Status: Active

The Fear of Falling Apart

You Do What You Have To

Image

"Thank you for driving me home." Nicole answered stiffly, "please do not write down my address and try to break in the middle of the night."

"Really?" William growled.

Nicole shrugged and opened the door to the car and moved to get out until William grabbed her arm. "Wait." he sighed.

Nicole looked back at him. "What?"

"Your magazine called and asked us to come back in for a follow up interview. Is it with you?" he asked, casting his gaze away from her.

"That would probably be why Angela asked me to come in tomorrow." Nicole answered slowly. "Why?"

"Look," William sighed "I am really sorry if I made you uncomfortable or came across creepy."

"And?" Nicole dead panned.

William frowned "I'm trying to apologize."

"I'm trying to make it obvious that I have no interest in you. Fine you stalked me a little, whatever, I don't really think you are the kind of guy to attack me or anything. So I really don't care." Nicole growled.

"Then why are you being so mean and cold?" William growled back.

"Because I have a plan, alright? I know exactly how long I have to keep working both of these jobs until I can afford everything I want."

"I thought you loved both your jobs." William answered. "That writing was your passion but you loved that being a nurse means you get to help people."

"I do but that is not the only reason I am killing myself trying to do both. I could just write books and try to get them published on the side while I work at the hospital, but I don't. Instead I work at a magazine which pays me. I know how long I have to save up before I can afford to pay for Jessica's school while I watch Amelia for her. I know how long I have to work both jobs and a third job before I can save up and buy my jeep. I have plans William and they don't include making time for you."

"You would sacrifice your own happiness and basically work yourself to death for things? To be able to pay for your friend to go to college?" William frowned.

"I was raised to believe that you do what you have to do to make sure your family has everything they need and some of what they want. Jessica and Amelia are my family. I will do whatever I have to give them everything they need. If it means working myself to death then so be it." Nicole answered and let out a sigh.

"And you are okay with that?" he asked.

"You do what you have to." she shrugged "I need to go to bed William. I have to be at the hospital early tomorrow before I go to the office and interview you guys. So while I love talking to you about my messed up sense of responsibility, I must say goodnight."

"What about being my friend?" he blurted.

"What?" Nicole frowned.

"You said you don't have time to date me." William answered looking away for a moment "So are you at least willing to hang out with me as a friend?"

Nicole tilted her head to the side slightly and looked at him for a moment before letting out a sigh "Give me your phone."

"Why?"

Nicole raised an eyebrow "Do you want my number or not? I will just go inside and return to being mean to you."

William quickly fumbled in his jacket pocket before producing his phone and unlocking it and handing the phone over.

Nicole typed in her name and numbered, saving it before tossing the phone back at him. "I'll see you tomorrow." she told him simply before getting out of the car and closing the door behind her.

William shook his head and sighed "Women."

---------------------------------------------

"Good morning Miss Jessica!" Emily grinned, running past her.

"Morning Emily and good morning Brendon." Jessica answered, turning to look at him.

"Claire is okay with Emily and the whole play date thing." Brendon answered, awkwardly. "So I thought maybe I could cash in that chuckie cheese rain check? I'm sure the girls would love it."

Jessica pursed her lips. She couldn't go back now, if she did Amelia would be way too upset. "Alright, I guess that will work."

"Do you want to meet there or...?"

"Yeah." Jessica nodded, looking away before her cheeks turned red. "About four thirty?"

"Alright." Brendon grinned. "I'll see you then."

---------------------------------------------

"Morning Angela." Nicole yawned as she came into the office, setting her laptop down on her desk.

"It's three in the afternoon, Nicole." Angela laughed.

"It's morning for me." Nicole grinned. "I had a really early shift at the hospital. Took a nap before I came over."

"At least I don't have to worry about you sleeping on your desk then." she grinned. "The boys are waiting in the conference room. I want you to do a follow up interview with them."

"It's only been a week." Nicole answered "What could have changed in a week."

"Basically just what William and Gabe are doing while vacationing her and such." Angela answered, "Both of their bands are very popular right now. The more article with them being interview the more magazine sales."

"Alright." Nicole shrugged.

"Hi." William smiled as she came in the room.

"Morning." Nicole answered, closing the door behind her.

"It's three in the afternoon." Gabe's eyebrows knitted together.

"So I was informed by Angela and my watch." Nicole answered, sitting down at the table.

"Did William keep you up late?" Gabe snickered.

Nicole turned a questioning look at William as if to accuse him for making up stories.

"Gabe is making shit up." William answered instantly, pointing at his friend.

"I have to pick Emily up in a half hour." Brendon sighed, "Can we just do this already?"

"Why are you such a crabby patty?" Nicole frowned. "I thought you and Jessica were going on a date." she added wiggling her eyebrows.

"I am taking Emily to play with Amelia." Brendon answered. "I wouldn't call that a date."

"It could easily become one." Nicole shrugged. "So stop being a grumpy face. What are you all planning on doing while Gabe and William are in town?"

--------------------------------------

"Mommy I wanna go play." Amelia pouted.

"We have to wait for BDen and Emily sweet heart." Jessica answered before pulling her cellphone out of her pocket.

"Who are you calling?"

"Cool." Jessica answered scrolling to her friends name before pressing the call button. "Just be quiet for a moment please."

The phone rang a few times before Nicole picked up.

"Hello?"

"What are you doing right now?" Jessica asked nervously.

"Interview two pretty boys now that yours has taken off. What are you doing?" Nicole asked.

Jessica could hear the smirk in her voice. "Waiting for Brendon and Emily to meet us at Chuckie Cheese. I need you to come here now."

"And why would I do that?"

"Because my heart is racing and I'm getting all nervous. I can't be alone with him, Nicole. I don't know what to do." Jessica answered.

"You wont be alone." Nicole scoffed. "There are two adorable four years with you. One of which is wants to encourage you to marry Brendon. So all will be well."

"Why do you hate me?" Jessica pouted into the phone.

"Because I am now left alone with Beckett because Brendon ran off to see you. I am not a happy camper."

"I'm here too you know.
Jessica heard Gabe growl out.

"I do not believe I invited you to join my phone call, Gabe." Nicole told him. "Anyway enjoy your date dear. Let me know how it turns out"

"It's not a date." Jessica hissed into the phone, but it was too late. Nicole had already hung up on her.

"What's not a date?" a voice asked.

Jessica looked up to see Brendon smiling down at her, Emily in his arms.

"My mom says you make her nervous and her heart race." Amelia pipped up.

Jessica let out a groan and his her face in her arms.

"Someone shoot me now."