‹ Prequel: The New World 3
Sequel: The New World 5
Status: Complete! S5 in the works

The New World 4

Ch.2

Sabrina felt around on the bed and felt an empty cold spot next to her. She opened her eyes and saw that Daryl wasn't in bed but he was getting ready for the day.

"What time is it?" She mumbled sleepily and about that time she heard an alarm clock in the distance.

Daryl chuckled, "I'd say it's mornin'. Probably 'round six." He said as he finished buckling his belt.

Groaning and rolling out of bed she quickly threw some jeans and a shirt on. The two of them left their cell to see Beth walking towards Rick.

"Morning Sabrina and Daryl."

"Morning Rick." She said

Carl came his out of a cell as Rick was handing Judith over. The father and son duo left the cell block.

"I'll help you out today Beth." She called down to her.

"Thanks."

Sabrina smiled as she made her way to the stairs but before she could make it to the steps Daryl grabbed her arm gently to pull her against him.

"Ya gonna take it taday?" He whispered in her ear as he stuck a stick in her back pocket.

"Yeah, let me see if Beth's going to be good for ten minutes then I'll go and take it." She sighed, "Daryl, what if-"

"Then we'll jus' have ta deal with it."

Sabrina was about to kiss him but she was interrupted when one of the Woodbury people came into the cell block with a frantic look on their face. "There's walkers in D block!"

Daryl let go of Sabrina and rushed down the stairs. "Shorty, stay here with Beth until I say it's clear! Lock the cell block up!" He instructed before following the person quickly.

Sabrina went down the stairs quickly and debated on following them or not. If she followed Daryl would be pissed at her. If she didn't follow and walkers came into this cell block she could defend Beth and Judith. She made up her mind quickly, she shut and locked the cell block down before going back to Beth.

"You should go help."

"If I go Daryl will be pissed at me for living you and Judith unprotected. I'm sure it's under control." She looked at Beth.

Judith started whimpering so Sabrina held her arms out. Beth handed her over and left Judith's cell to get her a bottle.

"You know, you're starting to get heavy. Pretty soon you'll be up and walking like a big girl." She said sweetly to Judith.

Beth came back in with the bottle. "Do you want to feed her?"

"Su-" She was cut off when she heard something walking around by the cell block entrance. "Take Judith." She said handing her off to Beth before shutting the cell door behind her.

Sabrina drew out her weapon and slowly went to the metal barred gate. She was about to attack when she saw Daryl, Rick, Hershel and Glenn.

"Is it clear?"

"Yeah." Daryl said with a hint of sadness.

She unlocked the gate quickly to let them in. "What happened?"

"We don't know but Patrick was the source of it." Rick said.

"Patrick?" She asked shocked.

"We talked to Dr. S and we found out that he choked to death on his own blood." Hershel said.

"But he was just fine yesterday."

"I know. We believe it was from the pigs or the birds." Rick said.

Sabrina put her hand on her abdomen. "Can I head to the bathroom. I've got to go pretty bad."

"I'll walk ya down, jus' don't ge' to close."

She looked at him strangely but followed Daryl to the bathrooms. Once she got there she went into one of the stalls to do her business.

"How long does it say until we know the results?" Daryl asked from the other side of the door.

She skimmed over the directions quickly. "Five minutes."

Daryl grunted, this was going to be the longest five minutes of his life. Sabrina tried to go but she couldn't now because she had an audience.

"Daryl? Could you walk a few stalls down?"

"Why?" He asked turning to the door with a confused looked.

"Because my bladder is being bashful right now."

Daryl rolled his eyes with a sigh and walked a few stalls down. When she heard him walk away her bladder finally released the light yellow urine. When she was done she put the cap on the stick and waited. This was going to be the longest five minutes for her too. She exited the stall and went to wash her hands.

"So wha's it say?"

"We have about another minute Daryl." She said as she washed her hands.

When she turned around she saw Daryl looking at the stick, like it was a ticking time bomb. Daryl looked up from it and to Sabrina. "Wha'?

