Status: Active

The Fear of Falling Apart

Amelia!

"Hey Jessica."

"Claire," Jessica smiled "I haven't seen you in a while."

"Mommy," Emily screeched running to her mom.

"Emily inside voice," Claire smiled picking up her daughter before turning her attention back to Jessica. "My brother has been begging to drop Emily off and pick her up for the last week."

"Begging." A male voice laughed. "I wouldn't call it begging."

"Brendon?" Jessica asked frowning, "What are you doing here?"

Brendon took his sunglasses off to reveal a confused expression. "To pick you up for our date."

"What date?" She asked, eyebrows knitting together. Her attention turned to the door as it opened before Brandon could answer. "Nicole? What are you doing here?"

Nicole stopped mid-step her confused expression matching Jessica and Brendon's. "I'm here to pick Amelia up? She called and said you were busy this afternoon and needed me to watch her."

"No." Jessica answered frowning "I never told her that. Why would you believe something a four year old told you?"

Nicole shrugged and frowned "Because Amelia normally doesn't lie."

It was true, even at her young age Amelia had a strong sense of what was right and wrong. Lying has always been high on Amelia's wrong meter. The only times Amelia was ever caught in a lie was when she was hatching some diabolical plot. I trait Jessica believed Amelia had developed from spending too much time with Nicole.

"And you texted me asking if I wanted to go out to dinner." Brendon frowned.

"I didn't." Jessica frowned and reached in her pocket for her phone, which was missing. "Amelia!"

"Yes." The little girl asked, looking up from her blocks.

"Where is my phone?"

"In your purse Mommy." Amelia answered with wide eyed innocents.

"I had it in my pocket," Jessica mumbled "then I set it down when I was cooking lunch. I don't remember having it after that. How did it get in my purse on the shelf."

"Amelia couldn't reach that shelf on her own." Nicole frowned.

"Which is why she stood on my shoulders." Emily chimed in and a moment later must have realized her mistake because she quickly clamped her hand over her mouth.

"Emily!" Amelia half screamed and half wined, standing up and stomping her feet.

"That's what you two were doing in the kitchen." Jessica growled.

"We will talk about this when we get home." Claire growled at her daughter. "I am so sorry Jessica."

"I just wanted to help uncle Bden get married." Emily sobbed. "Amelia said she saw miss Jessica giving him lovey eyes."

"Oh dear god." Jessica sighed placing her hand on her forehead, while Nicole tried very hard not to laugh.

"Common Amelia." Nicole smiled picking the girl up. "I have the day off so I have a day full plans for us."

"You don't have to watch her on your day off." Jessica frowned.

"Yes I do." Nicole grinned, "You have a date to go on."

"That was Amelia and Emily's doing."

"Yes," Nicole grinned "and they put so much work into it. Besides I drove all the way here and so did Brendon. You might as well let me take Amelia and go on your date."

"But I" Jessica stared at her friend in frustration for a moment before letting out a deep sigh, unable to think of a reason to refuse she let out a soft. "Fine."

Brendon grinned. "You don't have to, I don't want to make you feel forced to go on a date."

Jessica sighed a smiled a little. "Don't worry about it."

------------------

"That really was quite evil of you." Nicole snickered putting her jeep in park as they arrived at the park.

"I was trying to help my mommy." Amelia answered with a pout.

"I know." Nicole answered, unstrapping the little girl from her car seat. "That's why I'm not punishing you by making you sit in your room. Instead we are gonna hang out at the park until dinner. Then maybe we can go grab a bite at Tommy's diner."

"That sounds fun." Amelia smiled "I wanna swing!"

"Sure." Nicole smiled and set Amelia down on her feet. She followed quickly as Amelia ran to the swing set. She picked Amelia up and set her in the swing. "Want me to push you?"

"Yes!"

"I like swings." a voice said softly in Nicole ear.

She let out a small screech and turned to see William standing there.

"What are you doing here?" Nicole growled, trying to catch her breath. "You scared me half to death."

William frowned. "You texted me and told me you were headed to the park to babysit Amelia."

