My Heart Spell

You are Invited

Returning was hard yes. But grandpa health is above all ells. It's above some crush that would had ended in heart brake and nothing more. Other then buckets of ice cream at the most.

Weeks have past since we left and since then, I feel like I have been watched. I have gotten into the habit of looking over my shoulder, searching for a mouth, but there is nothing but cars lining the streets up and down and kids playing out front of their houses.

Looking forward a car door opens in a sleek black car. I am almost expecting to see Peter get out of the car, but no such luck. It's just a guy in a suite, reaching into his inside jacket pocket. He stops me from walking Drew the dog. "Are you Kelsey?" he asks as he pulls out a big envelope, as another man gets out of the driver side and going to the truck.

"Depending on who is asking." I say, with every fibber to scoop of Drew and run for the hills.

"It's her," the man in the trunk says in a rough voice, as if he has to make his voice sound different.

The passenger shakes his head and hands over the envelope. "You are invited to attend a Ball by the Corn family. You are the guest of honor." the man says.

The driver walks over to me, with a suite on and dark sunglasses on and hands over a long box. "You are expected to wear this dress and have your hair up," he says and then both men get in the car and pull away from the curb.

Drew looks up at me and makes a bark, as if to ask what just happened. "I have no idea," I say to him and then we head home, with the envelope in my hoody pocket and box under my arm.

***

Once we are home, I go to grandpa study to let him know we got back safe and tell him what happened. He is startled, but it's as if he has to force himself to be that way. What was going on? First that man with the rough voice and now grandpa. "I'm glad you are safe. Have you open the envelope?" he asks.

"Why bother? I'm not going, what happened was a fluke. He should just be glad he is human and get on with his life."

Grandpa gets the stearin look on his face. "Now Kelsey, stranger things happen every day, you know that. What happened is just one of those and you don't want to give up just like that. Now tell me you will go, cause if you don't, I'm just going to throw you over my shoulder and take you there myself."

"Grandpa-"

"Don't grandpa me. I'm not going to be around forever you know this." he stands up, showing his age of an old man and puts his hands on my shoulders. "Kelsey, I love you, but you are to stinking stubborn like your grandma. You would not believe how many times it took me to ask her out, just to get her to go out with me. Please, don't do the same to Peter, cause you'll just drive him nuts and push him to want to go rock climbing."

I'm shocked by his last words. "You told me grandma was a cheerleader and hated sports that got dirt on her hands."

"I climbed the rock to put a big flag up on it saying I loved her. The things us men do, to tell you women that we love you." he says with a chuckle. "I'll go to the Ball if that makes you feel better, but please don't drive the boy to nuts." he gives me a kiss on the head. "Now go take a shower, these hot days don't do anything for your hair."

***

>>>Dear Kelsey,

You are hear to attained the Ball of Corn to welcome Peter Corn back. You are allowed to have someone come with you and hope to see you soon.

Corn Family<<<

Looking into the envelope again, I find a picture of Peter and me as little kids playing in the snow. Flipping it to the other side there is writing.

>>>I wish I could bring those days back to us, so I could tell you how much I loved playing in the snow with you and sitting by the fire. I wish I could beat up all the mean boys that picked on you.

I hope you'll allow me to do that now. Please come to the Ball and dance with me.

Peter<<<

"Fine damn it, I'll go."
♠ ♠ ♠
One chapter to go. Are you ready?