Status: if you like it let me know, I will update

Lux

| Loss |

I was running through the forest, a dead forest, all the trees had no leaves and their branches stuck out like deadly knives. My heart was pounding so fast I thought it would escape through my mouth.
'Don't be afraid, I am with.'
Where was that voice coming from? There was no one running with me. And yet, as surreal as it was it brought comfort. I had no fear.
Fear what? Who?
Where was Redd?
I ran and ran, my legs moving faster than my eyes can see.
'I will protect. When they come, I will carry you.'
I turned and looked for the person who was speaking to me, but all I saw was the dead forest behind me.
I couldn't even see what or who I was running from. The darkness that surrounded was now darker, if that was even possible. And then, a burst of light.
'Wake up!'

My eyes shot open, my heart racing as I blinked away the fragments of my dream. I looked around my dark room, trying to gather my thoughts, when I realised something was wrong. I sat up, puzzled, mind still foggy. And then I smelt it.
Fire.
I shot out of my bed and ran to the window. The shed outside was on fire. That's where we stored our food.

"Fire." I croaked, my voice caught in my throat.

"FIRE!"

Finally, when the realisation of what was going on hit me, I let out a belting scream. And I didn't stop.

"Fire!" I screamed as I ran down the hall, to my father's room.

I saw him emerge, eyes wide.
Soon everybody was awake.
There were screams, people ran out of the house.

"Dad!" I called out to him.

"Go run! Get out!" He yelled.

My father was a tall man, yet strong and sturdy in his height. He was a gentle giant though, always one to put others before him. He stood opposite me and ushered me down the stairs, in a rush, almost falling down.
Downstairs the kitchen had caught fire. People were running around, trying to salvage what they could. There was no way to put the fire out. Water was scarce, and we would rather save the water, than waste it on a temporary home.
Only when we stepped outside did we realise the whole front yard was on fire. The heat from the flames scalding my face.
The smoke was thick and black and I had started to choke on it. It stuck to my tongue making it dry and thick. We were trapped.
The dry wood fence on the patio had caught fire fast and soon all ten of us who were in this house were pushing back in, to get away from the flames. I stumbled back, against my father. He turned me around by my shoulders.

"This way!" He yelled.

We turned right, towards the map room, that had another door that led to a library. That part of the house was not yet on fire. There was a window, big enough to climb through. Not much of the yard was yet on fire. The heat was so much, so thick.
I couldn't breathe, the smoke burnt my eyes.

"Dad!" I called to him, as he lead one person after another out of the window.

"Go, Lux! I'm right behind you." He replied.

As I turned and ducked my head to get through the frame, the realisation of what was happening hit me. We were under attack. I could hear screams from the other houses, cries for help.
I jumped down, and landed funny on my ankle so it twisted. A sharp pain shot through my leg and I cried out. But the fire was close. The tree to the right of the window we jumped out of was on fire. You couldn't see it from the inside it was so high up. I looked up at it in awe. It's branches wide, outstretched like a burning man waiting to give you a hug. Against the black night sky, it looked like a monster.
I saw my dad begin to make his way out. But as he stuck out his long lanky leg, a large branch fell in front of the window, just missing my father.
He leapt back into the house and disappeared from my sight, and for a moment I thought the worst. The fallen branch sent up a large burst of flames.
On the ground, clutching my ankle I held my breath.
Then my dad reappeared and I let out my breath.
Behind me the flames drew closer. I was surrounded by dry grass, this was not a safe spot for me.

"Dad! Get out now!" I screamed.

But as I said it the grass beneath the fallen branch caught fire, and a burst of flames rose up to the window. I scrambled back to get away from it.

"Lux! You need to get away from there now!" My father ordered.

I could not leave him, but soon I would be incased in a ring of fire. And my father was clearly trapped in the house. My eyes began to burn with tears.

"Lux, get up now." He said again.

I moved to stand, ignoring the pain in my ankle.

"Dad you need to try!" I cried.

It was impossible, he would not beable to jump that far, over the flames. Thick smoke was coming out of the house. Suddenly I felt myself being supported at the waist, then an arm under my legs. I turned to look and I was face to face with Redd, as he began to carry me.

"Redd." I muttered.

He did not say a word, just carried me across the yard, down a little hill into a clearing in the woods where the rest of the camp had gathered. He put me down on the dirt, then placed his hands on my cheeks.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"My father--" I croaked, choking back fresh tears.

Immediately Redd was up and darting back. I brought my hands up to my face to cover my sobs, then I remembered. Before going to bed I had slipped the gold ring onto my ring finger. Putting my hands back down, I looked around to see if anyone had seen. People were busy attending to others, making sure they were okay and uninjured. Slowly I slipped the ring off and put it into my pocket. I tried to get up, but the pain in my ankle hurt too much.

"Allow me."

I look back to get a quick glimpse of Duke, as he hooked his arms under my shoulders and swiftly lifted me up. I barely he time to protest before he turned me around to face him.
Bringing his face down to my ear, his lips brushing against my lobe, his breath heating up my neck.

"Even the darkness of the forest cannot hide all secrets, Miss Lux." He drawled.

My heart began to race. Had he seen?
I pressed my palms against his chest and pushed him back.

"This is not the time nor place to be speaking in riddles." I scolded.

Then I hopped away from his embrace, just in time to see Redd return.
Alone.
The look on his face said it all. I sank back down on the ground, pain forgotten.
Redd rushed over to me and pulled me in for a hug.

"He tried. He really did try. He said he loves you." And that was all he said.

I made no sound, just let the tears stream down my face. That was it now. I was an orphan.

"Don't be afraid, I am with you."

I remembered the dream. But the words brought no comfort. Even in Redd's arms I felt numb, disconnected.

"C'mon everybody," Duke's bellow shattered the silence, "we have to find safety. There's nothing we can save now."

His words pierced my heart. I steeled back anymore tears, I couldn't let him enjoy my vulnerability. Redd pulled away just enough to cup my face, and turn my head to him.

"I love you," he muttered, "I will never leave you, I promise."