"I didn't." Nicole growled, instantly noticing she didn't feel her Iphone in her pocket.

"You did," William argued "and you asked if I wanted to hang out with you guys."

Nicole turned from him and gave Amelia a deep glare. Amelia look back at her with big innocent doe eyes. "Give me my phone back Amelia." she growled.

The little girl picked the small piece of glass and metal out of the front pocket of her overalls and held it out to Nicole "Sorry Cool, I just really wanted to hang out with Jack Skellington."

"How did you even find him in my phone, you don't even remember his real name. You call him Jack."

"Emily told me his real name is William." Amelia answered with a huge grin that was so cute, Nicole had to try hard to hold onto her anger.

"Amelia texted me?" William asked eyebrows raised. "Clever kid."

"Yeah," Nicole growled "she did the same thing to her mom and Brendon. You would have had to get my phone out of my pocket without me noticing. Who taught you how to be a pick pocket?"

"You did." Amelia answered, eyebrows knitting together.

"I-" Nicole paused frowning. "I did in fact teach you didn't I? Well done."

"You taught you friend's kid how to pickpocket?" William asked, snickering.

"Only so she could use her powers to help me when I am hatching a plot. Not so she could use her powers against me." Nicole argued with a sighed. "I have created a monster."

"I'm not a monster." Amelia pouted.

"Only a little." William grinned. "Tell me Amelia, did Nicole actually tell you I have a cute butt or where you just making stuff up?"

"No I heard her say that." Amelia answered simply.

"Amelia!"

------------------------

"What movie do you wanna see." Brendon asked, as the two scanned the movie times.

"I'm not sure." Jessica sighed. "If I had known I was going on a date I might have thought about it."

Brendon smiled but didn't look away from the movie times. "I am really sorry about Emily. It does explain your bad spelling though. It seems four year olds don't know how to use auto correct."

Jessica let out a snort of laughter. "You don't have to apologize, I'm sure that Amelia talked her into it."

"Well," Brendon grinned "Amelia did tell Emily that she saw you making lovey eyes at me."

"Oh dear God." Jessica groaned. hiding her face in her hands, to keep Brendon from seeing how red her face was.

"If it makes you feel better I don't mind you making lovey eyes at me." Brendon grinned.

"It doesn't," Jessica answered, letting out a sigh. "Did you decide on a movie?"

"How about Unfriended?" Brendon shrugged.

"That looks like a terrible horror movie." Jessica frowned.

"Exactly. We can make fun of it and laugh at the people who are actually scared of the very stupid horror movie idea." Brendon smiled, looking over at her.

Jessica shrugged "I suppose. I mostly watch children movies now so I don't even know what most of the other ones are about."

"Two for unfriend." Brendon told the lady at the counter, as he pulled out his wallet.

"That movie doesn't start for another hour." the movie employee smiled. "Is that alright?"

"Yeah of course." Brendon handed her his card and smiled "We will just have to go get ice cream to pass the time."

The theater employee smiled "You two are so cute. How long have you been dating?"

"We aren't dating." Jessica frowned.

"Married?" she smiled.

"No," Jessica answered, a little too quickly.

Brendon chuckled and told the employee to have a great day before tucking the tickets into his wallet for safe keeping. "There is an ice cream shop just a few blocks away." he smiled, "Wanna get some?"

"I don't see why not."

-----------------------------------

"Aren't you bored hanging out at a park?" Nicole asked, sitting on a bench next to him as Amelia played on the slide.

"Nah," William shrugged "I like kids and its a nice day out. Besides if I leave Amelia will be upset and that kid can pout better than I can, she has a gift."

Nicole smiled and turned her gaze back to Amelia as she climbed the ladder to the slide. "Yes she does. I think that kid could rule the world with the pout if she tried."

"It is a strong possibility." William grinned "I can see you have already started her world leader training."

"She needs to know how to use her powers properly. What is a mastermind without a mentor."

"Too true."

Nicole let out a soft sigh and leaned back against the bench. "You're welcome to come to dinner with us. I promised Amelia we would go to Tommy's to get dinner and milkshakes."

William let out a fake gasp. "You are going to actually invite me somewhere."

