Status: Finished.

Xious

The Trial

The young thief was shackled with the ghastly mask of a demon's face. Blood red, penetrating eyes narrowed at the impish faces of the guards holding the ghoulish chains around his wrists and ankles, like an anchor trapped on a coral reef. He stood there, listening to his sentencing given by a soprano, low starture man reading off a scroll, curling and uncurling his fingers. A smirk played behind the unearthly appearance of an amused daemon.

"The bandit king..." Bloodied pearls looked up to the magistrate, a void of remorse. "Charged with endangerment and attemped murder of Lady Valeriana, attempted theft of the Vintage Smile from her Majesty Such-and-Such's collection. The ruling, death."

The deviant shook his head barely as the penetrating gaze of the crowd with authentic masks looked on. Elaborate, and colorfully laced dresses contradicted the event that lied in front of their subjective eyes. The Bandit King bowed his head as he was escorted back to his dreary holding cell, down in the very pits of hell. They slipped off his death mask of a malefactor and the chains, shoving him down the stairs into his cell. He was knocked ot hte floor as the door creaked closed and the slave of the bar behind him shuddered the cell, making dust fall on him.

He gripped the edges of the block-made floor and reached up to a wooden bench under a barred window. He pulled himself up, sliding onto the wooden bench. He sighed softly as he stared up at the plain stone ceiling. His mouth was dry as his eyes followed the cracks and creepy crawlies scaling the ceiling and the upper walls. His dark red eyes fell to what was right in the corner of his almost plain cell. A gold swirled and silver mask that stuck out of the dank darkness was a momento of what happened that night.

All those memories came flooding back. Her swaying movement and silvery moonlit pools inside the edging gold holes. He licked the edge of his lips and stared at the mask, transfixed and mesmerized, just like that night.

"What happens if I remove your mask?
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this for creative writing class and I had two teachers tell me that it was "too creative" and "not easy to understand" or "this isn't the image you wanted". And I let that get to me to the point that I stopped writing all together. I had just gotten back to writing only a year after that incident because I let it get to me that I wasn't that good of a writer when I was following guidelines and everything. But here is part one of the result. I'll type up the rest in a bit.