Status: Update when I can

Red Is for Traitor

To Walk on My Own Two Feet

Two months passed since my mother and step-father disowned us and Arawn still laid in a quiet deep sleep. Unable to continue my work without going to the forest to collect the needed plants and berries, I managed to convince some villagers to move my brother to our cottage. It annoyed me how much the three men moaned about carrying Arawn through the woods. I cared for them while he helped them. The least they could do was help him return home. Around mid afternoon, the men carefully shifted Arawn onto the bed that was last occupied by our Grandmother before leaving.
I immediately started opening the windows to let the fresh air and sunlight in. While he continued to slumber, I moved around the house; cleaning, straightening, and gathering materials. By supper the cottage was close to how it once was before our unexpected stay in the village. I sat by Arawn's side drinking tea and slowly making my way through the over cooked stew I made. I couldn't help but laugh at how terrible of a cook I still was, even months after my brother fell into his coma. You would have thought I would have learned by now.
As I tried my best to feed Arawn, I listened to the the wolf pack howl to the moon and each other. I cocked my head in curiosity at how close they sounded. I placed the bowl down and walked to the opened door. A few seconds later the pack ran by, fully wolf on the pregnant moon night. One of the wolves paused and scratched the ground as a pup yipped up to me in greeting. I knelt down uncaring if my skirt became dirty and greeted the fluff ball. "Good evening, Zane. Are you enjoying your run?" The pup let out a bark as he tried to climb into my lap. My eyes shifted up to find Sindri trotting in place, anxiously waiting for his son. With a smile my eyes returned to Zane. I stroked his fur a few times before whispering, "It was lovely seeing you, you will grow into a strong wolf, but you best be off. Your father and pack is waiting for you." Zane let out one more bark, licked my hand, and then ran off. He rubbed up against Sindri before running after the rest of the pack. I raised my hand in greeting to my old friend, whom proceed sneeze with a full body shake and then run off. I waited a moment more enjoying the quiet and warmth of the night, and then I walked inside to do my nightly chores.
The next morning brought a surprise. As I wandered how I was going to pick my medicinal plants, roots, berries, etc without leaving Arawn for too long, I received a knock on the door. I put down the Jar I was cleaning and opened the door to find Trista and Zane. The latter jumped up, "Mak!" I easily caught and set him on my hip.
"Good morning Zane, how are you?" My eyes went to Trista whom greeted me with a head nod.
"Gweat!" He snuggled in closer to me with his arms around my neck. Well, this is new.
"I am glad. Good morning Trista, how are you today? Was the run last night peaceful?" I allowed her into the cottage where we sat at the small table built for four.
"Last night was beautiful, it felt wonderful to run freely. Zane was able to keep up most of the night." The older woman smiled proudly at her grandson. The pup beamed and wiggled in happiness.
"I am glad." I smiled at her before addressing the sleepy child. "I told you, you would be a wonderful wolf." Zane laughed into my neck, embarrassed at the praise. I shook my head with a small smile on my face as I looked back up at the once Alpha. "I do not mean to be rude, but why are you here? I have not seen you visit in quite some time."
"Not rude at all. If anything I should be apologizing for not visiting you in your time of need. Being in town too long could be detrimental, especially with this pup running around."
"Has Zane not learned to control his shift?" By now Zane had fallen asleep, his ear to my heart.
"He has to a degree but being a wolf is exciting since he still learning how to control it. He is also too young to understand fully that not all humans like werewolves." I nodded my head in understanding. I was similar when I was first learning how to use a bow. "However,since you are now back in the safety of the forest, I can assist you with your brother if you so desire. I can look after him while you go to the village or hunt."
Taken back, I looked at her surprised. She was the first person to offer me real help in a long time. "T-that would- that would be- most helpful. Thank you, but you do not have to."
"No one is pressuring me to do it." Trista laughed. "I want to help and I know Zane enjoys keeping you company."
"Is Sindri going to be angry over this? My scent will be all over Zane now."
Trista cocked her head before replying, "It'll be fine. He didn't seem to mind too much that Zane carried your scent last night."
