You're Not Lost

Ten.

"Ok, I'll be over soon."

Jill flipped her cell phone shut as she stood up from the couch.

"Hey Elle, I have to go help my cousin, she accidentally bleached half her hair and she's panicking," Jill rolled her eyes with a smirk. "But can you tell Janie when she gets back, and tell her I'll call her later?"

"Sure." Elizabeth waved goodbye to Jill as she hurried up the stairs and down the street to her house. No one else in the basement seemed to notice.

"Ugh, none of these are 'first movie' worthy." Alex ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

"Look at this one." Elizabeth smiled, picking up the movie and passing it to Alex. He laughed.

"We're not watching Aladdin."

"It looks so nice, though." Elizabeth frowned, examining the bright colors and animation on the cover. "Have you seen it?"

"Of course I've seen it! It's about a poor dude who likes this rich chick and he's gotta use this crazy genie to wish for stuff to make her like him. We're not watching that. We're watching a real movie." He tossed the movie aside.

"Great description, Alex..." Roxy laughed from the couch. He flipped his middle finger up at her while she rolled her eyes. Roxy was a pretty girl, but tough enough that she didn't take much shit from the guys. She had intimidated Elizabeth at first, with her bright red choppy hair and dark eye makeup, but her kind smile and personality were starting to grow on her.

Elizabeth sighed, getting restless. She began to play with the strings of her bonnet as she wondered how much longer Janie would be.

"Do you like murder mysteries?" Alex wondered nonchalantly. Elizabeth cringed.

"No..."

"Just checking." He tossed a few more movies into the 'no' pile.

"Janie's been gone a while now..." Elizabeth observed. Alex smirked.

"You're right, they must be making a lot of popcorn..."

"Oh you're gross!" Roxy exclaimed, her voice filled with realization, as Alex laughed like a maniac.

"Put the tv on, Alex." Rian said, ignoring everything else. Alex did as he was told and the television screen soon turned on with a burst of light. Elizabeth smiled. She had only watched tv a few times since she had arrived at Janie's house, but each time was a delight.

"I watched a show called 'America's Next Top Model the other night! With Janie." Elizabeth announced proudly, to no one in particular.

"Janie's brainwashing you!" Alex laughed.

"Don't listen to Alex, I like that show. What were the challenges?" Roxy and Elizabeth exchanged small talk about the show for a few minutes, as Rian and Alex watched an old episode of some cartoon. Finally Alex stood up, kicking some of the movies aside as he did.

"Ok, this is boring as shit. Obviously Janie and Zack got lost...I'm gonna go rent a movie that doesn't suck in the meantime."

"Well in that case I'm leaving." Roxy stood up as well, dragging Rian up with her.

"Why? It'll take two seconds."

"HA! Last time you said that and left to go pick up a pizza we didn't see you till the next day."

"Well that was different. I was drunk. I don't know why you trust me on pizza duty when I'm drunk."

"I'm just saying, Janie's gone, Zack's gone, Jill's gone, you're going...let me know when everyone's in the same room again."

Roxy looked slightly irritated, but still smiled at Elizabeth.

"Bye, Elle, hopefully we'll have a real movie night soon."

"Guess that means I'm leaving too..." Rian followed Roxy up the stairs, looking confused with a goofy smile on his face. "Bye guys."

"Do people disappear often in this group...?" Elizabeth questioned. It was now just her and Alex. She was still seated, while he stood near the stairs. He smirked in response to her question.

"Yeah, I guess I didn't realize how often this happens. Must be why Roxy's such a bitch today."

"That's not very nice."

An awkward silence fell over the room as Alex studied the innocent Amish girl sitting criss crossed in the middle of the floor. She was still twirling the ties of her bonnet around her finger- something she did when she was bored or nervous. She had on a thick, long blue dress, that just about covered her ankles. Alex wondered how she could wear so much fabric in the summertime without sweating.

"Oh, Roxy's tough, she can take it." He explained, in a nicer tone. Elizabeth shrugged, not knowing what to say.

"Well, let's go get a movie then."

"From the store?"

"Yeah, we can rent one, like you borrow it from the store." He explained quickly, hoping she wouldn't ask more questions about the simple process.

"I think I should stay here and wait for Janie." Elizabeth seemed hesitant.

"I don't think she's coming back soon...c'mon, it'll be fun."

"Well..."

Elizabeth's thought was interrupted by the sound of the front door opening upstairs. She stood up and smoothed out her dress, as she went over to stand at the foot of the steps with Alex. They both leaned closer to the staircase to get a better listen.

"Hey Jack, I think everyone's downstairs."

Her Aunt Sandra's voice was warm and calm. Elizabeth guessed that she hadn't been near the front door while everyone was slowly leaving over the last hour.

"Cool, thanks Miss S."

Jack's voice was much louder, and not so calm, and his footsteps matched as he walked swiftly through the kitchen. He flung open the basement door and grinned as his eyes laid on the two eavesdroppers at the bottom of the steps.

"Miss meeeee?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hopefully this isn't confusing, I typed it up real fast and changed some of it halfway. Thank you for reading!