Nicole raised an eyebrow. "Want me take it back."

"No I-" William was intuited by Amelia's scream.

It the blink of an eye William had picked the little girl up before Nicole got there. Amelia had tears in her eyes and it was obvious she had scrapped her knee.

"You're alright." William said sitting down on the bench with her on his lap, and brushing her hair from her face.

"It hurts!" Amelia sobbed.

"Can I see?"

Amelia's eyebrows knitted together but she nodded slowly.

"It's just a scratch." He smiled "nothing too much for a big girl like you to handle."

"I am a big girl." Amelia answered, wiping away tears "but it still hurts."

"You know what always makes me feel better when I get hurt?" William asked, a smile tugging at the side of his lips.

Amelia shook her head, eyes full of curiosity.

Nicole watched the two slightly amazed, she had never seen anyone besides herself and Jessica calm Amelia down so quickly.

"A song. Wanna hear one?"

Amelia nodded quickly, a huge smile taking over her face.

William seemed to think for a moment before opening his mouth and singing.

"Attention! Attention!
May I have all your eyes and ears to the front of the room,
if only, if only for one second.
Will you hear what I have to say?"


Nicole smiled lightly, she never heard William sing before and found herself wishing she had listened to his band before they had broken up. William caught her watching and held her eyes as he continued to sing.

"Oh, did I mention when I see you it stings like hell?
To the fact that we could have something that'll never happen.
Will you hear what I have to?"


-----------------

"What would you like?" Brendon asked, his eyes scanning the dozens of favor choices.

"My all time favorite is chocolate but maybe I'll try something different." Jessica shrugged. "Do you have any suggestions?"

"Chocolate is always a favorite but I'm also a huge fan of almost all the sherbets." Brendon shrugged.

"Rocky road sounds good too." Jessica sighed. "I'm apparently very indecisive today."

"I could choose for you." The lady behind the counter suggested. "I'm really good at choosing what people like."

Brendon and Jessica both shrugged. "Sure it will be an adventure." Brendon grinned.

"Close your eyes." The employee smiled.

"I'm trusting you to keep anything strange from going into my ice cream." Jessica glared playfully at Brendon before closing her eyes.

"You can trust me with anything," Brendon smirked "and stop peaking."

"I'm not peaking," Jessica smiled, keeping her eyes closed.

"I don't trust you." Was all she heard before she felt someone behind her and hands placed over her eyes.

Jessica had to stop herself from jumping. She could feel her heart racing but didn't know why. It was just Brendon, him placing his hands over her eyes shouldn't make her heart race so.

"Here you go." The employee smiled as Brendon uncovered Jessica's eyes. "A mix of cookies and creme and chocolate chip cookie dough, with cookies crunched up and mixed in."

"Oh," Jessica smiled "that sounds amazing."

"Your turn." The woman behind the counter smiled at Brendon. "Are you going to cover his eyes?" She added turning her attention to Jessica.

"Nope," Jessica smiled taking a bite of her ice cream.

"Look at that she trust you not to peak but you don't trust her."

"Oh I don't trust him," Jessica smiled "This ice cream is just too good."

Brendon smirked but didn't open his eyes.

----------------

"My little pony bandages make everything better." Nicole smiled as she placed the band-aid over Amelia scrapped knee. There wasn't any blood but at least the band-aid made Amelia feel better about the whole thing.

"And Jack's singing." Amelia chirped in.

Nicole grinned and glanced over at William. "And Jack's singing."

William smirked. "I'll sing for you girls anytime, all you have to do is ask."

"Are you ready to go get dinner?" Nicole asked getting to her feet and bushing dirt off her skinny jeans.

"Jack!" Amelia pouted "You have to come to dinner with such! I might need another song."

"I had planned on it kiddo." William smiled and ruffled Amelia's hair. "Cool already invited me."

"Ride in Cool's jeep with us." Amelia grinned.

"Then I would have to drive him back here." Nicole frowned "It would make more sense for him to take his own car."

"Please." Amelia pouted. "What if I need a song while we are in the jeep?"

"Then I will turn on the radio."

