Crime Lords

Chapter 1

I sigh slowly, closing my eyes as I take a few sips of my light brown liquid in the mug. The only thing heard was my heel lightly tapping on the wood floor. Not even the one person manning the counter was really making any sound. Of course I was too far away from him to really hear anything. Good.
The sound of the bell jingling on the door filled the almost empty small coffeehouse as another person walked in. Another sigh escape my lips as stomps came all the way across stopping across from where I sat. Only when the screeching of the chair along the wood did I look up to see a tall, grey streaked headed man with thick sunglasses sitting in front of me. My eyes glanced at the folder in his arm.
"I'm so glad you came. The coffee here is great, but only if you add lots of sugar and creamer. That's the only way to drink it after all" I smile, noting his shifting eyes and clenching hands. "Do you want something? There muffins aren't half bad either".
"What do you want with me?" he finally barely whispers.
I frown slightly as I slowly put the cup down. I gave a deep sigh "Fine cutting straight to business. Such a mood killer". I wrinkle my eyebrow as he doesn't say anything. Twirling a strand of amber between my index and middle finger. "Did you bring the papers?"
He slide the manila folder across the table. Whatever papers were stacked in there made the folder bulge, so it was slightly open. Tracing it lightly before picking it up I weigh it in my hand. It was heavy but still... people lie "It seems rather light". I look up only for a second to see his eyes shift. I continue on "You realize what could happen if you're lying to me, right?" I took the silence as a signal that I could keep going. "If you are lying to me then I could accidentally send certain, inappropriate may I might add, pictures to your niece. Maybe the ones that I used to blackmail you so you can come to this coffee shop" I smile looking at him.
The grin didn't disappear as his eyes widened mouth gaping wide open as if to say something. The priceless expression he gave was soon replaced with him clenching his teeth, veins sticking out of his neck. His hand banged on the table both getting the attention of the guy at the front counter and spilling some of my coffee on the table. The liquid pooling back together making a ring around the bottom of my cup. Waving at the counter boy I flash my friendliest smile. He calms down, but still looks our way "Who do you think you are? I could easily call the police".
I sigh. I could explain to him that I've been watching him the past couple of weeks. Or even tell him that I easily sneaked into his house with the alarm system on because I knew the code, all because I wanted to get dirt on him for the exact reason to blackmail him. Because I knew he wouldn't deny my request if he knew that the niece that he's been practically raised from birth knew of the corrupt things he's been doing.
"Call the police and I'll show your niece, Megan? Yeah, Megan. Those pictures faster than you can call 9-1-1, with just a push of the button". Standing up, I take money out my purse and put it o the table, not bothering to count it. It was more than enough to cover the coffee. Picking up the manila folder and holding it to my chest, I brush off my black skirt. "It's none of your business to know who I am. Just know if you're lying to me or trying to cheat me... you're dead". I walk out the shop without even a passing glance. Covering my eyes as I walk into the busy street, I start getting distance from the coffee shop.
Taking a phone out of my purse, I start to dial an all too familiar number. It rings when I put it to my ear. Once, twice, then it finally picked up. "I have them" I say not bothering with a greeting.
"All of them?" a man's voice came through.
"I think he might have lied, but most of them. I warned him" I sigh as my eyes drift passed an ice cream store. I stop in front of it. It wouldn't be too bad to just go in here and get one.
"I need you to come back right now. No stops" the voice said, as if he were reading my mind.
I hold back a frustrated groan "Yes, yes Mr. Boss" I say teasingly. It was greeted by the other end cutting off. I frown as I put the phone in its rightful place "So serious, sometimes" I say under my breath.