Crime Lords

Chapter 4

"Your late" he said as I walked into the clearing of the warehouse.

"I had to change" I sigh "Again". I gestured, with gloved hands, at the black tank top and jacket with tights to match. "Unless you want me to run around in a short dress and heels" I raise an eyebrow.

His eyes scanned over me with a smirk "As entertaining as that would be, no".

"You needed me" I asked rolling my eyes, watching Jason put together a gun. He did it smoothly with each movement. From the small distance between us I couldn't help but let my eyes linger to his chest and arm muscles under his black shirt.

"Yeah" he said looking at me while loading the ammo. "We need to get the rest of those papers and check in on some of the men with the shipment. And then there's John" he sighed.

"I can deal with John" I say walking up to him securing a belt around my waist. "What's so important about the missing papers" I ask tilting my head. Turning my back towards him. I went to the knife sharpener under it was a shelf. Rolling it out I ran my fingers around some of the blades of the knives.

"It's important because of the weather" I felt a weight on the belt. I only glanced up for a second to see Jason walking back to his seat. I already knew that he was good at sneaking around, but still it was really unnerving.

Selecting a blade, I smiled, the handle fit nicely in my hand. The blade caught the light of the few light bulbs that did work. One side slightly curved, the other ridged. "And that's important because..." I trail off.

"Easier escape, harder to witness if its raining" footsteps then the noise of Jason preparing another gun.

"So that there aren't any complications in burning the port" I nodded giving the knife a couple of tosses catching it in my hand everytime. Satisfied I stuff it in another holder in my belt.

"Right" he says slowly.

I looked around slowly feeling the knife and gun in their holders. What was I forgetting? It always sucked preparing for these things, you had to be careful and resourceful. Forgetting something could kill you, that is unless your Jason who does pretty good em prompt tu.

"Extra ammo, other gun" Jason sighed. I finally look at him, he was sitting on the couch patting his own brown belt and pointing with gloves on his hands at the crate on the ground next to the table.

"Oh yeah" I say running my hand through my hair. I squat down opening the crate, brushing away the hay like cushioning till I got to what I wanted: a five rounds of ammunition and the other gun. "You went out to get this stuff without me?" I look at him stuffing all except one in my jacket pockets. I put the one round in slapping the bottom, reassured with a clank that it was in there.

"You were busy with friends" he said as I held up the gun with one hand as if ready to fire aiming it at him "of course I had your taste in mind" he finished. I lowered the gun, warm now because of my hand. There was always something about having a gun in your hand, pulling the trigger that always excited me. Having the control of it.

"I see" I say putting the sleek grey gun in the only holder left in the belt. "I'm finished" I say already making my way towards the exit.

The too familiar footsteps were behind me "Someone's eager" my partner mumbled a hint of amusement in his voice.

"I guess I am" I smile as we go outside. By now its dark and the moon and stars are covered by giant clouds that only seem to break apart when an invisible wind blew past. We rounded around the back of the warehouse, where two shadows sat. One my white car, the other the motorcycle we were going to ride. A normal black motorcycle that we stole and took the plates off of. It was too risky to take my car. The engine roared to life as Jason put the key in the ignition, disturbing the silence, my first reaction was for my muscles to tighten. I had to take deep breaths to relax. Jason smiled, more than likely noticing, as he patted the space on the seat behind them. There was a time that would have absolutely objected to riding it, I would have rather jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge than get on. Sighing I slid in behind him wrapping my arms around the belt covering most of what could be seen of the guns, and shifting slightly so my own were hidden between his and my bodies.

"Hold on" was all he said before we took off, as usual not giving me time to answer.

xxx

We parked a good distance from our destination, one of the many ports in the city. This particular one, however, was well known to having many shipments of weapons. Even as we got closer in the shadows there was some activity going on. Guards were posted out for that reason, preventing any type of uninvited guests from getting in. Police these damned days sucked. The guards were there was help the general population feel at ease, but they were put there by some big wig to keep their money and guns coming in. Jason motioned for us to get closer I swiftly followed him pulling out my gun as I did, the weight reassuring in my hand. Our backs pressed up against the walls as we got even closer to the gate (of course). You could practically hear the people's on duty conversation, some nonsense that I couldn't even pay attention to, the blood was rushing too fast in my ears from the excitement. Jason held up four fingers and shook his head. Four men, don't shoot. Yet. The moments passed, the conversation the men were carrying, quite loudly, getting farther and farther away from us. Soon all you could hear was our synchronized breathing. Jason motioned to go forward. Climbing over the gate it made small groaning sound like it wasn't used to being jumped. Bracing my feet and hands I held my breath trying not to get my clothes caught on any of the barbed wire, my feet thumped against the concrete after Jason's. We started running the opposite way of the guards.

I felt the adrenaline rush through my veins, officially in enemy territory. I tried straining my ears to try to find any other sounds besides our footsteps, breathing, and my heart thumping. Nothing. No extra pair of running feet, no guns getting loaded ready to fire. Running beside Jason, a lot easier because of the adrenaline, I pointed at a small building, the windows glowing a faint green. I mouthed: Information Room. It was one of the many places that John went to while I watched him. Nodding, we rushed towards the door. Jason taking one hand slowly grabs on to the handle, with the other he grabs his gun from its sheath. He looks at me nodding once, stretching my arm up I hold the gun steady at the door. Slowly Jason open's the door, it swings open with a whoosh.

