Status: ***3/12/15-- Playing with the layout... hmmm.... any thoughts?***

Diamonds and Nicotine

The Brilliance in Black

The sun had long since had set, and the air had settled to a soft cool. A light breeze passed through in hushed touches as if to be announcing the close of daylight in its soft whispers across the cast field and through trees. And just beyond the woods rested the glorious view, that was Château du Pierrefonds.
Lit lanterns were strung high above the wide courtyard that was modified into a ballroom, the delicate glow adding warmth to the already festive air. The lights, the jovial and radiant mood spilled out from the arch as a white limousine pulled up to the front gates and came to a stop.

The driver side door opened sharply, and out exited a sharply uniformed chauffeur. He quickly adjusted his tie and hat as he rounded the tail end of the vehicle and to the passenger door. Folding his right arm behind his lower back and keeping his gaze low, he reached over to the door handle and pulled the door open.
Without a moment to waste, a disgruntled huff rang from the cabin.
“Are you going to offer a lady your hand, you imbécile?”

Without a word, the young chauffeur bowed his head in silent apology and offered his gloved hand forward.
Another scoff sounded from the within the limo as a hand clad in bulky diamond rings curled around his hand.
“Seriously, boy, where did you get your certification?” Vivienne Valerio hissed, teeth bared in a mock smile under her masquerade mask as cameras started to flash and click away at the arrival of the famous jeweler.

The chauffeur bowed his head lower.
“My deepest apologies, Madame.” was all he said, knowing one wrong tone could cost him his job.
Valerio clicked her tongue against her teeth as she straightened her posture and looked down at him through her diamond and crystal-dripped mask.
“Oh, I’m sure. To think I am paying for your service is appalling,” she continued to berate him. “I know city taxi drivers that can drive better and faster than you.”

“I pray you would pardon my ineptitude, Madame.” he said.

Vivienne hummed, looking at her chauffeur over with a smirk.
“Remind me why I still keep you around,” she said.

Confused and cautious, the chauffeur lifted his gaze up to his employer.
“Madame?” he questioned hesitantly.

Vivienne’s smirk grew, tilting her head to her side.
“Ah, that’s right, you are the cute young thing I hired last spring.” she said, as if she didn’t know who he was. “Now tell me, how do I look tonight?”

The young chauffeur looked at the jeweler and blinked, before quickly taking in her appearance.
His employer had donned the most expensive looking attire for this ball---a slim but flowing gown of a gold champagne color hugged her rather thin frame and complimented her lightly tanned skin. The dress itself was not shy of accents; drop-shaped beading and crystals were littered across the delicate looking fabric in designs that matched her Venetian-styled mask topped with a peacock feather above her right eye. And from what he could see through the mask, the make-up was done to compliment and frame her hazel eyes.
Gaudy, was the first thing that came to mind but he quickly swallowed it down before it came out.

“You are a marvel sighting; most brilliant tonight, I’m sure.” he amended.

Despite the compliment, Vivienne frowned.
“Sure what?” she prompted.

The chauffeur quickly caught himself.
“I am sure, Madame,” he corrected.

The bright smile returned to Valerio’s face and she finally released his hand.
“Good.” she said. “We’ll be outside for you to pick up around 2 AM.”
With that, she walked away, the flashing of camera’s following her steps.

We? the chauffeur thought in confusion.

He wasn’t the one that had opened the door for his employer when he went over to her mansion to pick her up; it had been her doorman. That was an order by Vivienne Valerio herself, as she was in a hurry to get on the way. He hadn’t heard about another passenger…perhaps it was her date?

Just as he turned to look into the cabin to check for the other passenger, a thin, slender leg slipped out from the limousine followed by another, the deadly stiletto heels meeting the stone ground with a sound and clean click.
A woman? he thought, confused even more.

Suddenly, someone cleared their throat, gently bringing the chauffeur back to reality. He blinked, thrown off guard. He trailed his eyes up the slender leg…to see a girl looking right back at him, her amusement on display in her eyes and dark-plum and gold painted lips. The mask she held to her face was black and edgy, with gold stones and chains that accented the frame around her eyes and mask. Her eye makeup was the most striking---simple, yet bold and smoldering that brought out the rich brown in her iris.

“Could you lend me a hand, Monsieur Pierre?” she asked, her voice smooth.

Pierre blinked at her, and finally realized he had been staring. He blushed, quickly bowed and muttered a quick apology as he removed his glove and offered his palm. She flashed him a genuine smile and took his hand, slowly pulling herself out into the light. Her grip was soft, her skin cool to the touch.

