‹ Prequel: The New World 3
Sequel: The New World 5
Status: Complete! S5 in the works

The New World 4

Ch.8

The next morning Sabrina stretched with a smile on her face. Her hand went to the Daryl was sleeping on but came in contact with the mattress. Judging by the temperature of yet, he didn't get up that long ago. Sighting, Sabrina got up and got dressed before making her way out of the bedroom. As she slowly made her way down the stairs she saw Beth limping and Daryl telling her to hurry up.

"I'm going as fast as I can."

"Forge' that."

Sabrina narrowed her eyes, biting her cheek when she saw Daryl pick Beth up bridal style and kick the kitchen door open. Hearing Beth let out a half flirty giggle she took a deep breath and thought rationally, Beth was hurt so she needed a bit of help to get around...but picking Beth up bridal style?! Sabrina was thinking about turning around and going back upstairs until she heard something trigger their alarm system. Daryl came out of the kitchen with his crossbow and slowly opened the door. Sabrina watched him as she made her way down the stairs with her emotionless face on.

"It's jus' a damn dog." He called out with annoyance.

Clenching her jaw she saw Beth come out of the kitchen to check out the scene. The two girls stood next to each other awkwardly as Daryl tried to pet the scraggly white dog. The dog ran off and Daryl huffed as he closed the door then turned around.

"He wouldn't come in?" Beth asked.

"Morning Sabrina." He said looking at his wife then his gaze went to Beth. "I told ya ta stay back."

"Yeah, but, Daryl, you said there was a dog."

"Maybe he'll come back 'round. C'mon." He said putting his hands on the girls' shoulder, leading them into the kitchen.

Their breakfast time was pretty quiet until Daryl spoke up.

"How'd ya sleep Shorty?"

"Fine."

Daryl gave her a questioning look and Sabrina just kept eating. Once she was done she excused herself from the table and went back upstairs. Closing the bedroom door, her eyes started welling up with tears as she fell onto the bed. How could she have been so blind, stupid and naive? All the signs were in front of her face that there was something going on between her husband and Beth. Sabrina curled up into a ball sobbing until she fell asleep. Hours later she felt a hand rubbing her back softly and a gentle voice came to hear ear.

"Shorty, wha's wrong? Why ya got an attitude? Wha's on yer mind?"

"I don't have one." She let out a sigh. "There's nothing on my mind."

Daryl knew she was lying but didn't want to push her further. "A'right. Ya comin' down fer dinner?"

"I will here in a second."

Daryl leaned over, kissing Sabrina's cheek before standing back up and leaving here alone. Sabrina collected her thoughts before finally sliding out of the warm comfortable bed. As she made her way back down the stairs she heard the dog again.

"The dog's back." She called out boredly.

Daryl came out of the kitchen with a jar of peanut butter and opened the door only to try to close it fast.

"Sabrina! Beth!"

Sabrina sprinted down the stairs with her heart racing in panic. Seeing Daryl's back leaning up against the door trying to keep the walkers out sent Sabrina's mind into panic mode. Beth tossed Daryl his crossbow and he started to yell for them to run. Sabrina pushed Beth to encourage her to run while Daryl took down a walker.

"Sabrina! Beth! Pry open a window! Ge' yer shit!"

"I'm not going to leave you." Beth called out as Sabrina grabbed everything and tried opening a window.

"Go out! Go up the road! I'll meet ya two there!"

Sabrina finally got a window open and was about to strike when she felt something grab a hold of her. Turning her head she saw Beth. "Come on." The two of them climbed out the window.

"Ok, let's go." Beth said.

"I know Daryl said run up the road but if we hide in the bushes, we'll be safe and close to him." Sabrina said grabbing Beth's hand.

Beth nodded, following Sabrina. "There." Sabrina pointed to a bush near a tree.

Tossing their things behind it first, Sabrina squatted down behind it. "Now when we see Daryl we call out to him and head his way. Got it?"

Turning her head she saw Beth was nowhere near her. "Beth?"

Looking out to the road Sabrina seen a car load Beth into it. Daryl's voice came quickly after the car peeled out. Shit! Sabrina jumped out of the bushes yelling for the car to stop as Daryl kept calling Beth's name. The two of them ran after the car as fast as they could yelling with only the moonlight to help them see where they were going. After hours and hours of running nonstop, morning had hit and the couple were out of breath with a fork in the road...literally. The two of them came across the railroad tracks.

"Shit." Sabrina panted out falling to the ground, trying to catch her breath. "Daryl, we're at a dead end now. We don't know which way."

