Status: Active

The Fear of Falling Apart

Boys In Bands

Image

"Nicole"

Nicole tried to open her eyes but couldn't. She had been up too late the night before. Right after leaving Jessica and Amelia's house she had been called into the hospital to pick up someone's graveyard shift.

"Damn it Nicole! Wake up!"

Nicole sat straight up, eyes wide. "Y-Yes?!" she looked around widely and saw her boss staring at her and instantly started pouring out an apology rapid fire. "I am so sorry I-"

Angela held up a hand "Stop Nicole, I know. You picked up an extra shift at the hospital again. That is the usual reason you are asleep at your desk."

"At least you pay me by article and not by time?" Nicole smiled weakly.

Angela sighed "You are going to work yourself to death, Nicole."

Nicole let out a soft sigh "So I've been told."

"What happened to your face?" Angela frown, noticing the rainbow that Nicole had tried and failed to scrub off her face.

"I was baby sitting Amelia and she attacked me while I was sleeping."

"Do you always sleep when watching children?" Angela asked, eyebrow raised.

"She was taking a nap." Nicole sighed.

Angela grinned "Apparently not."

"When are those guys I have to interview going to be here?" Nicole asked with a sigh, trying to brush her blonde hair with fingers. It was always ruffed when she fell asleep at the desk.

"They are already here, waiting in the conference room."

"Thanks, Angela." Nicole smiled, getting up from her desk and moving to walk to the conference room, but Angela caught her arm. "What?"

"Let me hire you on full-time." Angela smiled "I know we don't pay as much as a hospital does but you'll get an hourly wage along with the bonus I give you for your each article; it should even out."

"I like working at the hospital." Nicole sighed "I like helping people."

"It's going to catch up with sooner or later sweetie."

"I have also been told that before." Nicole smiled picking her notepad off the desk. "I'm Fine Angela, I promise. Who am I interviewing again?"

Angela rolled her eyes but smiled "The front man of Panic! At The Disco Brendon Urie, Frontman for Cobra Starship Gabe Saporta, and solo artist William Beckett. They are all going on a tour together in a few months. You are doing an article on the up coming tour and what new with the boys and their bands."

"Alright." Nicole answered, letting out a soft yawn. "I'm on it."

"Don't fall asleep in there," Angela called. "It's rude and you are on the clock during interviews."

Nicole smiled before opening the door to the conference room and stepping inside, the door swinging shut behind her.

"Good morning." Nicole smiled taking a seat across the table from the three boys. "Sorry if I kept you waiting. I was just-"

"Sleeping on your desk?" one of them smirked.

Nicole looked over at him and had to force herself to smile. His hair was on the longer side of shaggy and eyes as brown as a Doe's. Like most of the guys in bands that she had interviewed he had a tall thin frame. "I had a late night." she answered.

"Got drunk and had a friend draw on your face?" The same guy asked.

"Actually Mr?"

"Beckett." The man smiled.

"I was baby sitting my friend's sick four year old. We both fell asleep on the couch and she drew on my face before she woke me up." Nicole explained.

"The four year old or your friend?" One of the other boys smiled.

"The four year old and you are?"

"Brendon Urie." He smiled "I get it my niece has done similar things to me."

"Then I was up all night working an extra shift at the hospital. So I am sorry," she added sweetly "if I am little tired gentlemen."

"Babysit, Write for a magazine and your a doctor?" Beckett smiled, looking her over. "Is there anything you don't do?"

"Boys in bands." Nicole glared, causing William's smirk to fall and Brendon and the last man to laugh. "and I'm a nurse not a doctor."

"I'm Gabe." The last man smiled, reaching over to shake her hand. "Sorry about William. He can't help but run his mouth around pretty girls,"

"From Cobra Starship." She smiled, ignoring the pretty girl comment. "Why don't we start with you and what is new with your band."

"Actually," Brendon cut in with a sheepish smile "I have to pick up my niece in an hour and a half. Do you mind if we start with me?"

Nicole smiled "I don't see why not."

The interview went along steadily for the next hour, slightly slowed by the three of the boys joking with each other frequently. Brendon excused himself again mentioning he had to pick up his niece before leaving the room and leaving Nicole with William and Gabe.

"Well I think that's everything I need." Nicole smiled standing up from her seat.

"Really?" William frowned. "We only talked for about an hour and a half."

"And I have what I need for the article." Nicole answered "Is there something else you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Yes," William smiled, "Over coffee later."

"I have to work." Nicole frowned "It was nice to meet you Gabe." She added leaving the room, hearing Gabe laugh at William.

"Are you heading out?" Angela asked, catching Nicole at her desk while she was packing her laptop back into her bag..