"No," Amelia shook her head quickly "It has to be one of Jack's songs."

"I happen to have the nightmare before Christmas soundtrack." Nicole smirked.

"It's not Christmas Cool and I don't like nightmares." Amelia answered with a scowl.

"I don't mind picking my car up tomorrow if you are willing to just take me back to Brendon's house." William answered with a shrugged. "Anything to make the kid happy."

Nicole sighed a little. "I am outnumbered and any arguments I make are futile. Get in the jeep if you'd like William."

"I do like." William smirked and climbed into the passenger seat.

------------------------------

"Hmm I love ice cream." Jessica smiled as the two headed back towards the movie theater as they finish their cones.

"Me too, but I never really have it that often. I don't know why." Brendon answered taking a bite of the cone.

"I can't have it because if I do then Amelia has some and she does not need a lot of sugar. Nicole gives her enough of it." Jessica smiled, wiping ice cream drip off her finger with a napkin.

"At least she helps you out, even if she is bent on turning your child into a monster."

Jessica shrugged "There are worse things she could be." Jessica tossed the plastic bowl in the trash as they entered the movie theater and smiled at Brendon.

"Popcorn?" He asked with a smile, leading her towards the concession stand.

"And a pretzel if you don't mind."

Brendon grinned "Anything the lady wants she shall have."

"Anything?" Jessica grinned back.

"Anything." He said a little softer, leaning closer so she could still hear him.

Jessica smiled "How about sour patch kids?"

Brendon glared playfully "Only if they are watermelon flavor."

"Those are my favorite." Jessica grinned back.

"Oh no." Brendon sighed.

"What." Jessica frowned.

Brendon knitted his eyebrows together and leaned in to whisper. "I think we have a problem."

"We do?" Jessica whispered back.

"Yes," Brendon grinned "Amelia was right."

"About?"

"We are perfect for each other."

-----------------------------

"You can't have a whole pizza and chicken strips." Nicole chuckled.

"Why not?" Amelia pouted. "I really want both."

"What if you get the chicken strips and order a side of mac and cheese?" William suggested, pointing to the photo of the mac and cheese.

"I do love macs and cheeses." Amelia answered, still pouting a little.

"Plus,' William added, giving her a crooked grin "I think I want to get some pizza. I'll give you a couple bites of you are still hungry after you finish your food. Sound good?"

"Okay!" Amelia perked up instantly, and took a drink of her milkshake.

"Why don't you just roll over and let her scratch your ears." Nicole smirked. "You can't let a kid have everything they want."

"I'm not," William smiled at her over his menu. "I just might not be able to finish the pizza by myself."

"Sure." Nicole answered, failing to not roll her eyes. "You know if you give her everything then she is going to start expecting you to give her everything."

"I'm not going to give her everything," William repeated "It's not like I see Amelia that much anyway."

"I am just warning you." Nicole answered, taking a drink of her own milkshake.

"That's not true Jack." Amelia smiled.

"What isn't true?" Nicole smirked, curious of what was going to come out the small child's mouth next.

"That Jack isn't going to see me very much." Amelia pipped up as a plate was set down in front of her. "Once he marries you he will be my uncle!"

Nicole instantly started couching on the fry she had just eaten.

"You okay?" William frowned.

She nodded and quickly took a drink from one of the glasses of water sitting on the table. She couched one more time and gave Amelia and exasperated look. "I am not marrying William, Amelia."

"Why not?" Amelia half frowned and half pouted. "You said he has a cute butt and all he ever does is stare at you. He probably thinks you are pretty."

"Amelia," Nicole growled in a warning tone "enough."

"I don't think she is pretty." William comment casually as he took a bite of his pizza.

Nicole and Amelia stopped their argument to look at William. Nicole was glaring and Amelia looked like she was going to cry.

"That's a horrible thing to say, Jack." Amelia pouted.

William turned his gaze to Nicole, catching her eyes with his. "I think she is the most beautiful girl in Vegas."

"Awwww." Amelia sighed, a huge grin taking over her face.

"Then," Nicole growled "Maybe you should go back to Chicago."