We Want You to Believe

Chapter 6

Scully

“She’s so beautiful…” Richard. Shut. Up. “Just ask her out already.” I said to him as we walked towards the dorms. My next class wasn’t until 4. “Why would she go out with a guy like me?” He stopped in his tracks.

“What do you mean?” I stopped too. He rubbed the back of his neck, “Y’know…a loser.”

“Dude, you’re not a loser. If you were a loser, why would I be standing here having this conversation with you?”

“Well you have no other friends now since you decided to hang out with us so where else would you be?”

“Huh, guess you’re right. You really are a loser.” He smiled and waved telling me he’d see me later as he went towards his building.

I had 2 hours before my class, so I decided to give Aunt Dana a call. She picked up on the second ring. “Hey honey.”

“Hey. Are you busy?”

“No, no. Why? Are you okay?” She sounded nervous. “Yeah, yeah I’m fine. I just called to say hi…it’s been a while.”

“I know. I’ve just been really busy with work and everything. So, how’s school? How are your friends?”

“Eh, school’s good. Honestly, I don’t know. I haven’t really talked to them in a while. I kind of started hanging out with this new group of guys.” I described each of them and talked about their UFO conspiracies. I never actually realized how crazy they sounded until I said it out loud to someone else. “Wow.”

“I know right?” I laughed, “They’re honestly the coolest people I’ve ever met.”

“They sound like some old friends of mine.” She said on the phone sounding sad, “Well, I’m glad you have some new guys to hang around…but what about the ladies, huh?”

“Uh…about that…”

“My little Charles has a girlfriend?? Tell me everything about her! What’s her name? What’s her major? What does she look like?” I could hear her practically gushing through the phone. I didn’t know what to say or where to start… “Well, first off, she’s not my girlfriend. We’re friends. Her name is Warren, I mean Elizabeth, but she prefers to be called Warren, which is her last name. She’s majoring in Psychology. She’s so beautiful…”

“Aww! My baby’s in love!!” My Aunt gushed. Dear Lord. “No, no! I am not in love!!” I could hear someone asking for her on the other side of the phone, then her voice telling me she had to go, she loved me, and that the next time she visited she “just had to meet this Warren girl”.

Later that night, as I lay in bed attempting to sleep, Steve grilled me about my new pals, trying to get a rile out of me. “When was the last time that dude cut his hair anyway?” He asked referring to Richard. “That dude has a name, and it’s Richard. He actually gets his hair cut often, he just prefers to keep it longer.”

“And what’s with the shorter one, Frankie, is that it? Is he gay? Are they all gay?”

“No. Frankie is not gay. John is not gay. Richard likes Jillian. Just stop.” I rolled over off my back and faced the wall, away from Steve. “Richard Louis thinks he can get with Jillian Moore? That’s hilarious.”

“You’re just jealous because she never gave you the time of day, like she is to him.” He was silent and I closed my eyes thinking it was time to sleep. “Speaking of giving the time of day…” I groaned loudly. Guess not. “What’s the deal with you and Freakshow?” I rolled back over onto my back.
“Excuse you. Don’t talk about her like that.”

“Are you just pretending to like them so you can fuck her? Because I wouldn’t blame you for doing that, I would totally understand and accept this weird phase you’re going through. She’d be fun now that I think about it…”

“Steve…” I could feel the anger growing inside me.

“What? I mean, yeah she isn’t the skinniest girl in our class but that’s not bad. Her ass is fat and she’s got big tits…ALSO she seems like she’d be into some weird shit.” He said laughing. That’s it. I pulled my pillow out from underneath my head and jumped out of bed. I ran over to Steve and started beating him with my pillow. He wasn’t quick enough to retaliate, so I jumped on top of him and started to beat his face with it. He kicked me off him and onto the floor and I took him down with me. “You psychopath!” He yelled. “Dude shut the fuck up! We don’t need to wake anyone up!” I loudly whispered. We just sat there and glared at each other. He bitch-slapped me. Hard. “That was for trying to suffocate me.”

“I would never intentionally do such a thing. I’m going to medical school, I could’ve saved you, you moron. And besides, suffocating you would be nothing compared to what Freakshow would’ve done to you if she heard you say those things. She’s fucking tough. I also happen to find her beautiful and intelligent and everything else that you would want in a woman.” He went to speak but I cut him off, “And as for my new friends, they’re fucking awesome but no one would know because no one takes the chance to talk to them and know them. So what they’re weird? Who cares! We’re 20 years old for Christ sake! You’d think people would be grown up by now to stop judging people.” No one spoke was seemed like an hour.

“Charlie…I’m so sorry. I had no idea. I just assumed the worst, yanno?”

“No you didn’t. You just assumed I’d be doing what you are Brian would be doing.”

“No! I’m serious! Your friends, I’m sure they’re amazing guys, really! And as for Elizabeth…God it sounds so weird to say her name…if you really like her like you just showed me, then that’s great too. She’d be lucky to have you, man. I really am sorry.” I have never in the last 3 years seen Steve look more sincere than he did right now.

“It’s okay. Thank you for finally understanding.” I said as I stood up with my pillow. I held out my hand for him to get up. We both got back into bed. The negative tension was now gone. “Charlie, can you just do me one favor though?”

“What?”

“When you finally get to tap that ass, tell me how it goes, okay?” He asked laughing.

“Okay, fine. Deal. Now shut the fuck up and go to sleep.”

I woke up to the sound of someone knocking on my door. For a minute, I panicked thinking I slept through a class, until I realized it was Saturday. I also saw that it was only 9:17 in the morning. Steve yelled at me to go get it. I rolled out of bed and walked over to my door. I ripped it open and saw Spooky Warren standing there with a smug look on her face. “Now I know how creepy it looked when I arrived at your place unannounced. What do you want? Do you know what time it is?”

“Time for you to wake up.” She said as she looked me up and down, taking in my bed-head and plaid pajama pants.

“Who the hell is it?” Steve grumbled from inside the room. Warren pushed past me and walked into the room saying, “Your worst nightmare. Come on, Scully, get ready. Richard and Jillian are waiting.”

“Waiting for what?”

“They want to go out to breakfast, and the only way for them to go on a date is if we go with them.” She said as she sprawled out on my bed. She stretched out and I could see her lower stomach. I tried not to look. “What do I have to wear?”

“Nothing special, just like jeans and a sweatshirt or something. It’s kinda cold out.” I noticed she was just wearing yoga pants and a sweatshirt. I grabbed some clothes and my shower stuff and left to get ready. For a minute I was afraid of leaving Warren alone with Steve for a couple minutes, but then I realized that Warren could handle herself.

15 minutes later we were walking towards the elevator to leave. Warren was walking in front of me rambling on about how she thinks it’s ridiculous that we have to go with them. I never really looked at her with the perspective Steve and now that this is probably the only chance I’ll have seeing her in yoga pants, I decided now would be the time. “Scully? Hello?” She said to me. “Huh? What?” I said looking up expecting to look at the back of her head but instead looked into her eyes that looked like they killed me 20 times over. “What!” I said pretending to be confused, “I didn’t know you were talking to me…”

“You’re an idiot, they’re waiting. Let’s go.”