Sea Changes

the beach

"One year." I thought to myself. "It's been one year."

We arrived to Wells this morning, and the first thing I did was to walk to the beach where I'd met Riker last summer. I sat down, leaning myself on a tree, and I remembered last summer.

I thought about the good memories, but also the bad and hurtful memories. The memories brought tears to my eyes and I let them fall.

I had really loved Riker, and I still loved him, I realized. I hadn't loved the Riker I saw at the pub, but the one on the beach, my Riker.

I heard a movement behind me and I stood up and turned around.

I stopped breathing, my heart skipped a beat. It was him.

He hadn't changed much since last summer, he was a bit more muscular, a bit more mature-looking, but other then that, he looked almost the same.

I took a step towards him, towards Riker, but I hesitated. What if he didn't recognize me? Or what if he didn't even remember me?

He looked at me with his big, brown, breathtaking eyes for what felt like an eternity, and I waited nervously and hopelessly for his reaction.

"Sam?" he whispered.

Before I could stop myself, I threw myself into his arms.

"I've missed you so much, Sam!" Riker whispered in my ear. "I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. I thought I'd never see you again, I thought I'd lost you forever."

"You'll have me forever and not a day less!" I said and kissed him.