Gensokyo 20XXIV: At Winter's Mercy and the World Without Sunshine

Part V

Sometimes, I feel so tired. According to Yuuka, this because its nerves. Nerves, I suppose is a nice explanation, after all, life since the Okuu bombs haven't been easier and we've had to shuffle if not pull our weight from time to time, doubly so since that thing that lead to the hole in the roof. Neither Huzi nor I were hungry, again, also nerves. Between the hole in the roof, protecting the youngest, and having to wash clothes and beat them dry, I would say it is nerves. Nerves would be the reason as to why Yukari screams at night, then again, she could be asking for her knitting needles the only way she seems to think will call attention to matter. Nerves would pretty much explain why Yuyuko is in a foul mood and why Koishi urinated on herself, again, as well why Ran is neurotic and emotional most of time.

Nerves, of course! Yuuka was right after all.
***
"I wish I could go outside and play."

"Yes, yes, I understand dear but it is the correct thing that you don't."

"Why?"

"Because it is dangerous and we've had several close shaves, rather."
***
I wanted to go outside but I was told I couldn't unless, I have to use the bathroom. However, I still would like to play in the snow. It seems like fun and being inside is boring. Of course, safety is always important, more so than going outside to play in the snow. Considering what happened with Reimu, I suppose they could be right about not allowing me to play in the snow, even for one day. I tried to sneak out once but Yukari caught me and waved her finger in front of my face. She was displeased again. After awhile, she seemed to have caved and said, "Let's go outside and play, sweetheart."

For once we got to play in the snow and it was like old times, until Reimu crawled off again. We found her, next to rather fat kitsune. He didn't seem rather borthered by her prescence and he didn't look like he wanted to eat her. He didn't even seem annoyed with Reimu pulling at his hair and she didn't seem annoyed when he plopped shiitake mushrooms on her head. Actually, she seemed to like that, which made her pull at his hair more. She stopped pulling at his hair and went to eat the mushrooms. Yukari said, "Don't worry, he seems to have befriended Reimu and isn't bothered by her antics." He wasn't bothered by her and was fat because he ate so many mushrooms. When Yukari went to get Reimu, he handed her to her and bid us good day. Reimu was still eating those mushrooms.

That day was nice.
***
"Yes, yes, Winston, how's Ran doing?"

"She's doing alright, much better than before."
***
Ducksie has been getting well and has been more coherant, bonding pleasantly with her baby, Yume Ni and the other children. For once, she spoke coherantly and didn't cry at the drop of a hat, neither did she seem to act like a born worrier. She also seemed to be more willing to engage in small talk, as I could see her doing so with Reimu. Apparently, despite being paralyzed, thus having no ability to walk, Reimu stated she was happy anyway. It seemed Ran found some comtort in that, knowing that she could enjoy life, even though she's took a horrible fall, was brainwashed into not having a sense of danger, and that having someone she trusted almost attemp a murder suicide with her. Perhaps she took that as she should be happy with life, too. I suppose we all should, doubly so since we are at winter's mercy and in a world where there is no spring or sunshine.

On an important note, it didn't take her long for her pleasant memories to resurface, especially since Kagu and Huzi dear brought up Yukari's photo album that was one of the few things Yukari could salvage from Gensokyo, as it was collapsing. Ran looked through it for an hour before closing it, saying, "Some of the pages are empty. Time to create new memories." She set it down and walked around to a box, pulling out an old sort of camera, the sort where one takes pictures and it comes out. She took pictures of Reimu, Maribel, Renko, Yume Ni, Winston, and the rest of us for a little while and placed them in the photo album. She created new memories, something she wanted to do.

She was happy again and returned to her old self. That camera, on the other hand, still had film in it.