Sabrina chuckled as she dried her hands. "It's not going to kill you."

He grunted a little at her then snapped his gaze back to the stick when it made a noise, he let out a sigh.

"What's it say?" She asked going over to him and the test.

She peeked over his shoulder and saw 'Not Pregnant'. "Daryl?"

Part of Daryl was glad that Sabrina wasn't pregnant. This new world wasn't a place to be bringing babies into. And another part of him actually wanted her to be pregnant. He wanted to try and be a father, not like his father though. He wanted to hold and cradle something that he created. Then Daryl's mind started racing with questions. Would he be a good father or would he end up just like his father?

"Glad yer not havin' a baby Shorty, this world ain't a place fer babies." He said softly.

Sabrina nodded understandingly, even though she wanted to try and be a mother again. She hugged Daryl from behind and he rested his hands on hers.

"The counsel's meetin' in a few minutes. We better head to it." He informed.

Nodding her head and the two of them headed towards the counsel room. The two of them walked into the room in silence. Carol, Glenn, Hershel and Sasha watched them as they entered. Sabrina pulled out a chair and sat down while Daryl turned one around and straddled it.

"I take it Patrick was the source but how did he get sick? Sabrina asked.

"We're not really sure. Patrick was fine yesterday and he died overnight. Two people died that quick? We'll have to separate everyone that's been exposed."

"Tha's everyone in tha' cell block, tha's all of us. Maybe more."

"We know this sickness can be lethal. We don't know how easily it spreads. Is anyone else showing symptoms that we know of?"

"We can't just wait and see, I mean there's children. It isn't just the illness, people die, they become a threat."

"We need a place for them to go, they can't stay in D. We can't risk going in there to clean it up."

"We can use cell block A."

"Death row, I'm not sure if that's much of an upgrade."

"Me and Daryl went in there and cleaned it." Sabrina said, finally speaking up.

"Tha's an upgrade. Think tha'll work fer Dr. S?"

"I'll help Caleb get it set up."

The group became silent and wide eyed when they heard someone coughing and the cough was getting closer. Daryl was the first one to get up and the others followed.

"Shorty, stay in here."

"Daryl, I've already came in contact with you, it's too late." She said getting up from her chair and heading out the door with an irritated Daryl right behind her.

"I'm just taking her back to my cell so she can rest."

"Tyreese, I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why? What's going on now?" Karen asked.

Everyone was silent until Glenn spoke up. "We think it's the flu or something, that's how Patrick died."

"Judith is in that cell block, she's vulnerable. Anyone that may be sick or even exposed should stay away."

"It-It killed Patrick?"

"She's going to be ok. Now that we know what Patrick died from, we can treat it right?"

"Don't panic, we're going to figure this out but we should keep you separated in the mean time. We'll have Caleb take a look at you and we'll see what we have in medications."

"David from the decator group, he's been coughing too." Karen ratted out.

"I'll get him. There's some cleaning supplies in the tomb right?" Glenn asked as he walked away quickly.

"Yeah, we'll meet you there." Sasha said.

Sasha went to her brother and Karen to take them to quarantine.

"About to call another meeting later."

"A'righ'. I'll ge' ta buryin' the dead ones."

"You wear gloves and a mask."

Daryl agreed then took Sabrina's hand and started walking away but stopped. "Ya a'righ'?" He asked Carol.

"I'm worried about Lizzie and Mika, they were around Patrick."

"We all were. Karen and David will be separated until they start feelin' better." Daryl answered.

Sabrina was watching Carol and it looked like Carol was battling with herself, but why? "You're right. Are you two ok?"

Sabrina didn't answer for a few seconds. Of course she wasn't ok, whatever is going around is in their home, their safe place. All she did was nod sadly.

"Mmm hmm, gotta be." Daryl answered before taking Sabrina's hand again and walked away with her.

The two of them walked out of the prison and to the shovels. Daryl picked one up and Sabrina looked at him curiously.

"Am I not helping or something? I thought that's why you brought me out here."