"I suppose, but he was quite impatient. He danced in place as Zane greeted me. Although I am surprised he did not try to attack me since Zane is his pup."
"Sindri would never attack you unless you were harming Zane or any of the pack." Trista gave a gentle smile. "My son may still have some residual anger from the past decade, but deep down he knows he can trust you not to hurt anyone in the pack. Especial Zane who is quite taken by you." I blushed, hugging the child in my arms to hide how uncomfortable I was. "Give it a little more time and Sin will be less hesitant around you."
I looked down and whispered, "I doubt that. Too much has happened for us to return to how things were."
"You don't need to return to the relationship of your childhood. Relationships are meant to grow and change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worst. I believe given some time, you and Sin will come out stronger than before."
I snorted, "We shall see, Trista. I am glad you have the optimism for the two of us. At the moment I am spending all of mine on Arawn."
"And rightly you should. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise that he will not get better. You would know if he wasn't."
With a nod I requested, "If you do not mind me taking you up on your offer now, I need to start restocking before the villagers come and find that I am lacking. They will start going to the 'doctor' in town and we cannot have that."
Trista chuckled, "I don't mind. I'm surprised that you are still so willing to help those who complain when you asked them to carry your brother."
As I passed the still sleeping Zane, I replied, "They may be selfish at times, but they are still important. Maybe one day they will help another as I have and see how precious life really is."
"You are your grandmother's granddaughter." I blushed before excusing myself. Taking my bow and arrows and basket, I started walking the woods. For the first time in months, I stopped where I was and breathed in the spring air. It felt wonderful to once again be outside among the trees, plants, and animals.
For a couple of hours I was free to do as I pleased. I scanned the brush for different plants and fruits, I silently watched a family of deer graze, I hunted a few rabbits for dinner, and sat by the river to bask in the sun and songs of the woods. Once I had collected everything I needed, I started the journey back to the cottage feeling better than I had when I left. I chuckled when I came to the edge of the clearing where the house was. Zane romped around in his wolf form, gleefully chasing anything that came close to his play area. When he noticed I was there, he yipped happily and ran over. After he sniffed everything and rubbed against my leg, he followed me into the cottage where I placed my basket full of ingredients and discarded my weapons.
Trista stood from where she sat by Arawn's bed and walked over to me. "Do you need any help?"
"I do not think so, you have been quite helpful already. Thank you."
"It was my pleasure. If you do not need us, I believe it is time to return to the Den. Sin will be home soon." The latter comment directed more towards Zane than myself. The pup of course started running around barking, eager to see his father after a day way from him. We bid each other farewell and while I started cleaning and skinning some of the rabbits, Trista and an energetic Zane made their way back to the pack.
By the time they arrived, Sindri had moments earlier arrived in the Den area. The former Alpha leisurely walked to her family while Zane ran at his father. Sindri bent down to catch his pup who wiggled in excitement and all but burrowed in Sindri's torso.
"Where have you been?" Sindri asked, cuddling his pup.
"I believe you already know that answer." Trista smiled before bending down to kiss her son's head.
Sindri wrinkled his nose as his eyes shifted to a silvery color. "Why does he smell so strongly of Macha?" He knew Macha was aware that it was unwise to scent a werewolf without consent. Or in this case the consent of the pup's father.
"It is through no fault of Macha. You may want to have a talk with your son about scenting her when she is not pack or an official ally. He demanded to be attached to her the moment we arrived at the cottage."
With a sigh, Sindri asked, "Why were you at the cottage anyway?"
"You are aware that Zane and I visit her when she lives in the woods. The only reason we did not when she was in the village was because Zane cannot fully hold his shift or he chooses not to. Besides, she needs help and very few are willing. Zane and I will be watching over Arawn the days Macha needs to collect or hunt in the woods or travel to the village. Unless you wish for Zane to stay here, then I will go myself."
"No." Sindri huffed, picking his son up in his arms. Zane nuzzled into the crook of Sindri's neck and sighed in sleepy content. "Zane would be unhappy if he found out you went to the Cottage without him. I'll talk to him though about personal space."

