‹ Prequel: The New World 3
Sequel: The New World 5
Status: Complete! S5 in the works

The New World 4

Ch.7

Sabrina had been awoken from a good dream to a sound of someone knocking on wood.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Groaning, she slowly slid out of bed and walked down the stairs. Making her way through the house, Sabrina could hear Daryl and the kids playing in the backyard along with their family slash hunting dog, Ol' Red. She smiled when she glanced out the backyard's sliding glass door to see the kids and Ol' Red dog piling Daryl. Hearing the knock again, she went to the front door and opened it with a smile when she seen that it was Rick.

"Hey Rick. We haven't seen you for a while, how are you doing?"

"Doing good Rina. Wow, look at you. How far along?"

Sabrina smiled happily as she looked down at her bigger then a watermelon stomach. "Seven in a half months."

"Wow. Soon to be five kids all together?"

She nodded. "Yep.I'm so proud of Ana. She's getting ready to graduate college next month."

"Really? Wow. I've missed a lot."

"You wanna come in?"

"Nah." He pointed to the vacant house next door. "I just wanted to say, hello Rina, I'm your new neighbor." Rick laughed.

Blinking surprised, Sabrina tilted her head curiously. "Really?" A smile broke out. "That's great! I'll go tell Daryl and the kids to go over and help you move in. I'd help too but knowing Daryl he'd tell me to go back home and rest."

"Damn righ' I would Shorty."

Jumping at the sudden voice Sabrina whisked around seeing Daryl coming up to them.

"Hey Rick." Daryl greeted. "I'm guessin' ya told Shorty tha' yer the new neighbor?"

Rick nodded as she looked between the two of them. "You mean you knew?" She asked Daryl.

"Course I knew. I'm the one tha' told 'im 'bout the house."

Sabrina suddenly blinked in confusion.

"Shorty?"

She didn't respond so Daryl put his hands gently on her shoulder. "Sabrina, ya ok?"

Nothing. He gave her a light shake. "Sabrina?"


Jolting up, panting heavily, Sabrina looked around and gasped loudly when she saw an extra sweaty and dirty Daryl.

"Daryl?" She asked in disbelief, Sabrina never thought she'd see him again.

He nodded silently, swiping some of her grimy hair out of her face. "It's me shorty."

With those three words falling from Daryl's lips, Sabrina's launched herself towards him, wrapping her arms tightly around his neck sobbing. Daryl instinctively wrapped his arms around Sabrina protectively, burying his face into her neck. What felt like an eternity passed but in reality it was only a few seconds before they broke apart.

"Ya ok? No scratches or bites from walkers?"

Sabrina nodded. "What about you? Anybody else with you?"

"I'm fine. Beth's with me."

"Only her? Where's the others? What about Hershel?..."

He nodded sadly. "I don't know where the others are..." Daryl looked away briefly as if to get his thoughts straight. "'Nd Hershel's-"

Sabrina could've swore she heard Daryl's voice crack, meaning the governor killed him. She hugged him tightly, cradling his head to her chest. "The governor's dead right?" Her voice was cold.

Daryl could only nod as his body shook from him crying silently.

"Daryl? Everything ok up there?" Beth's voice came from at the bottom of the steps.

Pulling himself together Daryl called out. "Yeah. Shorty's up 'ere!"

Soon after the two of them heard frantic footsteps coming up the stairs and the young blonde adult came through the door. Sabrina smiled and was about to say something but Beth tackle her in a bear hug., she returned it.

"Glad we found you alive." Beth's tearful muffled voice came to Sabrina's ears.

"I'm glad you guys found me."

After Beth let go wiping her tears away, she smiled at Sabrina. "Anybody make it from the bus?"

Sabrina hung her head remembering the sounds of gunshots. "No." She looked at them and seen Beth about to cry again. "Glenn and I got on the bus at the same time but he bailed right before it took off..."

"There's nothin' ya coulda done Shorty. Ya know Glenn's a hard headed bastard."

She nodded then looked down at Beth's wrapped ankle. "What happened?"

"Daryl was teaching me how to use his crossbow and track. Then I accidentally stepped into a bear trap." Sabrina flinched a bit at Beth's explanation.

"So ya'll ready ta see wha's in the kitchen?" Daryl asked changing the subject.

Sabrina nodded as she slid off the bed to stand up.

"By the way, how long have you been here?"

"Just last night." She answered looking over to Beth with a smile.

Beth nodded before the three of them left the bedroom and went down to the kitchen. Sabrina looked in the bottom cabinets, Beth looked in the fridge and Daryl looked in the top cabinets.

"Dang. Did you find anything?" Beth asked the couple.

