Status: ***3/12/15-- Playing with the layout... hmmm.... any thoughts?***

Diamonds and Nicotine

On the Clock

There was no more tantalizing melody of the Libertango in the oddly still air, the temperature cold and lifeless in comparison to the heated dance floor. There was only silence, and a lingering scent of an expensive fragrance that lightly perfumed the air.

Slowly, the heavy sluggish weight lifted from Noir’s body, but she made no motion to move or even open her eyes. Her knowledge of her current setting was limited; the only thing she was sure of was that she had been laid down on a soft surface---her guess a cot of some sort. She was cautious in the new unknown environment, her body tense and on high alert. Perhaps that was why she reacted spontaneously when she felt something cold brush against the side of her neck.

Reflexes kicked up in high gear, Noir’s eyes snapped open and her left arm swung through the air in a sideways swiping motion. Her wrist made contact with the thing that was touching her neck and she grabbed hold of it as she pulled herself off her side. Without a moment of hesitation, she twisted around, pulling her assailant down. He let out a grunt as his back hit the cot but he had no time to react. In an instant Noir was on him, trapping his body underneath hers as one hand pinning him by his throat, the other ready to give the final strike---

“Easy there, Noir.” her assailant grunted, holding his arm up in surrender. “I’m not armed.”

Noir stared down at him, her brain slowly catching up. Ace stared back, not moving a single inch. In his hand was a wet towel.
It didn’t take long for her to connect the dots from there and slowly and with slight reluctance she released the grip around his throat. Ace let out a low breath, relaxing a bit before he raised an eyebrow.
“Care to get off of me?” he asked.

Without a word, Noir pulled away, lifting herself off of his body. Cautiously she stepped onto the floor, trying to regain her secure footing.

“I mean normally, I would indulge but time is of the essence, as they say.” Ace continued. He let out a dramatic sigh. “It’s a real shame that you’re on the job, isn’t it?”

Noir said nothing, but she did shoot him a glare before scooping up her stilettos from the floor. Quickly she slipped them on before finally speaking.
“My things?” she asked.

“They’re on the desk, over there.” Ace replied, propping himself onto his elbow on the cot.

Noir turned to where he was motioning---and paused. Sure enough, both her clutch and masquerade mask was there, but it was hard to miss the bodies of two uniformed men that were sprawled on the floor by the doorway.
“What did you do?” Noir demanded, wheeling around to stare at the mercenary on the cot. Ace shrugged, not making a motion to get up.

“They were getting all…inquisitive.” he said. “They got on my nerves so, I shut them up.”

Noir turned back to the still bodies on the floor and knelt by the men, watching for any signs of life. Her eyes narrowed when she saw blood caked into one of the men’s hair.

“Don’t worry, I didn’t kill them.” she heard Ace sigh from behind her. “They’re just taking a little cat nap.”

Noir bit back a hiss in frustration and turned back to the unconscious men. Was this going to make more complications for her? It was already bad enough she got herself tangled with the mercenary and his vague business and she doubted he would let his guard down to allow her even a chance to get out of the deal. Her mind whirled, playing out several scenarios and plotting her course of actions.
No, she wasn’t going to let this mercenary make trouble for her. She was going to do whatever she had to, to get out. She still had many names in her long list and she would be damned if she let one arrogant nuisance get in her way.

She didn’t say anything as she reached over to one of the men and dug through his uniform's pockets. Her search didn’t last long as she quickly found what she needed.
Ace just watched from the cot as the thief gathered her things and straightened back into a stand.

“What time is it?” she asked, as she fixed her hair.

“Eleven-twenty two, to be precise.” came the answer. “Sorry to say you have less than an hour with your little nap and all.”

Noir hummed just as she finished straightening her appearance and composure. Ace finally got up from the cot and walked over to where she stood.

“Remember; midnight, for a thirty-minute window the security system needs to be down.” he said. “If it doesn’t happen, I’ll be forced to come after you.”

“No need,” Noir said. She tucked the clutch and her mask under her arm. “It will be done.”

With that, she stepped over the bodies on the floor and headed to the door.

“Whoa now, wait just a minute.” Ace called out, halting Noir at the door. “It would be improper if I don’t escort you out and give you a grand tour of the place.”
“You can’t be serious,” Noir huffed out incredulously. “I can’t do this job with you tailing me around.”
“And I can’t just blindly trust you would honor this agreement, can I, thief.” he returned coolly, coming to a stand.

Noir scoffed and clicked her tongue against her teeth. “You don’t trust me? Then I guess you’re smarter than I gave you credit.”
“You know what they say. There is no honor amongst thieves.” he said.
Before Noir could think up a clever response, he was standing by her side. He offered her an elbow and gave her a cold steeled look.

“Let’s go, you’re on a clock.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no excuse.... just lots of self-loathing. But here is a long-overdue chapter. I'm sorry it's not much.

I recently come to realized that I almost kinda dislike what I wrote in my earlier chapters of my other stories. IDK why... I think now that I read back there were some unnecessary things in there. I think part of it was me trying to be extra cheesy and "meaty" with the drama level--- mimicking the Asian tv drama style...

I think eventually I will rewrite it all but for now, I think Imma gonna focus on FINISHING a damned story. Cripes.