***
"Mommy!"
***
"Mommy!" we heard a little voice say in the middle of the night. It was Reimu calling for Yukari again. She had awakened from her sleep and was doing what she normally does. I could hear Yukari's lumbering footsteps going up the stairs to the room where they slept. I could hear Reimu saying another sentence, "I love you, Mommy." Yukari responded by saying, "I love you, too." Pretty soon, other little voices, I could hear were Maribel and Renko's voice, saying the same thing. It was rather comforting to hear such small voices in expression of affection. It seemed they wanted to be held.

Being held, hmmph, such a comforting feeling.
***
"What on earth is that sort of racket?!"

"It's called 'gekkering'."

"Well, then where is it coming from?"

"Yume Ni and Reimu, they're playing."

"Oh, I see, well, I suppose it is a might bit early, for that, the sun's just come up."
***
"Ack-ack-ack-ackawoooo-ack-ack-ack!" was a noise that awoke some of us from our sleep and was alerting us it was morning but for the rest of us it was a prelude to playtime, even though it was early. Yume Ni seemed to rather energetic, as did Reimu, and both were playing. It was comforting to hear that sound coming from a little pup and to know it was but mere play behavior. As we were eating breakfast, I heard that gekkering sound again, prompting one of us to go outside and investigate. There were small patches of blood in the snow and it seemed Ran had a disagreement with one of those bastards and it ended with being injured. She was bleeding from her arm and took some time for Yukari to patch up. She was fine afterwards and promptly went back to her old self, back to what she normally does.

After some time, we heard that gekkering sound again. To much amusement, it was more playtime, in the snow. It seemed the kitsune had fun to be had.
***
"Bullshit!"
***
For once, it seemed Reimu had something to say, after being silent for a little while. However, the first thing she did say was, "Bullshit!" She was upset when she said it and figured that is what the adults say when they get upset but it seemed she was calling attention to something that upset her. She said it again but this time with, "I not want that, that yours! I want, that mine, mine not yours!" I had gone to investigate and found Reimu holding Chen's breadcrust, which wasn't as large as hers, and Chen holding Reimu's breadcrust. It seemed Chen wanted the bigger piece and swapped Reimu with hers. I watched for a moment to see what would happen next and the next thing Reimu said was, "Give back now!" She seemed to ignore her, prompting my intervention. "Chen!" I said, grabbing her attention. I folded my arms and said, "This is NOT how we behave, now you give Reimu back her breadcrust and you eat yours!" With reluctnance, she gave it back, leading for Reimu to turn to me and say, "Thank 'ou." In a small moment of sweetness, I watched her share little bits of her breadcrust with those sitting around her. She may have been age-regressed but it seems she has kept some semblance of her personality along with it, the part that made her such a dear girl.

Later on, while I was reading, she crawled over to me and hugged my leg, saying, with some difficulty, "I....love...you." After hugging my leg, she raised her arms and said, "Up!" I picked her up and sat her on my lap, concluding she read with me. When I was finished, I sat her on the floor and watched her as she crawled over to Maribel, saying, "Mulberrybel." I watched the two, noticing their interactions, especially how they passed around a rattle. Maribel would play with it and then would pass it to Reimu, Renko joining them after. They played awhile, before they stopped and said, "I love you." to each other.

Throughout, the day, Reimu interactions were nothing short of sweet. She was sweet to almost everyone and everything she's met, not at all wavering or thinking someone isn't at all going to be loved. Perhaps not having a sense of danger and being fearless has made her love this large snowball of a world and life itself. She was a small and innocent child, so I expected it so, but it is because she doesn't fear or sense danger seems to have made her become able to be friends with anyone and anything, from a kitsune fat from eating mushrooms to forgiving a once mentally ill and suicidal one. Perhaps it is her inability to fear that makes her so sweet because it's made her able to love this snowball of a world, which in turn makes her love everyone and everything, which in turns makes her more innocent.
***
"Is Yukari alright?"

