I'd Lie

You never know.

It was a normal Saturday afternoon. Connie was at the O’Callaghan residence—as per usual—sitting on Anna’s clothes-strewn floor. The two girls listened to the radio as they talked about every typical teenage girl’s favorite topic—boys.

Not being a typical teenage girl, Connie never had much to contribute to these conversations; she didn’t have much experience with the opposite sex, of her own accord—she didn’t particularly like any boys her age, thinking they were too immature. But, Anna was all too happy to carry the conversation, as she usually talked about her boyfriend, Garrett, regardless.

“Didn’t he look so cute today? I mean, he is always cute, but today… Are you even listening, Connie?” Anna asked when she noticed her friend staring into space.

“Huh? Yeah, yeah, I’m listening. Garrett. Cute. Got it,” she summed up Anna’s rambling—not that she needed to even be listening to know what Anna had been saying, it was always the same. Connie excused herself while Anna opened her laptop, presumably to check every social networking site possible. She lived for socializing, whether it was in person or via her various pieces of technology; computer, phone, iPad, you name it.

In the hall, Connie stopped to lean against the wall by the communal bathroom, waiting for whomever was inside to finish their business. When the door popped open minutes later, almost hitting Connie, John—Anna’s brother—sauntered out, head held high.

“Might want to watch where you stand, Constance.” He smirked as she walked into the now abandoned restroom, rolling her eyes when he couldn’t see. John’s eyes lingered until he heard the click of the lock.

“Dude, what took you so long?” Garrett asked as John reentered his bedroom.

“I was in the bathroom, man. Lay off.” John laughed as he took his previous position in the computer chair at his desk. After staring at his laptop’s screen for five minutes while Garrett fumbled around with John’s guitar, John turned to his friend. “Should I really do this?” His voice held a certain uncertainty despite his cool posterior.

“Dude, you’ve been talking about finding your mom forever. Just do it.”

“But what if—I don’t know, she doesn’t want to see me, or Anna? What will my dad think?”

“Your dad will get over it—she’s your mom. And I’m sure she doesn’t not want to see you—you are her son.”

“You still haven’t told Anna, right?” John asked nervously.

Garrett frowned. “Yeah. I hate you for that, by the way. You know I’m no good at keeping secrets.”

“I know, man. Thanks.” Garrett nodded, his attention returning to the guitar in his lap. “Hey, will you come with me?” John questioned not even a moment later.

“Go with you, where?” Garrett asked slowly.

“To see my mom. I can’t do this on my own, and I don’t want to tell Anna until I’m sure Jennifer O’Callaghan, nay Grant, doesn’t want nothing to do with us.”

“You didn’t have to ask, man,” Garrett confessed.

John jumped from his seat, grabbing his wool coat from its hook on the back of his door. “Great. Let’s go!”

“Wait, now?”

***

John drove his beat up Ford through the Phoenix suburbs, reading each green street sign carefully. “I still can’t believe she lives so close. What if I’ve seen her before?” he mumbled as his eyes scanned the neighborhood. Garrett chose not to respond, as John hadn’t stopped muttering ‘what-if’s’ since they hopped in his truck.

Turning right, John slowed his truck as he searched for the house number he had found online. Two thirty-six. Stopping a few houses down and on the opposite side of the road, John looked up at the green house. He took in the perfectly manicured lawn, the blindingly white shudders, and the shiny car in the drive.

Cutting the loud engine of his truck, John reached for the door handle as his courage grew. As he pushed the heavy door open though, he stopped. His eyes locked on the tall silhouette exiting the large, dark green house, her left hand attached to that of a young—maybe six year-old—boy.

John pulled his door closed, fumbling with the ignition as he tried to start his ancient truck in a hurry. “Whoa, hold up. Why are we leaving?” Garrett asked as his eyebrows pushed together in confusion.

“This was a bad idea,” John muttered. “She has a perfect life, why should I ruin it?”

“John, you’ve wanted this forever. And now, you’re just giving up because she has a nice house and a family?” Garrett asked rhetorically. “You can’t tell me the thought never crossed your mind.”

John let his head roll back against the seat, his eyes closing as he thought. “I can’t meet her like this. I’m obviously not good enough. I mean, look at me.” John sighed.

“What if you did have it all together?” Garrett asked, earning a small glare from his friend. “I mean…why not show her that your life is perfect, too?”

“But it’s not. My dad barely pays any attention to me…everything is about Anna with him. Sure, I have friends, but I’ve never had an actual girlfriend. I’m far from perfect.”

“Well, I can’t do anything about your dad, but—”

“But what?”

“What if we got you a girlfriend? Someone more than perfect.”

John laughed humorlessly. “Like who?” Garrett pretended to think for a moment, watching his friend carefully as he suggested the one girl perfect enough for a mother’s approval. “No, no way.” John shook his head, his hands griping the steering wheel as he pulled away from the curb.

“Oh, c’mon. You can’t tell me she’s not perfect.”

“She’s my little sister’s best friend. We don’t get along, at all. What makes you think she’d go out with me?”

“Well, maybe not for real,” Garrett started, his eyes watching the passing scenery.

“Gee, thanks.”

“Well,” he stated. “Maybe you could ask her for a favor? You never know, she might say yes.”

“Yeah, right,” John muttered, rolling his eyes.

Garrett shrugged. “Its worth a shot.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is old - wrote a few chapters a long time ago. I want to continue it, but would like to see what you all think. Maybe it would give me some motivation, too?

:)