Sabrina stood up shaking her head as Daryl opened another cabinet. The girls looked in it then chimed with a whoa.

"Can't believe it's stocked." Sabrina said as Daryl examined the foods.

"Peanut butter 'nd jelly, diet soda, 'nd pig's feet. That's a white trash brunch righ' there." Daryl said picking up a jar of jelly.

"It all looks good to me." Beth stated as Sabrina looked it over in confusion.

"No, hol' up." Daryl looked at his wife. "Ya didn't put this stuff here?"

"No. I pretty much came in, done a quick sweep for walkers then passed out on the bed."

Beth looked at the two of them. "What does that have to do with the food?"

"Ain't a speck of dust on this."

"So?" Beth said.

"Meaning it's someone's stash, they just put this stuff here." Sabrina stated.

"Maybe they're still alive?...Alrigh' we'll take some of it 'nd we'll leave the rest. alrigh'?" Daryl said uncapping the jelly.

"I knew it."

Sabrina raised her eyebrow curiously towards Beth as she leaned up against the table watching the two.

"Knew wha'?"

"It's like I said. There are still good people."

And Daryl's answer to Beth's statement was to dip two fingers into the jelly, scoop some out and groan in delight when the sweet goodness hit his taste buds. In return Beth told him gross and Sabrina bit her bottom lip. Then he stuck his tongue in the jar as Beth started to walk away.

"Hey, those pig's feet are mine."

"Trust me Daryl, nobody wants them." Sabrina said chuckling.

He looked over at her. "Ya no wha'? Yer gonna try some now Shorty."

"No I'm not, now eat your jelly." She scoffed.

Sabrina seen him snicker before walking out of the kitchen to start putting up the 'alarm system'. She sat down across from Beth snacking on some chips in deep thought. Something had changed between Daryl and Beth but Sabrina couldn't put her finger on it. She knew Daryl was faithful and if Sabrina ever died, he'd never go looking for love again. Even though Sabrina knew that, that little voice was still nagging in her mind. Beth was eighteen, a legal adult...could she have convinced Daryl somehow to have a one night stand with her? Sabrina shook that thought out of her head. Daryl wouldn't do that and Beth wouldn't cross that line.

"You ok Sabrina?" Beth's voice brought Sabrina out of her thoughts.

"Yeah. Just still surprised that you guys found me. Hey, there was a piano in the other room, why don't you go play it?"

Beth's face lit up as she got up from the kitchen table and went to the piano. She could hear Beth playing some kind of song and singing softly. Sabrina decided to go into that room, sit in a chair and listen to her sing. A few minutes past before someone cleared their throat, making the girls jump.

"The place is nailed up tight." Daryl said softly. "The only way in is through the front door." He said laying his crossbow on the fancy bench then hopping up in a casket.

"Daryl..." Sabrina said with uneasiness. There was just something about him laying in that thing that creeped her out.

"What are you doing?" Beth pitched in.

"This is the comfiest bed I've had in years."

"Really?" Beth and Sabrina said at the same time.

"I ain't kiddin'."

Sabrina's stomach started turning as her thoughts turned bad seeing Daryl laying there in the casket.

"Why don't ya go ahead 'nd play some more? Keep singin'."

"I thought my singing annoyed you."

"There ain't no jukebox, so..." Daryl tried to sound insulting.

"I think I'm going to head upstairs...starting to get tired."

"Alright. Night Sabrina." Beth smiled.

Sabrina forced a smile before leaving the room and walking up the steps slowly to the bedroom. She heard Beth start singing again as she flopped down on the bed with a sigh. Laying her head on the pillow facing the window she could hear the bedroom door being closed and someone shuffling around. Moments later part of the bed sank in then a arm snaked around her waist, puling her flush against a warm body.

"Ya have no idea how much I missed ya Sabrina."

In that moment, hearing Daryl's voice with a sincere tone, Sabrina turned around to face him.

"I missed you too." Sabrina said with a tearful voice, caressing his cheek.

"Don't cry Sabrina." He said softly letting his hand gently touch her face then let it run down her side.

Sabrina smiled, letting there lips touch in a soft kiss. As the moments past the kiss became more heated and needy. Daryl slowly sat up, bringing her with him and lifted her shirt up over her head. Tossing it aside, he unclasped her bra, tossing that aside to before slowly sinking them back onto the bed.

"Le' me show ya how much I missed ya." His gravely voice danced along Sabrina's ear.

Sabrina let out a soft moan feeling his lips slowly kiss over every inch of her body, worshiping her. That night, only the two of them existed as they let their bodies become one again, slowly and passionately.