Status: Active

The Fear of Falling Apart

You Aren't on Her List

Image

Ring Ring Ring

"Why?"Brendon grumbled into his pillow as his cell phone woke him from his sleep.

Ring Ring Ring

"Okay." He groaned reaching for the phone. After a few seconds of reaching in the dark his fingers came in contact of the cold metal and glass of his phone.

Ring Ring Ring

He pressed the answer and placed the phone next to his ear. "What?"

"Brendon Urie it is almost three in the afternoon. What are you doing still in bed?"

"Claire?" Brendon asked sleepily. "I just got back from tour at eight this morning."

"Well I need you to get up and pick up Emily for me." she sighed.

"What?" He sighed sitting and rubbing his eyes. "Why me? I've been gone for six months and I would like to just sit at home and relax today. Besides she is your kid, why don't you go pick her up?"

"Brendon." Claire scolded. "You have been gone for six months and your niece has been asking for almost everyday. I have to stay late at work. Please, please, go pick up Emily for me."

"Alright, Claire." He sighed "What time does she need to be picked up?"

"Five minutes ago."

"Claire!" Brendon growled.

"I'm sorry, I thought I could get out of work on time. Just get dressed real quick and go get her."

Brendon could hear the pout in his little sister's voice. "I just got off a six month tour and haven't had a chance to shower and scrub all the grime off me Claire. I smell like an old shoe and hot sweaty van."

"Emily won't care. She will be too excited to see you."

"Her daycare teacher will probably think some hobo is trying to take your daughter home."

"No they won't, please Brendon. You are my only option."

"Fine." He sighed into the phone. "But you owe me."

"You still have a copy of my key?"

"Yeah, yeah."

"Thank you so much you are my favorite brother ever."

"I'm your only brother." He smirked and hung up the phone , before leaning over the edge of the bed to find his shoes.

-----------

Brendon walked into the building with sunglasses on and a coffee in hand. He let out a soft sigh before punching in the password to unlock the door. He smiled weakly and the women who treated him and walked back towards the room that Emily's class was always in, a small hope that they hadn't changed it.

He entered the second pass code for the room that signaled in the system that Emily's parent was there and pulled open the door.

"Hey Mrs. Rackson." He sighed.

The woman watching the children turned to look at him and he took his sunglasses off.

"You are not Mrs. Rackson." He noted looking her over. "I've never seen you before, how long have you worked here."

The woman's eyebrows knitted together as she looked him over. "A little under six months."

"That would explain it." Brendon smiled. "I'm here to pick up Emily Urie."

"And you are?"

"BDen!" Came a girl's shriek.

Brendon and the woman turned to see a black haired four year old running over. She ran straight up to Brendon and was in his arms in a second.

"BDen?" The woman asked.

"It's Brendon." He smiled "She couldn't say it right when she was little."

"Well there isn't a Brendon on her pick up list."

"You smell like stinky shoe, BDen." The little girl wrinkled her nose at him.

Brendon rolled his eyes and frowned at the women. "I use to pick Emily up all the time before you worked here. I just back into town today and my sister asked me to get her."

"I need a call from Claire before I can let you take Emily."

"I'm her uncle." Brendon growled, "I pick her up all the time."

"Jessica did Mr.Urie, oh he is here."

"Mrs. Anderson," Brendon smiled "Will you please tell her I'm Emily's uncle?"

Mrs. Anderson smiled over at the woman. "I forgot to tell you that Claire called a few hours ago and said she was gonna be late. Brendon always picks Emily up for her when she can't make it."

"Thank you." Jessica answered, and pursed her lips as she looked Brendon over.

"I appreciate you being so careful about who picks Emily up." he smiled.

"It's my job." Jessica smiled.

"Good-bye Miss Jessica." Emily grinned.

"Bye sweet heart." Jessica smiled. "I'll make sure that you get added to the pick up list." she added as Brendon placed his sunglasses back on his face.

"Thank you, Jessica was it?"

She smiled at him. "Yeah, it was nice meeting you Mr. Urie."

"You too."