And so the days and weeks passed in yet another new routine. Almost everyday Trista and Zane came by to either keep me company or watch Arawn while I walked the woods for ingredients or meat. Every so often Zane would come along and I would teach him why I picked a certain plant or taught him what it was like to hunt like a human. He absorbed everything with glee and child like curiosity. I enjoyed those days the most because selfishly I would forget my troubles and responsibilities and only focus on the forest around me. When I was not teaching Zane how to use a bow, he would practice hunting down small creatures such as mice and rabbits. He rarely caught anything and if he did he usually let it go. I always praised him and when we returned, he would run to his grandmother to tell her his feat.
I saw the wolf pack off and on throughout late spring and early summer. On night's of the full moon, they always ran by with Zane scratching at my door to say hello. Random days I would find them prowling around, following the deer as they grazed by the cottage. If the hunt was not too pressing, a few of the wolves (either in human or canine form) would drop by before running off back tot he pack. By midsummer even Sindri and I were able to hold short conversations without him storming off.
It was one such day where the weather was bad enough that the men were told to finish up their work tomorrow. He was walking back to the Den when he came across me laying down on a ledge. My day had already started off sour and continued curdle as the day leisurely went by. I was soaked through from the down pour and mud covered my front from where I laid. Moments earlier my strap broke and flopped over the ledge. Thankfully it remained slouched on a smaller ledge 6 and a half feet below, although most of its contents were either scattered on the protruding side or taken by the gushing water. I cursed to myself as my fingers skimmed the worn leather but did not grip it. I nearly fell over when Sindri startled me.
"Sindri!" I yelped scraping my hand on the ridged rocks. "What are you doing here?"
"Heading home." He yelled over the rushing river, squinting to keep the rain out of his eyes. "We need to leave, the storm's going to get worse!"
"I cannot, at least not yet!"
"Leave it!"
"No, I need my satchel!" I went to bend back down but was stopped.
"We can get it when the storm's over!"
"It'll be swept away by then! Go back to Zane, I am fine."
"Like hell I'm leaving you! Move, I'll get it."
"No, I can do it on my own. Go find shelter."
"Stop being difficult, Max. I can get it easier." He bent down next to me and tried to invade my space enough so I would move.
"I do not need your help."
Sindri huffed in annoyance as he removed his hair from his face. "Why can't you just accept my help so we can get out of this?"
"I have not needed help in these past dozen years and I do not need help now!" I glared at him stubbornly. His face shifted and his gaze grew intense. I shifted uncomfortably and asked, "What?" He shook his head and nudged me out of the way. "What the hell Sin!?" Without saying a word, he bent over the ledge and snagged my fallen satchel.
"Let's go." Without handing it back to me, he helped me up and we started the trek home. I could feel my heart beating faster at how close he was. He radiated warmth even in the cold downpour we walked through. His body was on an inch or two from me and on occasion his hand would find my lower back or arm whenever we hiked up a slippery hill. By the time we made it back to the cottage my head was spinning and all I wanted to do was curl up next to Arawn to pretend the last half hour did not happen.
The moment we walked through the door like half drowned rats, Trista greeted us. "Oh thank the gods you're home Macha, I though- Sin! What a pleasant surprise." She smiled as she handed us towels I apparently had.
"Hello, momma." Once Sindri dried his hair and wrapped the worn fabric around his shoulders, he kissed his mother's cheek and bent down to greet his son.
"Poppa!" The pup exclaimed happily, running at Sindri.
"Careful pup, I'm all wet."
"It okay. I like wain."
"So you do."
As father and son bonded, Trista walked over to me. "What took you so long? I was beginning to worry."
I stripped off my cloak before replying, "I dropped my satchel and needed to retrieve it before the river swept it away."
"You can always replace bag, you can't replace people." She gently scolded.
"I needed the contents that were still inside."
"What was so important that you nearly drowned?"
"The Decem hyacintho petalis flower. It only blooms once every tens years on the first rain between the 23rd of June and around the 15th of August. It is supposed to have miracle like properties that can heal almost anything. Grandmother talked about it once. If it cannot help Arawn, perhaps it can help some other poor soul."
