New Blood

Introduction

Walking into work late, Evelyn ran behind the counters and grabbed her white apron detailed with lilac designs. Evelyn quickly tied her hair back into a ponytail at the top of her head and finished off with tightening it. Evelyn nervously began taking orders. She somehow managed to get an hour’s worth of orders of oatmeal raisin cookies and sticky honey buns without getting caught for being late. Evelyn’s coworker, Michelle, sneaked up from behind Evelyn and breathed warm air into Evelyn’s ear. Evelyn shot up, surprised.

“You know, I noticed you were late.” Michelle grinned, pulling away from Evelyn.

“I overslept.” Evelyn said, continuing to keep her smile glued to her face. Nervously, she took another order, writing it down a small sheet of lined yellow paper. The order was written out messily from her hand shaking from being so high-strung.

“It’s fine. I won’t tell the boss, I don’t even know where he is.” Michelle said, standing next to Evelyn’s side. Michelle started taking orders. After calling for the baker a few times, Evelyn walked to the back looking around for the person with a toque-covered head. Evelyn couldn’t find the baker so she grabbed a few cookies off of the trays with a pair of tongs and put them into a small plastic bag covered with the bakery’s logo. Evelyn walked back to the counter and handed the order to the customer.

“I’m going to look for boss.” Evelyn whispered, leaning towards Michelle. Evelyn backed away from Michelle’s ear and walked to the back. She looked everywhere, in the kitchen, in the bathroom, and even behind the bakery. He was nowhere to be found. Evelyn stood outside and looked around. Suddenly, she noticed something sticking out from underneath the dumpster. She crawled down onto her knees and looked under the dumpster. There was a foot sticking out, she grabbed the foot and began pulling it. It was quite heavy and it smelled like road kill. Evelyn looked down at the body and immediately screamed as loud as she could. It was her gut reaction to finding her boss dead.