Gensokyo 20XXIV: At Winter's Mercy and the World Without Sunshine

Part IV

Ran, for once, in a long time, aside from that one time she tried to kill herself (again), finally got out of bed and started to walk around. She looked dazed and seemed to be rather spacey. Her eyes were perpetually wide and she startled at almost everything, much like Yukari does, only she can see, Yukari's vision isn't very good. According to Ren, Ran is reconnecting with him. Even though her expression was rather numbed, we could see that she was rather surprised that he remained devoted to her all that time. He loved her, regardless of what happened, and was more than willing to stay devoted of her, even if it meant going to the grave. I haven't seen such a devotion in lovers before, neither in youkai nor humans. Their romance was a curiousity to me and things seem to be clearer. It was pleasant to see such unwavering devotion amongst lovers, after living for several centuries on Earth where humans and youkai alike routinely toss each other aside, doubly so if they loved someone. I hope those two get married someday and, when they do, I want to be a bridesmaid.
***
"Don't leave us, Mommy!"
***
"Mommy, where are you going?"

"I'm sorry, I have to go now."

"Take me with you, don't leave me!"

"No, Chen, you have to stay."

"Come back, where are you going? Don't leave us, come back!"

"Goodbye Chen."

"Don't leave us, Mommy!"
***
"Chen, wake up, wake up!" Renko's voice was screaming in my face. I woke up, brushing her away. I was having a nightmare and they never did seem to stop. Every time I have those nightmares, I scream for Ran and every nightmare is almost just the same. They never did seem to stop and I wanted nothing more than to put an end to them. They won't stop....
***
"You know, Mommy loves you, don't you?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry, Chen."

"MOMMY!"
***
Every night, I had those nightmares. They would keep coming and coming, never at all seeming to leave. They never stopped and I never knew why I was having these nightmares.....
***
"Mommy? Mommy? MOMMY?!!"
***
....and why they won't go away. Ran's stopped trying to kill herself but the nightmares won't leave. I would like for them to stop but I don't know how to make them stop. They still come and I tried to keep them secret. No one can know I have nightmares and, if Mommy finds out, she might try to kill herself again.
***
"Where's Mommy?"

"Oh, sweetheart, she can't be with you anymore."

"Where did she go?"

"She's not here anymore, Chen, she's gone to be amongst the stars. She won't be coming back."

"No, no, it's not true!"

"It is, sweetheart, I'm so sorry."

"No, no- MOMMY!"
***
I awoke to water being splashed on my face and I found Yuuka, in her hair rollers and nightgown. It was still late and she seemed to have just awakened. She wiped my face with a tea towel (as she called it) and told me everything was to be alright. I asked her how, to which she said, "It's alright if you've been having nightmares, I will have had them, too, if I had seen someone I love attempt suicide right in front of me, doubly so if I were a child." She hugged me close, saying, "Times have been hard on us all but they have been hardest on you even more so. Ran won't leave you, dearest, and she's getting well. She's missed you and is wondering about you, wanting nothing more than to have your forgiveness for her attempting to die and abandon you." She picked me up and carried me back to bed, tucking me in, and bidding me goodnight, also giving a peice of chocolate.
***
"Pubbie~!"
***
As Reimu learns to speak more, her interactions are nothing more than sweet and she's started to interact with Ran's pup, the final one of her litter. She's started to grow and it's been awhile since she was born, so she has started to walk around, more or less. She's endlessly curious about her surroundings but I do worry as this one doesn't seem to have a profound ability to see or has awful vision. Ran worries, too, of course. It seemed that the poor dear has had her eyes site damaged when the bomb was dropped. Neverthless, the little dear seemed to enjoy life, despite her handicap. Seeing her with terrible vision, I find it rather strange it juxtaposes the fact that Chen dear can see, whereas the little one cannot. Fortunately, Winston isn't too far away and seems to arrive at just the right moment. Ducksie, on the other hand, is trying to reconnect and she has been making progress.

In thinking of progress, I couldn't help but to wonder how much time has passed and how many of us had gone by this point. Reimu dear's mother has taken ill again with long term illness and she's passed away. As she lie dying of her illness, her last wish was for Yukari to take care of Reimu and she's spent her final moments thanking Yukari for caring for Reimu all that time and sharing her last wishes that we take care of Reimu, only, better than she ever could. We buried her next to Sakuya and all of the others. Aside from a photograph of her, it was if she were never there and Reimu dear didn't seem to notice her abscence, then again, the little dear has already forgotten her before regression and hasn't had much of any sort of contact with her prior to her death
***
"I told your asses that, if you EVER try to eat Reimu again, I was going to turn you into burgers!"
***
Stupid filthy bastard kitsunes, how dare they try to eat Reimu?! I cannot at all understand why anyone would like to eat Reimu, after all, little children do not make efficient meals, especially for a group, and, naturally, I cannot see why anyone would want to eat children period. Well, not on my watch! This can and won't stand or else there will be bastard kitsune burgers. After some time, I realized they didn't necessarily want to make a meal of Reimu, rather, there is something special about her. I don't know what but they always attempt to get her. It seems like Reimu has something they want but what is it?

It seems they probably see her as some sort of threat to their existence which would be impossible as Reimu is but a small child, then again, that's what they said about Flandre and we see how that happened, though that could be because of what happened with that one time with Yukari and they had it coming. Nevertheless, the fucking bastards seem to want to be rid of Reimu and it isn't because they wish to make a meal of her. What sort of power does she hold? She's but a baby, so how can babies be a threat to anyone but they still try to get at her.

Still, they always want to be rid of her. I've gotten to be more watchful of this. Recently, they attempted to make off with her in the night but we caught them before they could get any further. As I held her in my arms, one of the little fuckers spoke, "You really want her to live? How preposterous, clearly, she is only going to mean trouble." Yukari blinked her narrowed eyes and said, in a coherent voice, "To you, she is trouble, hence, that is why you wish to end her life because you see her as some sort of threat to your existence. However, whatever the sort may be, she is precious to us and not at all a threat to anyone's life, yet, so get your asses out of here before I decide to end yours right here, right now, and never return." She hissed and said, "Very well, as you wish."
***
"I'm not hungry, Huzi."

"Good, neither am I, actually, I'm just tired and your ass is on bottom bunk remember?"

"Oh, I forgot but can I sleep here just for now?"

"Oh, alright, just for tonight but, tomarra, you get your ass back in your own bed."