Crime Lords

Chapter 5

"Wake up!" I felt something soft plop on my head. Groaning, I swipe at what ever it was, pulling the covers over my head. There was another plop "Wake up!" the voice repeated. This time I just left whatever it was there. Maybe if I stayed here and be really still I won't have to get up.

Fat chance.

All the covers were suddenly yanked off, leaving me with a shiver. I drew my bare legs up to my chest pulling my shirt over them "Leave me alone". Shutting my eyes tight, so that I could stop the sunlight from coming through my eye lids.

"Get up, always like this the night after we do late night crap" a hand wrapped around my wrist pulling me up. I tried laying back down only to have an arm wrap around my waist lifting me up. Opening my eyes everything was upside down.

"Let me go!" I slapped Jason's back. "It's cold" I try to shift my weight to kick him, but he knows me too well. He takes his free arm pins my legs to his chest. Putting my hands on his back to brace myself. His muscles! I felt the blood rush to my cheeks.

"You wouldn't be cold if you'd wear more than just a shirt and your underwear" Jason sighed bringing his hands on the inside of my thigh sending goosebumps up my legs.

"Your one to talk Pervert" I go limp as he started walking, there was no use in struggling. He only had on shorts!

"I'm not," Jason said throwing me on the couch. "If I wanted I would have done something to you a long time ago".

I frowned at him crossing my arms and folding my legs beneath me "What exactly is that supposed to mean".

"Nothing, nothing" he waves his hand in front of his face. I wrinkled my nose at him until he walked into the kitchen. Soon there was a hiss and the smell of bacon.

Living in an apartment complex was more or less convenient for the two of us. Less suspicious. It was one of those expensive apartments that you didn't have to worry about rat or roach infestation. The kind of apartment a lot of people would give an arm and a leg for. It technically cost that much for us at least, but not our arms and legs, more like a small dent in the inheritance money that my parents left me.

I turn on the television and start flipping through the channels, hardly letting any one that might have been acting or narrating get one full syllable in. I stopped when I saw something familiar on the news channel. The camera switched from a woman with the wind blowing in her face to a yellow taped blocked off location. The small building, the barbed wire gate. "It looks completely different when in sunlight" I yawn slightly, rubbing my eyes as the camera switched back to the woman.

"What does" Jason asked leaning beside me resting his elbows on the back cushions of the couch. My eyes went to the plate in his hands. I try to get a piece of toast only for him to pull the plate away out of reach.

"The warehouse... from last night" I frown still focusing on the plate.

"Turn it up".

"No" I sigh tossing the remote in my hand a couple of times. On one toss he catches it in midair. While I still had a chance I snatch the slice of toast off of the plate, putting a side in my mouth.

He only shook his head while pressing the volume button on the remote. The woman started to describe what the police possibly thought had went on the night before. A possible robbery resulting in a double murder. Right and wrong at the same time.

"I personally think that it was to my own defense" I mumbled chewing.

Jason smirks, but his eyes are still glued to the television, even when sitting beside me.

"The police have not given any information on who the suspect is, and will continue to give us information" the woman finishes at that Jason turns down the volume.

I wait for him to say something, his eyes were distant, and I could tell he was thinking about what he'd just heard. "We're pissing off who ever had that arrangement set up" I sigh when he doesn't say anything.

"A couple of more moves and he'll have enough" Jason mumbles, looking at me now. "What are you planning to do with John?"

"I'm going to shoot him in the next couple of days" I shrug. He nodded as if he needed no more of an explanation.

"What do we do now?" I sigh.

"We dominate the board" Jason says putting a piece of bacon in his mouth.

I frown slightly my eyebrows furrowing "Board dominating?" My first thought went to chess.There was a knock at the door. I mouthed 'We aren't here' . Jason got up winking at me, setting the plate down on the table before answering. "Yes..." he stood in the opening to where I couldn't see who it was. It really irritated me because he knew what he was doing: opening the door with no shirt on. Hell what if it was the police, he'd just get arrested with no shirt on!

At first there was silence and then a female's voice stammered out. I'd be shocked too if someone answered the door like that. Listening the voice said "I- I was just wondering if you were alright".

Shooting off my feet, I'd rather not have him say something embarrassing to explain last night. I nudge Jason so that could be in between him and the door frame. "What is it" I say crossing my arms completely ignoring the expression on Jason's face. Even with the reddish tint on her cheeks and ears I could tell it was the girl from next door, it was a regular thing for her to conveniently come check in on us the morning after of late night business. It was quite strange, especially concerning our work. What was her name Maria, Martha?

The red spread through her entire face and neck, making her look like a tomato, when she looked me up and down. She completely avoided my gaze something interesting apparently caught her eyes on the carpet "I was umm interrupting something, I'm sorry". I look down both parts of the hallway, empty. Everyone gone off to work, probably. Why wasn't she?

"Yes" Jason trails a finger up my arm "You were".

"You weren't" I say swatting his hand away, the tingle still lingering there.

"Well I was just wondering if you guys were alright. You came in late last night" the girl mumbles.

I sigh "It was nothing that had to do with you so...".

"Sorry" the girl turned walking, pretty quickly, away from the door. Did her face get redder?

Jason pulled me by the waist back into the apartment shutting the door behind him. "Pretty cold" he whistles leaning against the door.

"Whatever" I frown walking back into my bedroom . I start going through drawers picking out a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt.

"She was trying to make sure that we were alright" I back into the living room. Jason raised an eyebrow "Where you going?"

"Supplies so that the queen can deal with a pawn" I smile. "Anything I need to do or get?"

"No," Was all he said walking towards the couch still eyeing me.

I sigh rubbing my hands through my hair.

"I'll need supplies too, for tonight... so wait for me be there at eight. Wear something nice" He seemed... nervous. An expression I wasn't used to seeing on his face.

Raising an eyebrow I nodded slowly "Alright". I open the door "I'll call you" I say over my shoulder.