We Want You to Believe

Chapter 4

Scully

I’ve never been a big fan of parties. I mainly go because my friends drag me to them. They believe that “sex and booze are the key to your soul” or some bullshit along those lines. So that’s why I am standing in a random frat house’s kitchen listening to terrible rap music slowly sipping beer out of a tacky red solo cup trying to stay out of everyone else’s way.

“Dude Charlie! What is up man! Why are you just standing here? Go find some chicks!” Brian basically shouted as he stumbled over to me. Oh Jesus.

“Ugh…where’s Steve?” I asked as I pushed him off of me without hurting him.

“I don’t know. Last time I saw him he was shootin’ the breeze with some blonde chick in the other room.”

“I’m going to go. This is boring. There are better things I could be doing right now.”

“Come on man! Don’t go.”

“Bye.” I shouted back as I pushed through my fellow classmates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m glad I brought my jacket. I could feel the temperature dropping and the wind started to pick up. I was walking on the walkway towards my building when I heard hushed voices coming behind some trees where one of the hills we use to sled on is located. I stopped to listen more to make sure it wasn't just the wind playing tricks on me.

“I can’t believe Warren would rather stay and sulk in her room by herself than witness this!” A voice.

“I know right? Oh well, her loss, boys.” Another.

“Why was she upset anyway?” And another. All guys.

“I guess some jock asshole ‘accidently’ spilled his tray on her in the cafeteria and then his buddies made a huge scene about it.” The first voice said.

“Who was it?”

“Don’t know. She wouldn't say.”

I stepped through the trees to see three guys on the hill. One was standing examining a telescope, one was standing beside him, and the last guy was sitting on the ground on a blanket eating Oreos. I stepped on a stick and it cracked, echoing. “Who’s there?” The guy on the ground stood up. I came out of the trees with my hands up in a mock surrender. “Who are you?” One of the telescope guys asked me.

“Uh, my name’s Charlie. Sorry to bother you, I was on my way back to my room when I heard people talking and wanted to see what was going on. What are you guys doing anyway?”

“That’s none of your concern” And, “Looking for UFOs”, came out at the same time.

“What?” You’re looking for UFOs?” I said walking over to them.

“Uh, yes? Now if you excuse us, we have some research to do.”

“You can stay!” The ground guy said as I turned to leave. I looked back at them. “Oh what the hell…” I mumbled as I turned back around walking towards them.

We sat in silence for a few minutes staring up at the sky while eating Oreos. Frankie. Richard. John. Those were their names. Frankie was shorter than the other two guys. He wore light brown glasses and had short brown hair. Richard was the tallest of the three with shoulder length blonde hair (he actually made it work) and thick black glasses. John was more sophisticated than the others with brown hair he wore with a clean cut and a short beard/goatee. I examined their clothes. Frankie was wearing light wash jeans and a college sweatshirt with dark blue Converse. Richard was wearing some black t-shirt with some rock bands logo on it with dark wash jeans and black Converse. John was wearing a nice light blue button up shirt and dark wash jeans with black Converse as well. He looked like I did, like he was going to a party…but instead was looking for space ships in the sky.
“So…how long have you guys been doing this?”

“We usually do this every Friday, just the four of us.” Frankie said while eating an Oreo and drinking a Pepsi.

“Four?”

“Our friend, Warren, usually always comes with us but today she just didn’t feel up to it I guess.”

“Spooky Warren?”

“Yes, Spooky Warren.” Richard said laughing, though in good nature as he understood I meant no harm in that comment. I smiled back.

“So I take it you know her?” John asked me as he stood up to look through the telescope.

“Yeah, yeah you could say that.” I answered, then added: “You do realize aliens aren’t real right?” That did it. My chance at having normal, well, no. Not normal. More like not asshole friends was over.

“Aliens are real, Charlie.” Frankie pressed.

“No they’re not. There’s always a logical explanation to what you think you see. It’s always a satellite or a shooting star or a meteor.” No one said anything. I suddenly felt bad.

“So I take it you don’t want to believe, huh?”

“No. I don’t think I do.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the awkward silence, Richard started to talk about school and his classes, which turned into a non-heated discussion. But I could tell they were still upset about me not letting them explain their Alien theories. Then John noticed the time and said he had to work the next morning so we all decided to go our separate ways. After helping them pick up everything, I headed back in the direction I was originally going in. “Hey Charlie!” It was Frankie. “Do you mind if I walk with you? We live in the same building.”

“Yeah, sure.” I said as I stopped to let him catch up with me.

“So…you really don’t believe, huh?” He asked me while pushing his glasses up his nose.

“I guess not. It’s really nothing personal, I hope you and your friends understand that. I just see everything in a logical, scientific way I guess.”

“We know. We understand. Warren on the other hand…I don’t know if she’ll be so understanding.”

“What’s the deal with her anyway? Is she always so nasty?” I asked him, being serious. He just laughed. “No, she’s only like that to the people she likes.” Spooky Warren likes me. “To answer your mental question, yes, she must like you.” I smirked at him and he returned with a smile. As we entered the building, I realized he never left my side until we got to my floor. “Hey Frankie, see you around man.” I said clapping him on the shoulder.

“Yeah, sure thing Charlie.” As I opened my door, he asked me, “Hey Charlie, do you think you would want to join us again next week? It’s okay that you don’t believe, we still think you’re cool. But I mean, if you have other plans or any parties or anything then you don’t have to…like you can say no…”

“Frankie, I accept your invitation.”

“Really? Awesome! Okay, well see you around then.” He said smiling as he walked away. As he walked down my hallway towards the other staircase, some guys walked past him laughing. “Dude, he’s such a freak. Did you know that he and his two boyfriends sit outside all night and watch for fucking aliens and shit?” More laughter.

It’s time for a change.