Mission: Dad

Chapter One

Hi, my name is Karma and I’m Gerard Way’s daughter. I know what you’re thinking and no, Bandit isn’t the only one, though he doesn’t know that yet. My mom really liked them when they came out with their second album and actually followed them for an entire tour. I guess one night she got to talk to Gee- among other things- and then I happened. She told me she sent a letter explaining what happened and telling him that he had a baby but he never responded. I don’t blame him, I wouldn’t have. My mom isn’t someone people like to be around for very long.

I really wanted to have a dad when I was growing up, but it was never in the cards for me. One day, on the eve of my 18th birthday, I was staring wistfully out the bay window in my room, watching rain make everything look green and fresh. I wish I could feel as good as that grass must have. I started thinking about how much I wanted a dad- no, my dad- and then I made the most important decision of my life. I needed to find Gerard Way and demand that he be the dad I need him to be. I just know that he’ll do the right thing.

I got up and walked downstairs, at first determined but growing more timid with every step. I had no idea how my mom would react but I was worried she would be mad. And technically she could still tell me that I couldn’t go because I’m not 18 yet. Plus, school is still in session. Maybe this isn’t such a good idea. Before I could decide against it, my mother spotted me.

“Look who decided to make an appearance. Is something wrong, honey? You don’t usually leave your room again after dinner,” My mom said with a chuckle. She always thought she was hilarious; that’s part of the reason people don’t usually stick around.

“Um, I have a couple of questions. About my dad,” I responded, pulling my silky black hair to one side and sitting next to her on the couch. She muted the television.

“Go for it, sweetie, but I think I already told you everything I know.” She smiled. There was a small piece of spinach stuck in her perfect teeth. I ignored it.

“Well, I’m just wondering if you ever thought about finding him again and telling him about me. You know, like actually going to him in person.” I tried to smile a little but my stomach was in knots.

“I have but it just isn’t that simple. Meeting him on that one evening when we made you was unlikely enough, and that was before they got really big. And now, I mean, honey, it would be almost impossible to see him again,” my mother explained, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I nodded, my face sullen. “I know, but have you ever even tried?”

“Yes. Once. He was in town for a show and I tried to get backstage but they wouldn’t let me because, well, I had you with me and they just wouldn’t let me in,” she explained. “I probably could have if I had gotten a sitter but there wasn’t much money to spare and I spent anything I could have put toward it on feeding you.”

I bit my lip, looking down at my lap. “Okay.” I stood up and walked back to my room, able to hear my mother turn the television on.

Something about the lukewarm way she reacted, and about her seeming lack of effort, and mostly about the spinach in her teeth made me feel like she was lying. She lied a lot anyway. I decided I shouldn’t tell her what I wanted to do. Instead, I would go ahead and figure it out on my own. It can’t be all that hard to meet a celebrity. Not with the Internet on my side. I’ll just go on Tumblr, and Twitter and start asking around. I opened up my Macbook and posted my story on Tumblr first. I had 200 followers, after all, and someone must know someone who can get me in touch with Gerard. Then it was time to go to Twitter.

I tweeted at all of the members, even the original drummer, plus their manager and record label, along with Bandit, Cherry, and Lily. One of my followers- some guy whose handle is gremlinhunter- told me I should check out 4Chan and ask them but that was terrible advice. After a brief visit to 4Chan I decided just to go to bed and see what advice awaited me the next day.