My Heart Spell

New Girl

I was standing in front of a very snooty man behind a desk. “Name?” the word rolls right off his tong.

“Kelsey, I’m starting work this summer as a ski instructor and cook,” I inform him.

He looks back at his computer, types some things and then shakes his head and hands me a key. “This is your room key,” he grabs something out from under the desk, not even having to bind down. He places a hat and shirt with the lodge logo of a mountain in the back ground and a bear roaring out the name. “When you are inside cooking, you are meant to wear either one of these. There will be more shirts delivered to your room later on,”

“Okay, thank you,”

Before I walk on, he grabs my wrist. “Before you go on, I need to grab something if anyone comes in please look up their name and give them, their key.” he tells me in a hush voice, as if something will over hear us.

Releasing my wrist, he walks into a back room and closes the door tightly. “Weird,” walking around the desk, I put my really heavy bag down on the floor and wait for someone to come in and wouldn’t you figure, soon as I put my bag down a family of most of them having dirty blond hair and only one of them--the man that has brown hair. Giving them a smile, I am ready to look for their name. “Welcome to Honey Lodge, name please.”

The woman with blond hair but has dark routes looks pissed at me as she scrunches up her nose at me. “Who the hell are you? Where is Gorge?” on cue the man from behind the desk, comes rushing out the back and pushes me over sending me down on to the ground over my stuff onto my butt.

“So sorry about that Mrs. Corn, that is one of are new workers Kelsey, I had to do a few things in the back--”

Mrs. Corn cuts him off with a raise of a hand to silence her. “I don’t care for your pity party, don’t let it happen again. Where are our keys?” she asks holding out her hand to him.

He quickly pulls out three sets of keys.

No one says anything, as the family of rich and powerful walk on with their bags following behind them, as strong men carry the bags. You would think that they were moving in, with all the bags they had. Standing up, I pick up my own bag and go around front to pick up my hat and shirt, that someone pushed off the counter. “So when do I start work?’ I ask, acting like I didn’t know that he just set me up, to get me in trouble with those people.

He hands me a peace of paper showing me times. “Tomorrow at ten, then switch over to cooking at one,” he informs me and starts typing on his computer as another family come into the building.

Determined not to get run over or get in trouble again, I leave to go in search of my room. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a big bug come down from a moose head above where the man behind the desk is at. The bug moves animal head to animal head, as if its playing some game thinking that I don’t see it. I mean really, it’s the size my fist. “Creeper bug,” I whisper and no sooner do those words come out of my mouth I bump into someone and we both go down on to are butts. “Oh man, I’m so sorry,” looking up I come face to face with a cute looking red head guy.

He rubs his lower back. “No it’s my fault, I wasn’t watching where I was going.” he looks up at me and his face gets as red as his hair. “Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry,” he stands up fast, I try to do the same but my bag keeps me grounded to the floor. He grabs my hand and pulls me, as if the weight of my bag doesn’t matter. “Hi I’m Jason, please don’t tell me you are one of are rich clients,” he whispers as a family passes us.

Shaking my head no, he exhales as if he just held his breath for the blow of me telling him, that I came from a high standing family. “Nope, my name is Kelsey and I start work here tomorrow.”

He shakes his head with a big grin on his face. “Oh you are the fames Kelsey,”

We start walking and my shoulders slump a little bit, as I roll my eyes. “What has my grandpa been saying about me?”

He bust out laughing. “Nothing bad, can’t believe you got that so quickly,”

Standing up right again, I see the bug following us again. “Well its sort of easy, with grandpa really the only family member that I have that is still alive,”

Jason becomes grim. “I forgot that both your parents died in a car accident,” he looks at me threw thick eye lashes. “Do you have siblings?”

“Nope, only child,” we stop in front of a door.

“This is you, see you at dinner,” he tells me then he leaves.

Putting my key in the key hole, soon as I open it the big bug zooms passed my head into the room. Looking around the room, it’s as if the bug just vanished into thin air. “Stupid bugs,” I grumble as I put the big heavy bag down on the dusty bed. Coughing as dust comes up in the air, I go over to the window to let in fresh air. “Awesome, I cant even rest from a ten hour butt falling asleep flight soon as I get here. I got to clean the room, so the dust and bugs go away,” a sneeze comes out, making me dizzy for a few seconds. Looking around the room, I find cleaning supplies and get to work.