Status: feedback always appreciated

Crash

Protect Her

Image

Braydon's POV

“Your sister already has a boyfriend.” I told the five year old I couldn’t believe I was having this conversation; I was also shocked she was speaking to me.

“I don’t like him, he’s silly.” Even a five year old could work Jason out

“I don’t like him either, but I do like your sister”

“We should make a plan” She sits so perfectly still, not to bother anyone, with her hands clamped in her lap and her voice just above a whisper, but she has my full attention.

“hhhmmm, a plan what do you mean?” I’ll humour her

“So you can be Livy’s boyfriend.” She is smart

“Very smart miss Emily, but I think we need to make a deal first.”

“What?” Even though I have gained her attention and she seemed a little excited about that she was still very quiet. “You have to start talking to your sister.” This changed her mood instantly, she turned away from me “Hey,” I tried being gentler with her “Start small with me okay, if she asks you a question you can answer her, your sister would love nothing more then for you to talk to her.”

“Okay.” And with that she stuck out her tiny hand

“Deal.” She mumbled.

Our attention turned at the sound of footsteps coming down the hall, I stood as Olivia scooped up Emily and we headed back towards the car park.

“So Emily and I thought that we should go get ice cream.” I announce turning to Livy I find her trying to repress a smile by biting her bottom lip.

“I could go for some ice cream.” She nods “What ice cream flavour do you want Em?” She asks

“Rainbow?” its almost a question, and it comes out so small I think Olivia almost asked her again just to make sure she heard her correctly.

“That does sound good.” I stand back as Liv clips Em into the back seat and watch as she takes a moment pulling her hair back from her face, resting her hands on her head and taking a deep breath. I don’t know what is going through her head but I know she is struggling. “Come on Bunny lets go get ice cream,” I smile at her from across the car, its all I can do to reassure her that everything is going to be okay.

Both the girls get rainbow ice cream while I opt for chocolate and we sit in the corner of the almost empty diner in awkward silence. Emily isn’t really up for speaking and I'm not going to push her, plus its not my place. While I can almost see the cogs turning over in Olivia’s head, I know she wants to talk but its most likely about her sister speaking to me and well we cant just have that conversation in front of Emily. So we sit and I try to make small talk about school keeping all topics light.

“School is finished do you mind taking me back to get my car?” I ask Liv and she nods picking up all our napkin to throw out on our way out the door.

In the car on the way back to school no one tries for conversation and it isn’t quiet as awkward Liv has the radio tuned to something soft and alternative that she is happy to lightly sing along to while i’ve never heard it, i feel like I get to know her just by listening to her sing.

“Ill see you around Emily, stay out of trouble.” I tell her as I'm about to get out of the car.

“Bye Braydon.” She whispers and I smile at her in return.

“Em just sit tight, I'm gonna walk Braydon to his car.” Liv tells her sister and also gets out and I start to head to my car with her following.

“Hey Braydon,” I turn around to find she has stopped walking so I do too and I'm pretty sure she is just about ready to blow up at me for following her today and then suggesting ice cream so I cut her off.

“Look I know you don’t need my help, you’re coping and doing just fine and I understand I'm about the last person you want anything from, but Livy if you do need anything, at all with Emily or anything you know where I am.” And without any warning her arms are wrapped around my neck and she has pretty much thrown herself at me. This is just about the last reaction I expect to get out of her but I wrap her to me, my arms tight around her back, lifting her slightly off the floor and I can feel her crying into my neck.

“Hey Liv, don’t cry please.” I set her down, stepping back just far enough so I can look at her properly. “don’t cry.” I wipe a tear away but another replaces it. “It is going to be okay.”

“Ive been so awful to you…”

“I deserve everything you’ve thrown at me, I deserve for you to hate me.”

“what am I gonna do?”

“I wish I could tell you, just take it one day at a time.” I don’t care that she hates me right now I want to pull her closer call her baby and never let her go. Instead she rests her forehead on my chest in defeat.

“I can’t believe Emily was talking to you.”

“Neither can I, she is gonna be okay and so are you.” She lifts her head wiping the last of her tears and nods.

“I'm gonna try not to need anyone from now on,” she nods trying to convince herself “But I did need you today so thank you Braydon.” I wrap my arms around her one last time trying to protect her from everything I helped create.
♠ ♠ ♠
Opinions?
Merry Christmas