‹ Prequel: The New World 3
Sequel: The New World 5
Status: Complete! S5 in the works

The New World 4

Ch.4

Running. That's what the five of them did, ran and ran until they couldn't see the horde of walkers. The group was deep into the woods by the time they were done running. They came across a stream where they could rest a bit and recharge. Tyreese went to rinse his shirt from all the walker splatter, Bob, Sabrina, Daryl and Michonne were up on the little bridge keeping lookout. Sabrina was just leaning against the railing with her elbows staring at nothing.

"Now it's going to take us even longer." Sabrina sighed. "I hope we make it to the meds. in time."

"So do I shorty."

"This is Turner Creek. So Barnesville must be a few miles downstream." Michonne informed.

"Sounds like our best chance at finding a new ride." Bob said.

"Yo, Ty. C'mon, let's go. Vamonos."

Daryl put his hand on the small of Sabrina's back as they started off the bridge. She looked back for a second to see Bob and Tyreese not following.

"Should we wait for them?"

"They'll catch up." Daryl said.

A few moments of them walking Sabrina looked behind them again to see Bob and Tyreese walking a few feet away from them. The group walked for what seemed like hours until they came across a dirt path, they started walking on the dirt path in silence for a few. She raised an eyebrow curiously at Daryl when he stopped and bent down suddenly. She saw him pick up a stone.

"Is that Jasper?" Michonne asked.

"Mm-hmm."

"It's a good color, brings out your eyes."

"I don't know you collected stones." Sabrina said.

"I don't shorty. When Ms. Richards went inta A block, we were leavin'. Asked me ta keep a lookout. I'm gonna use it fer her old man's marker."

"That's sweet of you." She said smiling softly.

"You know all them back there?"

"Ya stay in one place more than a couple hours, ya'd be surprised wha' ya pick up." Daryl said as he started walking again.

The rest of the walk was pretty silent except for the bugs and the crunching of the dirt and gravel under their feet. They finally came upon a run down gas station.

"Maybe we could find something here." She said hopefully, the heat was starting to get to her.

"You see something?" Bob called out when Daryl looked over at the over grown brush.

"I dunno, maybe."

Sabrina used some of her ninja throwing knives to cut away some brush while the others used their hands. Clearing some of the brush they came across a minivan. Daryl opened the passengers door and went to work on trying to hot wire the thing. Daryl re-emerged slightly annoyed.

"We gotta find us a new battery."

"I'm sure there's one around here somewhere." She said.

Daryl peeked into the dirty window of the building and was about to wipe some of the grime off but a walker hit it. Sabrina jumped at the sound and looked over to see if Daryl was ok.

"Got some friends inside. C'mon." He picked up his crossbow and the group followed him to where the entrance was supposed to be. They all started to cut and pull the brush away...except for Tyreese. He was slicing through the brush violently, letting his anger out.

"Hey, man, go easy. We don't know what we're dealing with." Daryl reminded but Tyreese ignored him.

Tyreese started grunting and the group looked over at him to see him struggling on getting his weapon unstuck.

"You hear that?" Sabrina whispered to Daryl. "It almost sounded like a door."

Tyreese got his weapon unstuck and started up again with the brush. Sabrina then let out a scream when a rotting hand came out and grabbed Daryl's shirt. Michonne sliced the arms off with her sword.

"You ok?"

"I'm fine shorty."

Their attention went to Bob when he let out a scream. A walker had gotten a hold of his shirt and was pulling him. Michonne went to help Bob out. Sabrina took care of the next walker that was coming in her and Daryl's way. Tyreese was pulling on a walker and the others were calling out to him to let the thing go. Once again he didn't listen. The walker came flying out of the overgrown brush making Tyreese fall on his back and the walker on top of him. Sabrina and Daryl went to him and the rotting corpse. Daryl pulled the thing off of him and Sabrina put a knife through it's head. When she knew that the walker was dead she turned towards Tyreese.

"Why the hell don't you listen?!"

Silence.

"Why the hell didn't you let go?" Michonne tried.

Silence.

"Daryl, don't offer him to come on a run again!" Sabrina said angrily. "Because of his childish behavior all of us almost got killed!"

"Shorty I understand tha' but ya gotta calm down. Remember, we gotta find a battery and get the meds. fer the people. 'nd we made it ta live another day."

She glared at Daryl but she knew that he was right. She kicked the walkers body in frustration before helping out on getting some of the brush away from the door. A few minutes went by before they were able to squeeze themselves into the building. Daryl went first to make sure the coast was clear then Bob and Sabrina. Daryl and Bob went to the garage part and Sabrina was looking over the items on the shelving. Daryl and Bob came out of the garage area with a battery.

"That one going to work?"

"It should."

She blinked a couple of times when she noticed Daryl was focused on the ground.

"What?" She started to look around.

"It's puke. Those douchebags in the vines took themselves ou', holdin' hand, kumbaya style."

"They wanted to go out together same as they lived. That make them douchebags?"

"It does if they could've gotten ou'."

"Everybody makes it, till they don't. People nowadays are dominoes. What they did, maybe it's about having to watch them fall."

When did Bob become a preacher. She thought.

"Righ'." Daryl said as he kept on wandering. "C'mon."

