in my life. Is this some kind of sick joke? I don’t know who you are or how you got it. If you’re here to rob me, you’re in the wrong place. My friend’s fiancé will be home any minute and he is a professional athlete. Please leave before anyone gets hurt.”

“I’m not here to hurt or rob anyone.” Kris laughed with a bemused look on his face.

“Then what is it you want? Leave before I call the police!” Este held onto Liam fiercely as she began to pull out her cell phone.

Before Este had a chance to dial 9-1-1, the front door opened and closed again. This time a far more familiar face appeared. James stepped through the threshold and examined the scenario before him. Este and his son were nearly backed into the corner of the room while Kris stood opposite them with his hands in the air and a smile on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
so this didn't exactly turn out as I wanted it to, but i'm just going to go with it. i couldn't stand looking at it anymore. feedback/comments are always appreciated. love you all!