Trista touched my cheek and like always I flinched at the contact. She quickly withdrew her hand and sighed, "I understand. Let's get you two out of those clothes before either of you catch a cold."
"Arawn's clothes are in the top drawer. The pants may be a little short, but should fit."
"Thank you. Sindri, stay in the kitchen and face the door, Macha come with me." We only went to where Arawn slept soundly, but it was enough space where it did not feel as though Sindri and I were changing in the same room. Trista put up the dressing screen to give more privacy.
I pinned my hair up with some sticks before starting the process of slipping off my soggy clothes. I heard Trista walk around the screen right as I pulled my shift off. I also heard the way her breath hitched in her throat and the way she slowly walked over to me. "Macha..." Her voice was a soft whine. Her fingers gingerly traced the silver scars that spattered my back.
"It is fine." My voice matched her volume while my mind flickered through the memories of how I received a few. "May I have my clothes, I am beginning to chill." Trista withdrew her fingers from my skin and handed me my dry light green dress. "Thank you." She did not reply, instead leaving me to dress silently. Once finished I stepped back into the kitchen where Trista had already hung most of the wet clothes near the fire and Sindri stood uncomfortable in Arawn's clothes. I bit my lips trying not to laugh at how the pants were an inch or two above his ankle and the sleeves were halfway up his forearm. I dropped my eyes down however when I noticed how tight the shirt hugged Sindri's torso.
Clearing my throat, "Thank you Trista for hanging the clothes."
Like usual she smiled at me and replied, "No problem at all. The least I could do for housing us during the storm."
"You would not be here though if I had not taken so long returning. Please apologize to Alpha Corbin for keeping you from returning." Trista rolled her eyes with a smile on her face. I felt Sindri's eyes tracking me as I moved about trying to collect the proper jars for the herbs, roots, berries, and flowers I still managed to salvage.
"Mak can I help?" Zane asked, trying to look over the table.
"Sure." Sindri pulled a chair over and plopped his son into it. "Separate them into what looks similar, please." Zane nodded and got to work trying to separate each into their own groups. While we worked, Trista and Sindri ended up sitting by the fire talking quietly; too low for me to hear. As the hours passed, the storm became worse. Around dinner lighting came, startling poor Zane. He screamed in fear and launched himself at Sindri; whimpering. I watched as Sindri tried to sooth the fear away, hugging his son tightly so the pup felt protected.
It was strange watching the interaction. Sindri from my memories was carefree, fun loving, on occasion liked to be alone, rough, and ready to tease anyone (especially his sibling). Yet here was another side that I never got to see develop. He learned to be gentle (something he had to be reminded of numerous times whenever we played together) and someone to run to when you wanted comfort. It was not that he was not kind when he was a child, but I could never picture myself running to him if I wanted a hug from a nightmare or when papa's death was too crushing to handle.
When he caught me staring, his eyes met mine and he asked in a low but rough voice, "What?"
I thought about lying, but did not have the energy to. "You where fatherhood well." He looked at me startled as I stood up and looked out the window. "You may stay here if you wish. The storm does not appear to be passing anytime soon." After locking the window I turned back towards my guests. "You may sleep down here where the fire is, or you may take the loft which is more private. It is your choice."
"Where do you normally sleep?" Trista was the one to ask.
"Depends on the night. Sometimes the loft, sometimes with Arawn." Trista raised a brow at my confession. It was nearly unheard of for male and female siblings to still sleep in the same bed at our age. I shrugged, "Wolves are not the only creature whom seek others for comfort. Sometimes it is nice knowing that another is there and you are not so alone."
Nodding an understanding, Trista replied, "We shall take the loft, we run warmer than you anyway so no fire would make little difference." I nodded and went to the chest that held some extra blankets. After bidding the three wolves a good night, changed into a nightgown, and checked the fire and our clothes, I crawled into bed with Arawn. My back pressed into his side and listened to his deep steady breathing. When I could not sleep after what felt like hours, I started counting how far away the storm really was.
♠ ♠ ♠
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=147790917 -Macha's outfits