Bob and Sabrina followed Daryl and found a walker trapped under some debris. Daryl stood there for a moment before giving his head a nod towards the door before walking away. She followed him out then stepped back in.

"I think I'll stay in here a bit longer. You and Bob can have some bonding time."

Daryl shook his head with a smirk. Bob followed Daryl out and the two of them worked on the minivan. As those two worked on the minivan, Sabrina kept roaming the inside of the building. She decided to pick up a couple of full unopened water jugs before roaming again. Gasping to herself her eyes fell upon a Milky Way candy bar and a pack of Jolly Ranchers. She put the Jolly Ranchers in her bag quickly before unwrapping it and taking a bite. She let out a low moan, the last time she had one of these was in the winter. She jumped when she heard someone clear their throat. Sabrina finished the chocolatey caramel goodness before turning around to see Michonne.

"What's up?"

Michonne chuckled. "We're ready to go." She was about to walk out but stopped. "You might want to clean your face off." She then left.

Sabrina wiped her face off quickly before uncapping the water jug to take a big swig. Putting the cap back on she went outside to see everyone in the van and it running. She crawled into the back with Tyreese and Michonne. They drove for about fifteen minutes before Bob cut the engine saying that they needed to walk from here. The group got out and began walking to where they needed to be keeping their guard up.

"Looks like we're gettin' closer."

"The building we want is just up ahead." Tyreese said.

They walked a few more minutes before reaching the brick building that they needed to be at. One by one they filtered in Tyreese grasped Sabrina's arm gently before the two of them went in. "Sabrina, about earlier..."

"There's no need for you to apologize. If anyone has to apologize, it should be me. I know what you're going through is hard and that was the only way you could let out your frustrations. So I'm sorry when I snapped at you." She gave a soft smile. "Come on, let's get those meds. then get back to the prison."

He nodded and the two of them met back up with the group. The group made it to a class room and started putting things into their bags. They went through another room, grab things, next room and grabbed more things.

"How did you do?" Bob asked.

"Bags, tubes, clamps, connectors. Everything on the list." Tyreese answered.

"Wha' 'bout y'all?"

"Yeah, we got it all."

"Yeah, we're good." Michonne confirmed on what Bob said.

"A'righ', let's roll." Daryl picked up his crossbow leading the way. Sabrina and the gang were right behind him.

"This stuff is a lot heavier then it looked." She whispered as they made their way down the hallway.

Daryl stopped everyone and looked into a room, they heard gurgling and snarling. Walkers. They ran the best that they could to try to find an exit. All of them entered a dark room full of cages.

"There." Michonne said shining her flashlight to the stairs label.

Sabrina, Daryl, Michonne, Bob and Tyreese made their way to the stairs. Tyreese took out a surprise walker while Michonne looked and the chain and lock on the door. Walkers started banging and growling at the door.

"How many?"

"I can't tell."

"Oh shit. Daryl." Sabrina said frantically.

They looked to the door that they entered from and walkers were coming in that way. They were trapped.

"What do we do?"

"We can take 'em." Tyreese suggested.

"No! They're infected. Same as at the prison. We fire at 'em, get their blood on us, breathe it in. We didn't come all this way to get sick." Bob said.

"How do we know the ones in there aren't any different?" Tyreese fired back.

"We don't" Michonne said.

"Well, it's gotta change sometime." Daryl got the chains undone. "Ready?"

"Let's do it!"

The doors burst open and the group took down the walkers that came through before running out. They ran up the stairs to look for a way out. Bob was tossing things in the walkers way to give them time.

"We've hit a dead end!"

"There's no exit."

"Then we make one." Daryl said busting out the window. "Jump down to the walkway below." He instructed everyone.

Sabrina went first, then Michonne, Tyreese, Daryl and then Bob. Walkers were pooling down below and Bob almost lost the bag. Everyone told him to let the bag go but he didn't. The walkers finally released it and it flew out of Bob's hand with a clink. She looked at it curiously as did Michonne. Sabrina picked it up and opened it as Daryl approached.

"You've got to fucking be kidding me." She said shaking her head.

Daryl picked up the liquor bottle pissed. "Ya got no meds. in yer bag? Jus' this?"

Silence.

"Ya shoulda kept walkin' tha' day." He was about to throw it but Bob put his hand on the gun.

Sabrina pulled out her gun. "You even think of bringing that out again I'll shoot you here and now."

Daryl marched up to Bob and got right in his face. Forehead to forehead. Sabrina actually felt intimidated, she never seen Daryl so pissed off. Daryl took Bob's gun away then grabbed him by the shirt.

"Just let it go Daryl. The man's made his choice. Nothing you can do about it. Just gotta let it go." Tyreese called out.

Daryl let go of Bob but never backed off.

"I didn't want to hurt nobody. It was just for when it gets quiet."

Daryl shoved the liquor bottle against Bob's chest before growling out his threat. "Take one sip. When those meds ge' in our people, I will beat yer as inta the ground. Ya hear me?"

They continued on to the minivan with Bob trailing behind slowly. After talking out a few walkers they finally made it to the van. They piled in and took off to the prison. Sabrina let out an inaudible sigh as she relaxed. Before she knew it she passed out in the backseat.