Status: ***3/12/15-- Playing with the layout... hmmm.... any thoughts?***

Diamonds and Nicotine

Companion in Black

“I do, for your sake that everything is in order.” Vivienne Valerio sighed, taking a long drag from her cigarette.

When the small thief didn’t reply, she clicked her tongue against her teeth in irritation. She reached across the limousine cabin to the small cooler and examined the selection of fine champagne and scotch that were displayed with a look of distaste.
“What a collection of utter rubbish this is,” she muttered to herself, settling by grabbing the closest bottle of the 90 proof devil’s cut bourbon. She poured the dark liquid over ice in a small cylindrical crystal glass before leaning back into her seat. She took a leisurely sip as she glanced over at her companion for the night.

Mademoiselle Noir sat in the seat farthest back of the limousine, her eyes turned to the passing scenery outside of the window with a calm, almost dull expression. Her thin and lean figure was accentuated by a simple black chiffon high-low slender gown that showcased her legs and lethal stilettos, the delicate fabric falling soft against her smooth, creamy pale skin. In her hands resting in her lap was a simple masquerade mask, black to match the gown with gold accents and details. Outside of the simple dark studs in her earlobes, that was all that she had to accessorize she had; no string of diamonds or chain of precious metal was draped around her neck, which to Vivienne’s dismay only added to the simplistic beauty as it gave her an elegant line of a prim and proper lady.

Vivienne scowled, and washed away the burning irritation with a long sip of bourbon.
That cunning bitch, she thought with venom in her mind.

It was Vivienne herself that had limited her choices in the dresses the thief could wear for the night, all of which had been cheaper than her own attire and hung dull and lifelessly on the hanger. It would be a shame if the younger companion of the great Madame Vivienne Valerio stood out more than her boss.
But then there she comes to their agreed rendezvous location in the simple black number, cleaned up with a look that was ready to stop the crowd. It was much more than what the proud Vivienne could bring herself to admit, and far too much for her pride to take in.

Vivienne continued to glare at the thief, looking for anything in her appearance that would knock the child back down to her proper place.
That was when she noticed a slight tremor in the girl’s hand as she held her masquerade mask.

Mademoiselle breathed out cautiously and she closed her eyes as she curled her right hand into a tight fist and yet the tremor remained.

Valerio watched her for another few moments before allowing a smile to pull at the corner of her lips.
“You seem a little tense, Mademoiselle Noir.” she noted casually before taking another drag from the cigarette. “It couldn’t possibly be that you are feeling nervous about tonight. I am counting on you to be on your best behavior.”

She paused, watching the thief as a vexed look came across her features. Silently, Noir pushed a button on the door and the window slowly rolled down, letting in the cool night air. The tremors in her fingers were not ceasing.

Vivienne scoffed, shaking her head but a small smirk was starting to bloom on her lips. The toxins were taking effect faster than she had anticipated.
“You can’t be serious,” she muttered, loud enough for the girl to be able to hear. “Already showing deterioration? And here I thought Mademoiselle Noir was a professional…”

Noir finally turned her gaze back to her employer and while the serene mask remained, Valerio noticed a hint of dark edge in her eyes.

“Don’t worry, everything is going exactly as planned.”

Her tone and words chilled Vivienne like stone, an influence she immediately hated. She let out a hum, recovering with a long drag from her cigarette.

“It best be,” she snapped. She pulled in yet another long pull of smoke into her lungs before exhaling harshly. “I want the switch made and LeBlanc’s collection in my vault by midnight, as arranged.”

“Twenty-four pieces of hand-crafted precious stones, a specialty-grade assortment of jewels that makes up the whole Infinity Collection; take them and make the swap” Mademoiselle Noir said in a calm tone, almost sounding bored. “Though I find it a total waste of time and energy on my part to switch the stone with lumps of coal,”

Vivienne scoffed, taking a sip of her bourbon.
“It may be for you but it sure is entertaining for myself.” she said. “Do you need it be reminded that you don’t have the liberty to make an input on what is a waste of energy and time?”

The thief clicked her tongue against her teeth, a small flash of irritation creeping into her features.
“Either way, everything is arranged, just the way you want it.” she said. “But I’m curious as to what kind of symbolism you have attached to a deliberate action like this.”

Valerio couldn’t help the excited smile that pulled at her cheeks, making her bare her white teeth.
"He can make anything beautiful.” she sneered. “His pride rests on that paltry family motto of his ancestors and what not.”
Anticipation to see his face when he made the discovery made her itch with thrill.
“In that case, let him take the coal and turn that into a timeless collection. Hell, if we pressure him enough maybe he will turn into a diamond himself!" Valerio laughs haughtily and stares at Noir. "In that case I shall cut him myself, with my signature design."

Noir returned her stare, though her eyes remained calm and distantly cold. As Vivienne Valerio returned to her dark and plotting thoughts of the events to come, the young thief girl scowled.

“We’ll see about that.” she muttered under her breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
AND HAPPY MONDAY!!

So for like once in my life I updated on time, as I promised. This is a monumental moment, people. Take note...

Hah, I obviously kid but yay!! Another update!! I know, I know, it's rather short for me but I thought this was a good place to cut a chapter. But I don't really know what to title this chapter...grr, I'll just bullshit something.

One thing I am worried about is that POV in the story. It's all told in third person, but it does jump the viewpoints of the story. The time flow is uniform though...let me know if anything gets confusing! I'll try to fix it.