"I wanna talk ta ya 'bout some things." He said as he headed to the 'cemetery'.

She followed him and when he got to a spot, he started digging. Sabrina sat down in the grass a few feet away from him.

"So, what do we need to talk about?" She finally asked after a few minutes of silence.

"The results." He said with a grunt as he shoveled more dirt out.

She stopped picking blades of grass and looked at him confused. "What do you mean?"

"Don't be playin' dumb Sabrina, I could tell by yer body language tha' you wanted it to read different."

"Ok? And your point is?"

He looked at her. "The poin' is, we can't have one, no' in this world."

"And you think I don't know that?" Sabrina snapped, she was becoming irritated. "With the way you looked earlier, you wanted it to read 'pregnant' too, so don't be putting this all on me."

"I'm no' puttin' it all on ya. If ya wanna know, yeah, I was disappointed with the results but I'm also happy."

Sabrina looked back down at the blades of grass that she tied together then looked over to the fencing to see Lizzie running away from Carol and Mika. She heard someone approaching so she turned her head and saw Rick.

"Hey Rick." She muttered.

"Hey there Sabrina."

"Glad ya were in there."

"Wasn't much use without my gun."

"Yeah, ya were. All this time ya been takin' off, ya earned it. We wouldn't be 'ere without ya."

"It was all of us."

"Nah, it was ya firs'. So ya gonna help us figure this ou'?

Sabrina lied down in the grass and looked up in the sky, tuning Rick and Daryl out. If she walked back up to the prison Daryl would be right behind her, dragging her back down here. She sighed, he didn't just want to talk to her, he wanted them to have a few minutes to themselves. She was quickly taken out of her semi-peaceful thoughts when Maggie started yelling. Sabrina shot up and saw that the fence line was buckling due to all the walkers piling up. They, along with some other people, started taking out walkers one by one. Sabrina put the crowbar through the chain linked fence and started killing walkers.

"Are you seeing this?!"

"What?" Sabrina asked Sasha.

She looked down at the ground. Who the hell is feeding rats to walkers?

Their attention turned back to the fence, it started buckling more. Everyone started pushing on the fence and walkers were killing theirselves on the fencing.

"Rick, we haven't made a dent, there's too many! We need another plan!" Sabrina yelled out while she pushed on the fence.

"Everybody back! C'mon back now!" Daryl yelled.

Everyone moved back quickly against the other fence. "The fence keeps bending in like that the walkers are coming over." Sasha panted out.

Rick thought for a few moments. "Daryl, go get the truck, I know what to do."

Daryl took Sabrina's hand and they ran off quickly. Once they got to the truck, Daryl hopped in it.

"Sabrina, stay here. I don't wan' ya ta ge' hur'." He said before speeding off.

She just rolled her eyes and ran back down to the fence, she needed to help. She heard a pig squealing and when she looked up she saw walkers eating the poor thing. The stood there in shock for a minute but she knew Rick was trying to save everyone.

"Sabrina, are you ok?"

She turned her head and saw Maggie. "I'll be fine. Let's get the fence stable."

Glenn, Maggie, Sasha, Tyreese and Sabrina put wooden poles up to stabilize the fence. Once the walkers left and the fence was stable Sasha cleaned up the rats and the others went back up to the prison. Sabrina looked at Daryl and he was glaring at her, he motioned for her to follow him to his motorcycle. Once they got there she sighed.

"I know what you're going to say and I'm telling you now I had to help out. Just because we're married doesn't mean I can't lift my own weight around here."

"Ya coulda gotten killed!"

"You could've too! I know that you're trying to protect me and everything. Damn Daryl, I'd rather die trying to protect everyone than not try at all!" She shot back.

Daryl narrowed his eyed at her with a low growl before backing her up into a wall. "Yer crazy, ya know tha'?" He smashed his lips to hers in a heated kiss.

Sabrina wrapped her arms around his neck and Daryl lifted her up. She wrapped her legs around his waist as he took them to his own private room.