"Yeah," she smiled "I have to be back at the hospital in three hours. Thought I'd swing by my house and take a quick dirt nap before I start work. I'll probably just end up starting the article instead but at least I tried at sleep."

"Nicole." Angela growled, "Get some sleep, I mean it. That article isn't due until next week, really."

"Yes boss." Nicole saluted walking backwards out of the office until she crashed backwards right into another person, both of them tumbling to the ground.

"I am go sorry." Nicole gushed until she realized just who she had tumbled on top of.

"Absolutely no problem." William smirked "I figured we would have coffee first but this works just fine."

"Don't be creepy dude." Gabe growled, helping Nicole back to her feet. "Have a nice time saving people's lives, doll. I will make sure William does not stalk you to work."

Nicole grinned at Gabe. "Thank you."

----------------

"Mr. Urie, you're back."

Brendon smiled at Jessica as he entered the room. "Yes I am. Where is Emily?"

"Outside with the other kids. They should be back in a few minutes." Jessica held back a sigh "Listen I just wanted to apologize for yesterday. I was not trying to be rude it is just I am very careful about who picks up my kids."

"Your kids?" Brendon smiled taking off his sunglasses.

"The kids in my class." Jessica rolled her eyes. "Claire told me about Emily's father and I-"

Brendon held up a hand to cut Jessica's words off. "Like I said yesterday, I appreciate that you are so careful with who picks up Emily. Danny is not allowed anywhere near her and I would rather you try and stop me from picking her up than just let any guy walk in and take her, even if he says he is suppose to. I understand that Emily looks a lot like me and it would make sense for you to think that I might be Danny."

Jessica smiled at him. "Thank you for understanding."

"No problem." Brendon grinned back. "Can I ask you a question Jessica."

"Of course."

"Would you be willing to go get coffee with me? Maybe after you get off work today."

Jessica could feel her cheeks get hot with a blush. She was too shocked to really get an answer out. She had been expecting him to ask her something about Emily's day, not out on a date. "I- I can't" she answered embarrassed.

Brendon looked a little sad. "Why not?"

"BDen!"

Emily was at Brendon's side the instant the door to the playground had opened. The other teacher walked in behind the kids, smiling. "Haven't seen you for a while Brendon."

"Just got back from tour." Brendon answered, picking Emily up and turned his attention back to Jessica. "So how about that coffee?"

"I'm busy tonight." Jessica answered, "I have to go straight home after work."

"Alright what about-"

"Mommy."

Brendon watch as Jessica's eyes got wide and a little girl, Emily's age came running up to Jessica. She had light brown choppy hair that it looked like she had tried to cut herself and then someone else tried to fix. An outfit that she had definitely picked out herself. Jessica picked up the little girl who looked at Brendon with hazel-green eyes that matched Jessica's.

"Who is this?" The little girl smiled.

"Amelia." Jessica smiled nervously, "This is Emily's uncle Brendon. We were just talking while he waited for you kids to come inside."

Amelia grinned at the man "I'm Amelia."

Brendon grinned back at her and shook her small hand. "It is very nice to meet you Amelia, I am Brendon, but Emily calls me BDen. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you did too, do you sweetie."

Emily shook her head, black curls flying. "No I don't mind."

Brendon smiled at Jessica. "I have no problem going to Chuckie Cheese if that is better, then we can bring the girls."

"We are going to Chuckie Cheese?" Amelia asked excitedly, looking at her mom wide eyed.

"No, baby." Jessica answered and Amelia, Emily and Brendon all pouted at her. "Cool is coming over for dinner remember."

"Cool?" Brendon asked, eyebrow raised.

"My friend Nicole." Jessica answered, "She is basically Amelia's best friend too. she baby sits for me all the time."

Brendon frowned for a second looking like he was lost in thought as he remembered the girl with a rainbow drawn across her nose and cheekbones. "Does she work for a magazine here in Vegas?"

"Yes." Jessica frowned "She is also a nurse. How do you know?"

"Mommy I want to go to Chuckie Cheese." Amelia pouted. "Can't Cool come with us?"

"Not tonight, Sweetie." Jessica sighed. "We will have to give BDen a raincheck on Chuckie Cheese. I'm sorry baby."

"Okay." Amelia pouted, leaning her head on her mom's shoulder.

"That's not a no." Brendon smiled, putting his sunglasses back on. "Let's get you home. Emily. It was nice meeting you Amelia and I will see you tomorrow Jessica."

"Are you picking Emily up again?" she frowned.

"Probably." he smiled "Bye."

"Bye BDen!" Amelia yelled after him as the door closed behind Brendon and Emily.