"Who the hell are-" I charge, knocking down something that sparked as I did, in before the man could finish his sentence. Putting my weight into a tackle I pushed him up against the wall. Bringing my free hand up I pressed it against his throat, the gun went to his temple.

"Your going to help us with a little something" I smile. The man's eyes went behind me. Something hard pressed up against the center of my back. Shit. Slightly turning my head, out the corner of my eye I saw a long barrel of a gun, but person holding it was in my blind spot. Shit.

"Your going to get off of him slowly, drop the gun, and put your hands up" the voice was male and raspy like he smoked often. Clenching my teeth, I raised my hands, dropping the gun. It clanked on the cement ground, the sound pissed me off. What the hell was taking Jason so long! The guy that I had pinned had a triumphant grin twisted on his piggy face, pissing me off even more.

"Poor little birdy in here all alone" Piggy face chants, my body trembles as my blood begins to reach its boiling point. "Aww you scared" the man behind me chuckles. There was a hard crack like when your putting too much weight on wood, for a second I thought that he was firing the gun, but the sound was accompanied by a low groan and wet thump.

"Her scared? Maybe not. But you should be" I realized I was holding my breath up until I heard Jason's voice.

Staring at Piggy face his eyes widened as I watched one of his hands fumble around him as if feeling for something. My cue. Slamming my knee up against his gut, I grabbed his hair I pound his head up against the wall a satisfying snap as my reward. For a second he doesn't move, his body just sags. The only thing moving was his chest. Well at least he's not dead. "That was too much for him maybe?"

"You think?"Jason sighed.

"You don't have any damned room to talk" I glare at him. Looking down at his feet, a thin man lay blood pooling around his head a shot gun a couple of inches away from his body, "What took you so damned long".

"I was letting you handle it until you needed me" he shrugged "So cute when your mad by the way" even through the poor lighting there was an amused smile on his face.

I turned my attention back to my captive before I got to explore any more levels of anger. Slapping my hand across his cheek a couple of times the corner of my mouth growing heavy, "Hey get up!" I keep on slapping him even after the skin started turning red. Eventually after a couple more rounds of one sided slap boxing his eyes opened blinking a million times a second. Huffing out my breath I put my fingers a couple of centimeters from his face I started snapping until I got his attention. Drool started to string from his mouth. I slip the knife from my belt. Tracing it lightly down his face and stopping it at his neck I pressed it hard against the exposed skin till thin lines of crimson running down the blade.

"Poor little birdy here all alone" I grin.

"Hurry up and kill me" his voice was barely even audible.

Leaning in I whisper "Not quite yet, okay? Right now I need you to get me the records for this month's up and coming shipments".

"That- That's all?"

"Mmhmm that's it," I try to give my most charming smile "And we'll leave".

"A- Alright".

I lifted my weight slowly off of him, putting my knife down by my side. Taking a step back I raised one eyebrow tilting my head.

The male quickly and clumsily shuffled to a file cabinet. I put my hand on my hip as the drawer squeaked loudly open. I sighed waiting, shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

"Hurry it up" Jason says in an almost intimidating growl. That's right we still needed to get out of here before the guards find the mess we made. Piggy face turned towards us and with shaky hands gives me an envelope, it was bulged out slightly like they just stuffed all the paper they could in there without it ripping.

"And this is all of them?" I ask snatching it from him and shaking it

"Yes".

"Thanks!" I smile bringing my knife up and in one swift movement, slice, cutting his throat. His eyes widened for a second before hitting the floor. The blood seemed endless as it spread from his neck. Squatting down, and trying my best not to step on any blood,I swipe my blade clean on his shirt. Retrieving my gun I put both back on my belt and stand up.

"Lets go" Jason sighs as he carefully steps over puddles of blood, I followed mirroring his steps.

We went back over the fence, back to the warehouse with surprisingly little difficulty.

xxx

"Hey you aren't still mad are you?"

"Mad is an understatement," I say through clenched teeth my hands tightening on the steering wheel. I take a deep breath through my nose taking in the new car smell of my Honda. We had left our weapons in their hiding places at the warehouse and started heading home. "I should have just left you at the warehouse!"

"It was a good distraction, not like you couldn't handle them anyway even if I wasn't there" Jason let out a yawn.

I don't know if I should be happy or even more pissed about the comment. Instead of saying anything else I just focus on the road, how every rear head light looked like glowing ants. Putting one hand over the other I turn into rows of apartments, each one looking more grey than white in the darkness. Parking I turn off the engine turning off the lights. The complex was even creepier without the extra light. It was like a giant inky hand could come from behind and drag you into the abyss. A chill runs down my spine as I continued to stare.

"Hey" Jason clamps his hand down on my wrist. I turn my head to glare at him pressing my lips together. "You're going to ignore me? Not talk to me?" His face got closer to mine, emerald eye staring as if trying to pierce my soul. His gaze was too much for me, so I look away.

"I'm still pissed at you" I mumble leaning away. "We're partners". I meet his eyes "It's not the whole distraction and me being able to handle myself part that pisses me off its the whole principle. You cover me, I cover you" I jab my finger into his muscular chest.

Something flashed across his face, something that I couldn't read. "I always have your back", Jason's hand wrapped around my hair. "Always" he repeats.

I couldn't help it, the mixture of me trying to stay angry and him being completely serious, a laugh came bubbling up. I held his gaze for a second before continuing to crack up. "Of course you do" I say.

A ghost of a smile appeared on Jason's face as he pressed his forehead against mine "Come on before one of the nosy neighbors call the police".

"We're the very definition of suspicious people" I sigh opening the door and getting out the car.