I'd Lie

Are we really going to the movies?

“You’re really doing this?” Anna asked in disbelief from her perch on Connie’s bed, Garrett lying on his back beside her. Connie ignored her friend, getting annoyed at her incessant line of questioning. “I mean, you and John? You hate even being in the same room with him.”

“I do not,” Connie defended under her breath. “How’s this look?”

“Cute, I guess. But, c’mon Con. Tell me the truth. Why did you agree to go out with him?”

“Anna, let her be,” Garrett attempted to cut in, but his girlfriend sent him a glare before turning back to her friend.

“I don’t know.” And that was the truth. She couldn’t come up with a reasonable excuse as to why she had agreed. Maybe it was the sad look in his eyes as he talked about his mom, or the hopeful smile as he waited for her answer. All Connie knew was that she wanted to help John. She reasoned with herself, an acceptable explanation becoming known; if she helped John now, then eventually, it would mean helping Anna. If John met his mother, then he’d have to introduce her to Anna, right? “I mean, he’s kind of cute and…” she said instead, wincing only the slightest bit.

“Since when? You’ve never paid attention to boys, let alone my brother. It’s like we’ve entered an alternate universe. One where the two people I never thought I could get to stop bickering with each other are about to go on a date,” Anna rambled. “Eww. Really, Con?”

Connie nodded mutely as she tried to tuck a stray curl behind her ear. “He’s not so bad,” she reasoned, mostly trying to convince herself, and repeated the words in her head when Anna responded with an eye roll. Before the words had taken any type of hold in her mind, the doorbell rang. Connie looked nervously to the clock—six fifty-eight, it read—then to her friend. “Are you sure I look okay?” she asked, hoping that her concern for her choice of clothing would display the right amount of first-date nervousness, though she didn’t have to fake the slight apprehension she felt in the pit of her stomach.

While Connie collected herself, Anna and Garrett walked into the living room. Opening the door, the former glared at her brother, who was dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a button-down dress shirt. “You’re really doing this, John?” she questioned, an eyebrow raised and her hands propped on her hips.

He nodded. “Yeah, Anne.” Sensing his sister's unwillingness to let the fact that he was taking her best friend on a date go, he sighed. “Maybe I like her, okay?” he asked in a small voice, one that he hadn’t known he possessed.

“Be nice to her. I wont hesitate to kick your ass if you hurt her,” she warned, holding his gaze. Garrett smiled from behind his girlfriend, sending John a conspiring look.

John’s half smirk fell into place as he shook his head. Before he had a chance to answer, he noticed a movement in the dimly lit room behind his sister. “Constance,” he breathed in relief. “Please save me from Anna. I swear she’s worse than any dad when it comes to interrogating their daughter’s potential boyfriend.”

Connie didn’t miss Anna’s eyes as they widened at John’s reference to being a potential boyfriend, and she let a small laugh fall from her lips. John smiled, noticing his sister mouthing, boyfriend? Really?

“You look nice, Connie.” She blushed at the compliment, running her fingers self-consciously over the hem of her flowing, knee-length dress as she murmured in thanks.

John played up the act as he felt Anna’s eyes watching the pair. He let his hand rest on the small of Connie’s back as he followed her down the brick walkway to his idling truck. When they reached the passenger door, he held it open for her, offering her a hand as she climbed into the tall cab, sending her a wink before shutting the door. Looking back up at Connie’s house, he noticed Anna’s presence as she stayed in the doorway with an ever-present glare directed his way. He sent her a cheesy smile in reply.

Connie laughed lightly to herself as John rounded the front of the truck. Her repressed inner-child grinned as she watched her best friend squirm. Normally, she would never do something that Anna didn’t approve of. Then again, she normally wouldn’t have agreed to fake-date John either, so she shrugged as she prepared for her first date with her pseudo boyfriend.

When John began backing out of her driveway, Anna finally retreated back into the house. Connie fiddled with her dress as she avoided looking at John. “Are we really going to the movies?” she asked, her voice small.

“Of course,” John answered, confused. “Why wouldn’t we?”

She looked up at him then. “Well, we’re not actually dating,” she stated matter-of-factly.

“Well, yeah. But we have to keep up pretenses. We’re not just faking this for Anna. Besides, if we’re going to be believable as a couple, then don’t you think we should spend some alone time together? You know, get to know each other a little better.”

“I guess that makes sense,” she relented as they pulled into a parking lot.

Before cutting the engine, John turned to Connie. “Thanks for doing this. It means a lot.”

The sincerity in his voice smoothed the planes of Connie’s face, wiping away any sense on worry or apprehension. “No problem, John.”

“So what do you want to see?” he asked as he held his hand out for her take when he opened her door.

“I don’t know, I thought you would already have something in mind,” she admitted.

“Honestly, I didn’t think past asking you. I thought you’d shoot me down.” He shook his head, a light smile playing on his lips. “Why did you say yes?”

Connie was silent for a moment before she hesitantly met John’s wondering gaze. “I don’t know, really. I’m still trying to figure that one out.”

“Well, I’m grateful nonetheless.” As they approached the ticket counter, John read over the movies and their play times. “Well, looks like we only have one choice. Scary movie it is.”

Connie bit her lip, but didn’t protest as John led her into the first theatre.