Status: active

Everything Happens for a Reason

Coping (Sam POV)

I sat on my bed hugging my knees to my chest as the sun started to shine through the cracks of my curtains illuminating the room, and the havoc I'd unleashed on it in the night. I was tired, confused, annoyed and scared. I was terrified to leave my room in case I hurt one of my friends but I couldn't stay in here alone with my own thoughts that got more gruesome by the minute. My first instinct was to go to Alex but it was her day off from the bakery and she didn't really get much time to enjoy her birthday yesterday with everything that happened. So I changed my course and peeked in the kitchen to make sure Max was in there before heading to his and Will's room to talk to Will. Cassidy's most likely to be busy and Max would freak out about my room. I knocked and waited for him to respond before going in.

I poured everything out to him, blowing up Max's clothes hamper in the process. Will told me to calm down(easier said then done) and to stay in my room as much as possible to reduce the damage I could do in the day to the rest of the apartment, promising that we'd find a way to replace as much as my stuff as we could afford to. He also told me to cancel my job interview, which I didn't really want to do as I'd been bringing up the rear for rent payments but I saw his point. Didn't wanna blow the place up then have the government take me away to preform tests, and then eventually transform me into a military weapon.

I went back to my room and looked at the mess I'd made. It was a mess anyway, I was a messy person which drove Max crazy but he annoyed me in return so we're even. I picked up all my broken things, making a list of them as I went for Will. I dragged the rubbish bag filled with my stuff to the bins outside the building. When I got back to the flat I saw Alex sat at the breakfast bar drinking a cup of tea. I smiled and went to fix myself some tea too before sitting next to her.

"How're you doing Ally Cat?" I asked

She shrugged before answering "alright" I gave her a look and she smiled. "Okay so I'm a little scared"

"Join the club"

"You? Scared? Yeah right you're never afraid of anything. I envy that about you sometimes"

"Well you shouldn't because it often gets me into trouble. Of course I'm scared, I'm a walking bomb, I destroyed my room last night"

"You'll get it Sammy, you just need to calm down"

"And I'm sure in a week or two I will, but for now I can't. I keep thinking what if the next thing I destroy isn't a piece of furniture? What if I hurt you or the others? Or what if I blow up a whole building and kill hundreds?"

"You don't know-"

"Exactly. We don't know, that is what scares me the most. None of us know anything about these powers or what we're supposed to do with them and any one who does know is dead. How do we know it wasn't to make us into killing machines"

"Because of who we are. We're not killers and nobody could ever force us to be. Especially you. You're the sweetest person I know, you couldn't hurt a fly"

"Then you shouldn't worry either. We both know you're a much better person then me Ally Cat. You've got nothing to be afraid of"

I smiled and ruffled her long brown hair, taking her now empty mug with my own and put them in the sink, Max would wash them when he got back. I went to my room and plugged myself into my iPod, the screen was shattered but still worked. I caught a glimpse of my lighter and a pack of cigarettes on my windowsill and realised I hadn't had a smoke all morning so I grabbed them and went out onto the fire escape to smoke. Alex called out to me to tell me she was going for a walk. I smoked three cigs then went back to my room and lay back on my bed and let the sound of Bring Me The Horizon fill my ears.

It was about half an hour later when the phone rang. If that's the orphanage telling me I have more destructive magical powers the phone will be the next thing to go. I looked at the caller ID and saw a number I didn't recognise, so I just shrugged and answered it.

"Hello" I said

"Hello, is this Sam Hunt? This is the hospital, we're calling to talk to you about your flatmate Alex Turner" a what sounded to be a middle aged woman replied "She's had an accident"

"Is she alright?! Is she hurt?!"

"She's fine. She got hit being the hero, a little boy was crossing the road when a car came round the corner, she pushed him out the way and the car just bumped her hip and pushed to the ground. She landed on her arm so it's sprained and her hip is badly bruised. We need you to come and collect her and sign her discharge papers"

I nodded even though she couldn't see me and hung up. I stuffed my keys, smokes and lighter in my pocket and left the apartment and caught the bus into town. I walked to the hospital from there smoking a cigarette as I didn't know how long I'd be in the hospital. I walked in and to the front desk and asked for Alex. The receptionist gave me a form to sign and fill in while she fetched Alex. I'd just finished when she returned with Alex who was shaking like a leaf, so I put my arm around her. We walked back to the bus stop and caught it back home. I lead her to the sofa in the living room and made her sit down while I made her some hot chocolate with marshmallows. I sat down next to her and handed her the drink then put my arm back around her as she smiled and sipped her drink.

"Okay so I was walking, thinking about everything." she began "And I saw the little kid and it was like a blacked out and I saw what would have happened if I hadn't stepped in. I knew I had to save him. I understand your fear a little better now. What if I see something I can't stop and someone gets hurt? It'll be my fault I'll always feel as if I could've done something"

Tears had started to leak out of her eyes and I pulled her in for a hug. That's when the door clicked open and Will walked in. He took one look at Alex and immediately asked what happened.

"One of Alex's powers have triggered"