Status: This is a trial story: If there isn't a lot of interest shown or feedback given, I won't continue to write it.

Almost Easy

Prolouge

A wide, dark window provided a full view of the interrogation room to anybody on the outside of it. From the inside, you feel trapped. There was no knowing who was on the other side, if it's detectives or the man who arrested you or a state doctor waiting to evaluate you. You were in the dark, just as this young woman is.

She was brought in by officer Zack Baker, a man who has served his city for five years now. They called him in and told him he needed to go arrest this woman. She seemed innocent enough when she answered the door, so he couldn't imagine the full extent of her crime. Zacks' superiors didn't tell him anything, just said he needed to bring her in without a question asked.

The woman didn't fight back once. She allowed him to put her in hand cuffs the second he showed her the warrant, quietly complying to everything he said without a word. All she did was stare up at him with her wide, hypnotizing blue eyes as if she was waiting for something. Maybe someone to come save her.

Zack would have saved her if he could. Who wouldn't want to save a beautiful young woman when all you have in your life is an old dog who probably won't live much longer? Her hair looked like silk, flawlessly straight and down to the very bottom of her lower back. It framed her face like a halo, shining bright in the sun. Her skin appeared soft and well taken care of, her nose delicate and lips full. She seemed so familiar.

“Please state your name,” The detective told the woman, Zack focusing back in on the room.

“Marina,” She spoke softly, her voice musical.

“Your full name,” He clarified.

“Marina Lilac Sullivan,” She looked up at him carefully, studying his face.

“Do you know why you're here, Miss Sullivan?” He asks, looking in her files.

“I manipulate people to do what I want.” She confesses, watching him nod slowly.

“So it says. How?” He allows, shutting the yellow envelope.

“With my mind.”

~\~\~\~\

Marina Lilac Sullivan hasn't seen her brother in years. He stayed distant, claiming there was a reason for her adoption that she has yet to find out. That had always hurt her feelings as a teenager. She could never understand why her parents chose to give her away and keep her twin brother. What really got her, though, was Jimmy always throwing that information in her face. What made it even worse? It was her second cousin who took her in.

For a while, Marina liked to believe that her parents gave her to Janet and her husband Phil because they were in their twenties. Her parents were only seventeen when they had twins, so it had made sense that they could keep one and not the other. Why give Marina away to someone in the family, though? At first, she recognized that Janet couldn't have children, so Marina was acting as their daughter. But later on in her life, Marina realized her parents wanted to keep a close eye on her.

Of course, like almost every adopted child, Marina hadn't even known. It was mystery to her why her “parents” and her shared no traits. They didn't have the same hair color, face shape, personality, or even skin color. Her blond hair and blue eyes was a stark contrastion to the dark eyes and tanned skin of who she believed gave her life. It wasn't until high school when she ran into Jimmy that his stupid friends told her the truth.

She was adopted. When Matt, Jimmy's best friend, blurted that out (he didn't know it was a secret to her, it really was an honest mistake) she felt betrayed. Her whole family lied to her for fourteen years and no one was offering an explanation as to why. It was always dismissed.

Her brother was the only one who'd offer information. Every time she pestered him it was the same thing. They gave you away for a reason, you'll understand soon enough. She hated hearing that, and he knew it. So, Jimmy used to tell her if she didn't want to hear the truth, then she shouldn't keep asking for it. That statement was the only straight thing anyone had ever told her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! The first part to this story that's been nagging me for days! I really hope you guys enjoy it.

Feedback? ^-^