"Yes, yes, she's fine, just ate some bad meat was all."
***
Yukari's eaten bad meat, again, and has become ill. Sometimes, I have a heard time wrapping my head around why she would even eat bad meat but, then again, she could be eating and suffering the ill effects to make sure we don't eat it and suffer ill effects. Surely, the foxes could have eaten it, being scavengers, but, from what I've seen, they would probably turn their noses at it, not that I could blame them, as I wouldn't want to eat smelly rotten meat either. On that note, it did attract rats and mice, which they did eat and Yuyuko made ratburgers out of. On rather bittersweet note, Reimu took notice to Ran's scarred up wrists and promptly ignored them afterwards, seeing only Ducksie. She didn't see the once suicidal wreck that we had all seen at some point, some time ago. To think a gentle kitsune like herself was once suicidal is rather hard but it was there and we were torn apart by it. Of course, someday, Ran will have to tell her about what happened and I feel sorry for her but Reimu will understand. Reimu showing absolute affection was her way of saying, "I forgive you, Ran." Of course, I feel sorry for them both as, Reimu can and will form permanent memories but at least the two reformed their bond

On a much happier note, we got an unexpected surprise. Some more of our other comrades were alive and they were Miko, Tenshi, Kosuzu and Kisume. They survived the strike and had been wandering around before deciding to come here. We let them in and Kosuzu asked promptly to see Reimu and was surprised that the little white-haired girl sitting at her feet was Reimu. Nevertheles, she accepted her anyway, just happy to see her again. Miko promptly asked me where they were to sleep. I informed them of the bunks, right by Kaguya and Mokou dears', is where Tenshi and she will sleep, and little Kisume and Kosuzu will sleep in the room with the children.

Naturally, Miko and Tenshi started to argue over which bunk should either of them sleep on. Miko wanted top bunk, on the grounds that Tenshi tends to piddle in the bed and she'll end up soaked. "Either that or put her ass outside." Miko said. It was finally agreed that Tenshie would sleep on the bottom bunk and Miko would sleep on top.
***
"Ratburgers?!"

"Yes, ratburgers, Tenshie."

"Don't want ratburgers."

"We haven't a choice, be lucky to have food at all."
***
Well, first morning in the new house and I wake up to pleasant smell Tenshi's piss. I suppose it could be worse, like it was before, and it is good seeing everyone again. They've seemed to have changed a bit and that shouldn't be hard to tell, as Kaguya seems to have gone up three, four, or five dress sizes. Mmm, make that six, seven, or eight. Yukari's doing good, even though she went insane and is still going ballistic at a moments notice and slugged Tenshie in the eye. Chen is okay, as is Reimu, and those two other kids. I thought about our surroundings and where we living and concluded it was nice but I'm putting Tenshi's ass outside. No one wants to wake up to the smell of piss. I don't.

In readjusting, I found we were to consume ratburgers, though they weren't really burgers, rather they were roasted rats that you use the tail for the stick. Frankly, it is far from luxurious but I don't mind, though I do wish I had mustard but Tenshie turned her nose up at it, saying, "Don't want ratburgers." If I were asked, I would say ratburgers are an improvement, better than eating rocks and bones and a dead bird that was burned to a crisp by a nuke. Though, I do wish I had mustard to go with my ratburger. Like Yuuka said, we're lucky to even have food.
***
"CHEN!"
***
A horrible scream rang through, leaving behind a deathly silence, causing even the wind to stop blowing. In there snow, there were bloodstains and they lead to Ran cradling a limp and bloodied Chen. Something awful had happened and we didn't know who or, for that matter, what attacked her but who or what attacked her is something we may never find out. One of us should have gone outside with her or did something to prevent this from happening, something. We patched Chen up and waited a couple of days for her to arise from her coma. When she did arise, something was wrong and it was that she couldn't use one of each of her arms and legs, meaning the injuries she's sustained badly damaged her nerves, and that she couldn't hold her waste. We were fearful and Ran didn't want to let Chen out of her sight, even for a millisecond.

