Red Velvet

Chapter 1

Body twirling, I laughed throwing my head back. The hands on my waist spun and spun, a never ending kaleidoscope of colors flashed past my eyes. While my head urged for me to shut them, I stayed strong, watching as the world appeared to revolve around me.

I felt like the center. The sun. Nothing could shine brighter than me.

My golden dress spilled to the marbled floor only heightening my radiance and happiness. The hands clasped my hips tightly. No more spinning, but I was whirled around. Two searing amethysts glared down at me. One hand traveled up my side, pressing on my stomach enjoying the feel of my skin sinking beneath his strength, then it continued up my sternum. A moan escaped my lips as that experienced hand made sure to travel between my breasts.

His fingers cupped the back of my head more gently than any other touch he'd ever given me, then, he tilted my head aside, exposing my neck.

"Sometimes your beauty impresses me." He said, deeply fascinated and also amused. "If I didn't know any better..."

I already knew what came next. He didn't need to finish.

I was more interested on how his fingers traced the rhythmic pulsing of my veins.

"Daimon," I whispered, eyes falling between us. My body went from relaxed to barbed-wire. "Either take it or not. Have you seen the time?" I held my wrist up so he could see what I meant. "Did you know it was this late? Honestly, I can't be late to school! I have my Bio presentation today."

Daimon's laziness shifted to coiled annoyance. He blew out a short, huffed breath.

"Don't rush me, Princess. You know how I feel about being rushed." Oh, I did. Not that I cared.

"Fine then. If you're just going to stand there, I'm going to get changed, excuse me." I declared with a high chin. I picked up the skirt of the contemporary dress and marched off the terrace. "Ah!"

My back smacked into Daimon's front. No matter how many times we were this close I would never stop being surprised. I'd never felt something so strong and alive. His skin wasn't freakishly pale, just a perfect balance between fair and olive. But his skin wasn't the most impressive. There were also his eyes...

The ones I couldn't see at this moment but could feel.

"I really don't see why you like doing this." His breath bounced over my neck, I shivered. "I prefer you in normal clothes. Not all period-looking."

"You said this dress made me look like a princess. Did you lie?"

"Now, Scarlett, you know I don't lie about important things." Daimon's lips left a hot trail in their wake. Muscles cramped in a delicious way as his palm rubbed the small of my back. I dug my nails in his jeans. He growled lowly. "If I didn't know any better," his grip on my blond hair grew strong. "I would think you like me rough."

"I like you powerful." I breathed in a voice I didn't recognize.

"Oh, baby," he murmured with dark glee. "That's why I picked you out of all those little idiots. They're all screams and complaints. I had to wipe their memory every time I fed."

"Hmm," I glimpsed at his dark waves brushing my cheek. "As long as you don't forget our agreement..."

Daimon licked the shell of my ear driving me crazy with anticipation.

"I know what I promised. I won't kill anyone if you stay mine."

His teeth rapped my clavicle leaving me weak and hot. I really should get to school.

"No..." I got out. "I'm not yours. Our deal is, I help you and you help me."

"Right. You're not mine. But you will be, Scarlett and when I make you mine..." Daimon wrapped my waist with an arm. "We'll be unstoppable."

Any and every word of retaliation and denial dropped to the back of my mind. Slammed in the back of my throat as my body buckled. No, I had to relax it, let the fight go. It wouldn't hurt if I didn't fight. Daimon's four, long fangs had my neck in a suave embrace, nothing like the first time. When he'd nearly torn my head off. Back then, he'd wanted to show me how weak I was. How he was dominant.

But he never intended on killing me.

He'd watched from the shadows, studied me and decided I was a worthy specimen of his time. He'd actually said that to my face. I wasn't used to being talked down to. So, I hit him. That's why he'd bitten me. When I found out humans weren't the top of the food chain.

Vampires were.

I let out a soft groan as Daimon nursed my head and body closer. I helped by pressing against his black Tee. It was a wonderful feeling once you got the pain out of the way. It was a moment of bliss if you allowed yourself to drift and enjoy, if you allowed your mind to wander. My body felt feather-light floating across a black sky, the tiny pinch became a tickle and there was also this very strange nurturing fulfillment.

Daimon's smell of spice and fresh grass cradled my senses as he pulled out. His warm tongue lapped at the twin holes on my neck. My own giggle reached my ears in a booming noise. I was still flowing over everything and everyone. This was what getting high probably felt like.

"I'm going to heal you. Stay still." That wasn't a problem. I wasn't planning on shifting an inch, actually, he'd have to carry me.