Pierre sucked in a breath, stunned yet again at the sight before him. He quickly realized he had spoken too soon with Madame Valerio, when he called her the most brilliant.

Black on pale skin, the dress this mystery woman wore was alluring as it embraced her lean frame. The strapless number was simple in accents as it lacked any stones and jewels but the design was intricate with the dark, slightly shimmery chiffon fabric forming a bodice with small intertwining pleats that folded over one another. The pleats stopped at her hips and switched into a flowing, feathery gown, the skirt showing off her legs with the high-low design.
Her hair was up in clean up-do that looked to be airy and relaxed but sophisticated and mature. And on her ears were her only accessory she had on her--- dark silver round studs, contrasting with her golden mask and hints in her makeup.

Merci beaucoup,” she thanked. She then nodded pointed forward, glancing in the direction Valerio had sauntered off. “You don’t have to deal with that, you know.”

“With what?” the chauffeur asked.
But then he realized something.
“Uh…how do you know my name?” he asked.

The mystery woman shrugged lightly.
“That’s not an impressive feat at all.” she replied, smiling. “I also know that you’re a hard worker and the only reason why you stay with this job is the worker’s benefits Vivienne provides you as her employee.”

Pierre was speechless, stunned at her blunt words. But she went on.

“But of course, that’s no surprise, with your mother in the hospital frequently and even with the generous pay and benefits, you’re still scraping by.”

Pierre gulped, his skin suddenly chilled. He bowed his head and closed the limousine door before turning back to her.
“How…do you know about my mother?” he questioned under his breath.

The woman frowned and lowered her mask. She was indeed beautiful, but there was a glint in her eye that put Pierre on the edge like never before. He watched as she folded the handle of her mask and tucked it into her clutch before she stepped forward.
“I know a lot of things, Monsieur Pierre.” she said, meeting his hushed tones. She reached over to the frozen driver and took a hold of his tie. He nearly flinched but quickly realized that she was just adjusting it.
“I also know that your duties are not bound strictly to what was written in your employee’s contract with Valerio.” she spoke discretely, her lips barely moving. “In fact, there are only a few things that come to mind that would require a handsome young driver to report to the Valerio master bedroom in the ungodly hours of the night…”

He did flinch at her words as it stung like ice daggers in his chest. He was sure he was sweating now.
“H—How? Why do you know…” he then stopped, closed his eyes and let out a shaking breath, his head hanging low. “Please, what do you want? No one must know.”

The woman gave him a look as she tightened the knot.
“I don’t want anything.” she told him. “But I am wondering if you were given an option to get out of the contract, would you take that chance?”

Pierre’s mind soared with possibilities of that thought, thinking of his life being free from the burden of his own guilty conscience and degraded self-worth. To be free of the dread that fills him with every drunken call in the middle of the night that comes without warning. Of course he wanted out; he knew this wasn’t right…

But then he pictured his mother, lying in the hospital bed completely reliant on him, the only person she had left.

Pierre silenced his true feelings and let the thought of freedom die.
“No, I wouldn’t.” he said. “Madame Valerio is generous, I am lucky to be under her employment.”

The woman gazed at him, her expression calm but also unreadable.
“Hmm,” she said. “That's what I thought you would say.”

She finished straightening out his tie and lightly swept the top of his shoulders to straighten out his uniform.
“Here; all done.” she announced. “Now that’s much better.”
She smiled, patting the lapel of his jacket.
Then, without a warning, she stepped forward even closer and gave him a light kiss on the cheek.
“For the record, I was never here and you never saw me.” she whispered into his ear.
She then pulled away, still smiling.
“Thanks for the ride,” she said.

She walked away, leaving a very stunned and utterly confused Pierre behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not sure what to name this chapter currently...hopefully I'll have one by the time I finish writing the author's note. =/

Poor Pierre...being used by Valerio. She's just an evil, evil thing, isn't she?!?!
But whatever. Noir is looking HOT. She has brought her A-Game and she's dominating!! She's going to need it because it's going to be LEGEN--wait for it---DARY!!! (sorry, I have been watching a lot of HIMYM recently...)

And why do I feel like Noir is plotting something?!?!
Gah, fudge it. I will add a random title!! If you have something that you think would work better for this chapter, let me know!!
Also, if you want to leave a comment, it would help me loads. Be honest; that's the only way I could improve!

Thanks for reading~!!