Daryl stood there panting, looking at the road to the right and the road beyond the tracks. He finally collapsed next to her. A few moments went by before the two of them caught their breath. Sabrina stood up, walking away from Daryl, putting a few feet between them. She was still pissed that there was something going on between Daryl and Beth...or at least that's what her mind was telling her. Finally turning around to look at Daryl, she narrowed her eyes at him with a clenched jaw.

"So about Beth."

"Not righ' now Sabrina."

"So I was right all along!-"

"'Bout wha'?"

"What do you mean about what? You and Beth. You've been around her, alone, for almost a week! You two have been screwing each other! Haven't you?!"

"The hell ya talkin' 'bout?"

Sabrina growled angrily. "And you're still trying to deny it! What was the other night to you? 'Here let me screw my wife so she doesn't know that I'm now sleeping with Beth.' How could you?! I thought you said once you find the right person, you'd be with them forever! I can see that's a lie. What else have you been lying about?"

Daryl glared harshly at her. "Haven't been lyin' 'bout nothin'. Wha' makes ya think I've been sleepin' 'round with Beth?! 'Cause I haven't! While ya think I had an affair, the reality is we were lookin' for you 'nd the group!"

She scoffed. "Really? Then please explain to me why the air around you two's changed! It's more then a brother sister kind of air between you two! Her flirty giggles! The oogly eyes!"

"Tell me ya shittin' me righ'! Nothin' goin' on or will ever go on b'tween me 'nd her!"

"Why carry her like that then?! Bridal style! She could walk on her own. Hell she sure ran like her ankle wasn't ever injured!"

"Did the same thing with Carol-"

"That's because she was weak and dehydrated! Carol could barely walk. Beth was fully capable of walking!"

"I was jus' helpin' her ou'! She was movin' to damn slow!"

"Go around!"

"Well, lookit here." A strange man said, halting the couple's argument.

Looking around Daryl and Sabrina were were surrounded by six men, all with weapons. Sabrina quickly stood by Daryl as her husband threw a punch at the guy, knocking him flat on his back. The other five drew their weapons as Daryl stood up getting his crossbow and aiming it at the gray haired man.

"Dammit, hold up!" The guy said from the ground.

"I'm claiming the vest." A dark haired goateed scrawny one said. "I like them wings."

"Daryl." Sabrina said trying not to sound fearful as she stood closer to her husband.

"Hold up." The guy said again wiping his bloody nose and laughing.

The gray haired guy got up off the ground and that's when he triggered Sabrina's memory, these were the bastards that shot everyone on the bus. Retrieving her throwing knife from her pouch she heard a gun cock.

"Don't do anything irrational sweet cheeks." The balding guy on her right said.

"Everyone settle down. A bowman and a female knife wielder? I respect that...the bowman. See, a man with a rifle, he could have been some photographer or soccer coach back in the day. A bowman's a bowman through and through. What you got there, 150-pound draw weight? I'll be donkey-licked if that don't fire at least 300 feet per second. I've been looking for a weapon like that. Of course, I'd want one with a bit more ammo and minus the oblongata stains."

The dark haired scrawny goatee guy laughed a bit. "Get yourself in some kind of trouble, partner?"

"You're about to if you keep running that shitty mouth of yours." Sabrina snapped, gripping her knife more.

"Feisty."

"You pull that trigger, these boys are gonna drop you and your pretty lady several times over. That what you want?"

Sabrina looked over at Daryl because the gray haired guy did have a point. There was no way her and Daryl could take this guy down without getting the shit beat out of them by the five others.

"Come on, fella, suicide is stupid. Why hurt yourself and your ol' woman? When you can hurt other people."

Sabrina dropped her arms at her side, that comment made her skin crawl. She knew that the two of them just crossed paths with a really dangerous group and there was no way to get out.

"Name's Joe." The gray haired guy said.

"Daryl." He said finally letting his crossbow rest at his side. "And this is my wife." He said putting an arm around her waist, drawing Sabrina closer seeing the men's hungry eyes.

"And your name little lady?" Joe asked extra nicely.

She just stared at the creep, not saying anything until Daryl grapsed her side warningly. "Sabrina." She finally said.

The gang finally lowered their weapons as Joe held off a smirk as he nodded. Sabrina knew her and Daryl would have to really watch their backs with this group. Judging by their demeanor, they'd do anything to get what they wanted. She knew that the couple had to play by the rules or they'd never find out where everyone else was because they'd be killed by the group.