Warmth exploded over my neck. Not just from Daimon's palm against my neck. He was focusing all his energy on closing up his bite. It never ceased to amaze me just how powerful he was. Daimon was old, so old my family would suffer a heart attack if they knew. Another laugh bubbled up.

Sush. His mental voice greeted me. No distracting me or you'll end up with healed skin and torn veins.

I went quiet. The delirium was passing. Internal bleeding didn't sound nice, I stayed quiet and still as he finished.

"All done." He announced in his alluring voice. "Can you stand?"

"I think so," I massaged my head for a good minute or so before trying anything. Once I was half way standing, Daimon took my shoulders. "Are you worried about me?"

"I just don't want to waste my energy healing unnecessary bruises. Which you'll get if you fall down."

I perked a tired brow, "Oh, of course."

He frowned deeply while stirring me towards the living room.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just that I thought you're humanity might've... been showing. But you're still heartless."

Flashing me a thousand-dollar-worth smile, Daimon left me on a velvet couch where my clothes were neatly draped.

"I am. Don't forget it, Princess." With the quantity of bodies he'd left around Rosewood? That would be impossible. When that nearby little town hadn't served him anymore, he'd moved to Arcata. "You better get dressed. Your class starts in ten minutes."

Damn it.

Daimon longed on a matching velvet armchair as I struggled with the epoch dress. I was regretting my request now. Who knew wearing a dress from two-hundred years ago would have such consequences?

"Daimon," I glared at his forever youthful, early-twenties face. He was debonair; exhaling lust with his high cheekbones and a kind of dark innocence. "Help me get this off-now." I gritted.

Always the arrogant, he crossed his leg, staring intently. Like he was bird-watching. Times like these I simply wanted to say 'screw it' to everything and break our agreement.

Sometimes I wondered if I got anything out of it at all.

But... when I thought of my family, my friends, everyone who I'd grown up knowing, I knew this was a small price to pay for their safety. And it wasn't like Daimon was awful.

I took in that smile again. I took that back, he was a terrible person.

Five minutes later, I was ready to tear out of the dress and corset. Daimon was silently gazing my way, a finger against his lightly pressed lips. He looked like a statue.

Staring at my watch like it was a Vampire I wanted to stake, I let out a truly frustrated yell.

Finally, Daimon moved.

"Come here, you." He motioned me with a finger. I wanted to stomp my way to him. Still, my steps were all showered in gracefulness. Daimon uncrossed his legs, parting them and in a flurry of speed, I was sitting between them. "Next time say please, hum? It'll save you precious time, gorgeous."

The zipping sound was accompanied by a relieved sigh on my part. I felt him strip away the tight satin, letting my skin breathe. When he untied the corset I wanted to swing around and hug him. God, why had I thought dancing with one of these would be fun? There was nothing fun about running out of breath.

My breath caught as a finger pad roamed the space between my shoulder blades.

"I think someone learned a lesson." I think he was right.

"Hurry up," I mumbled flustered. Trying not to think about how insanely good his touch felt. "I worked very hard on that presentation, Daimon. I don't want to miss my turn."

"I don't see what's the rush. It's just school."

"The rush is my grade. Right now I'm between a B and an A. This will get me an A!" I'd nearly gone blind for staring at my Mac for so long. Doing research, putting it together and all that jazz. I wasn't going to let Charlotte steal my spot light.

Daimon said nothing more as I stripped completely, letting the dress pool at my feet. His eyes weren't on me, I could tell and felt thankful. At least he still had some gentleman-behavior left in him.

I dressed my skinny woolen sweater hastily. The golden dress had been so smothering I'd completely forgotten how cold January was. After getting on my jeans and slipping my feet into flat booties, I grasped my brown winter jacket and book bag.

"Yes?" Daimon mumbled when I stayed very still, eying him.

"Aren't you going to drive me?"

Daimon clicked his tongue. Argh.

"No." I blinked tiredly, knowing the point was mute when he used his clipped tone. I really wasn't one hundred percent to pick a fight with a dangerous Vamp. "You're still here? Shoo, off you go. You don't want to be late for your presentation." He mocked.

Before I snapped, which would happen really soon if I didn't remove myself from his presence, I waltzed outside the living room and into the hall.

As I stepped down the cement stairs, I took a deep breath. Forget about him, I chanted, All you have to think about now are organisms and their reproduction processes.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I'm not sure where this came from, but I wanted to give it a shot. I had the sudden urge to write something darker, or at least try, than what I've done so far. I had it swirling in my head for a few days. Tell me what you think please :) Comment!