Our fears became further realized when Suika pointed a hole in the wall that is in need of repairs. Huzi remembered to fix it, thusly. To twist the knife even further, Chen doesn't want to look outside and is horrified at anything that seems to remind her of something that happened that day but she cannot remember what happened. However, who or what it is that attacked her was trying to do more than just harm. They were going for the kill and was lying in wait to attack her, knowing she would be vulnerable. I tried my damnedest hardest to piece together what sort of motive possesed them to attack and attempt to kill Chen, who hasn't done anything to win any enemies. I could understand if that were Seija, in which case, she would have deserved it but we beat their asses to it, but Chen? This cannot stand and it won't. I wanted no more than to seek out who could do such a thing.

And I will!
***
"Now, now, Chen dear, you mustn't upset yourself."
***
Chen seems to very upset but who on earth could have blamed her? Her left arm and leg are paralyzed from nerve damage and she can't even toilet properly, requiring a diaper like baby and needing it to be changed every once and awhile. It was heartbreaking to see her this sad and droopy, like a shriveled wilted sunflower, rather than the vibrant kitty she's always been. Reimu, Merry, and Wren have cheering her up but it never could work. She would lie in bed, waiting for her food or to be changed, which was often. She didn't seem to really cry about anything and neither did she cry at all. She remained silent until she did cry, one day.

She was hysterical and very loud, sobbing so much, we could have thought that her tears would flood the house. Naturally, my thought was to tell her not to upset herself and tell her times were to get better, to which she responded, "HOW?! I can't use my left arm and leg and I can't do anything, besides peeing and pooping diaper like baby. I don't know anyone who would want to live like this! How can life get better?! How can it?!" I wasn't sure how I could answer her questions, then again there are more questions that are almost without answer, like who attacked her.

After thinking, I took her hand, startling her, and said, "Sweetheart, dearest, it is possible to live a happy life, even in this state, after all, you are alive and have people who love regardless if you were blind or if you can't use certain limbs, I know Ran especially does and how on earth could she not? She's taken care of you since you were only a little baby and is more than willing to do so for as long she lives. Look at Reimu, she can't walk but she doesn't seem to be fazed by it and acts almost as if nothing's happened. Of course, whether or not she seems to be well aware that she cannot walk is the question but the point is that she's not at all fazed by her damaged legs." She wiped her tears away and we cuddled. She fell asleep after, leaving me to tuck her in. She seemed to be smiling, for once, in a while since the she was injured so badly.

On a worrying note, Miko tells me that Kaguya and Mokou dear are gone to find who did this to Chen. Kaguya went by herself and Mokou went with her to look after her. What in blooming hell would provoke them to go off by themselves? Of course, they're immortal, they haven't much to lose and there is no use in attempting to kill them. However, it is a tad futile to search for who or whatever attacked Chen, as they may never find them and there is pretty good chance, also we have no clue as to who or what could have attacked Chen. If they've gone after those horrid kitstunes, then I can only worry for the rest of us, as they are opening the floodgates to war and that could lead something there aren't any words to put to.
***
"Okay, yeah, we know what one of 'em tried to do with Rannie but how can we be so sures it was them?"

"Who else would attack one of us without any due cause? It had to have been them, Huzi!"

"Okay, if you say so."
***
We walk through the blisterin' cold for vengeance. I don't want to but someone has to look after Kagu, she could get herself hurt. We keep goin' but somethin' wasn't feeling right. Somethin' tolds me we doing something bad and this could lead to somethin' there isn't words for. I want to get due justice for Chen but this is bit too much for that and Yukari and Ran will have our asses over it. However, Kagu and I are sisters and sisters stick together, even if one is wrong, and she is wraa-uang or so I think but, either way, I will follow her, anyway. I suppose maybe nothin' will come out of it but, then again, we could be doing somethin' awful. Of course, I can't tell her any different, so I may as well go along with it.

When we made it, I wished I could have talked her out of it.
***
"I sure hope they don't pull no stupid moves."