Status: if you like it let me know, I will update

Lux

| Pain |

"Go Lux! I'm right behind you!"

I woke with a start, my heart almost bursting out of it's rib cage. Strong arms held me tight as I struggled to get away, to free myself from the nightmare I was in.

"Breathe, Lux, breathe." Redd's soothing voice whispered in my ear. My sharp ragged breaths began to slow, and I stopped fighting to get away from him.

Once the fog of the nightmare cleared I realised I was no longer in my makeshift bedroom. We were out in the open, in the woods. Redd was leaning against a tree and I was sitting between his legs, arms still gripping me. It was not just a nightmare. It was real. Last night was real. I scowled, squeezing my eyes shut to hold back the tears. But it was to no avail. My father's face was seared to my memory. The last image of the man I admired my whole life, moments before he died, was fear. I had never seen my father more terrified than in that moment.

I peeled myself away from Redd's grip. My ankle still hurt, but I was able to stand on my own.

"Lux, wait--" he started but I shook my head to stop him.

"I need some space." I said. I turned from him and made my way into the woods.

The sun was just starting to rise, I could tell it was still too early. Most of the camp was already up and getting ready to move on. It was not safe here anymore. It would not be long before the Guardians began searching these would and killing us off one by one. We had not covered by ground last night either.
A part of me wanted to turn back and search for my father. Maybe he was still alive; he could have got out somehow. I let out a sigh in despair.
Would I find him there?
I did not want to think about it. I did not want to imagine what I would find.
I saw Sevyn emerge from behind the trees. When she saw me her face fell and she ran to me.

"I'm so sorry." She said, taking me into a tight hug.

I was now an orphan, like Sevyn; who had been alone since she was ten years old. Once again I began to cry. This time I felt weak and ashamed. Sevyn has been alone most of her life, yet she was strong, brave and resilient. I was nothing like her. My father had been around to protect me through everything. I have never had to fend for myself. I had no right to fall apart in front of her.

"It's going to be okay." Sevyn whispered.

Were those the words you say to a girl who has just lost her father? They seemed to bring me comfort and they reminded me of the dream I had before the fire.

"Don't be afraid. I will protect you."

*

Ten people died in the fires that broke out in our camp. One of them being my father. About five more were missing. It was not hard to imagine what could have happened to them, the ominous presence of the Guardians loomed over us. We honoured them by sharing a moment of silence, before Duke said a few words.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our comrades. The attack that took place last night was savage, and brutal! We know who could have done this!" A cold silence passed through the camp at the thought that our enemies could be near.
"But we will carry on. We will look to rebuild a better future, one our fallen comrades will be proud of. Let this then be a warning to all those who do not follow the rules. Your belligerence will only cost more lives! Obey and you shall live to see another day."

Duke's eyes locked with mine and Redd in the last part. I felt Redd's fingers touch mine in reassurence. If I had any doubt before, now I was certain that Duke knew about Redd and I's marriage.

The camp began to move towards the east, in the direction of another camp we were meant to join. Redd, Sevyn and I walked behind everybody else. My ankle was slowing me down.

"Our next stop, I'm getting Cyan to look at that for you." Redd said as he hoisted my arm over his shoulder.

I could not respond, I just kept thinking about Duke. Why did he not just confront us, or kill us already? Why was he dragging this out?

"He knows, Redd." I whispered, careful not to let the others hear.

"He does not." Redd dismissed. But I could tell by the crease between his brows that he was just as concerned as I was.

"If he knew, he would have not hesitated to make an example of you in front of the camp." Sevyn added next to me.

I shook my head, not convinced. "Redd is his nephew, I'm sure he is trying to find some way to spare him."

I looked ahead of us, and I could see Duke glance back at us briefly. A shiver shot through my spine.

"He will do it when you go on your next scout," the fear in my voice was pathetic and weak.

Redd gave my waist a squeeze of reassurance.

"Lux, you need to relax. What happened last night and to the priest was not your fault." He said.

I looked up at him, his strong jaw was clenched and his face was set in a frown. Redd was trying to be strong, but he was just as fearful as I was. I looked to Sevyn and saw no fear in her. She walked with confidence, bow in hand and her makeshift arrow case strapped over her shoulder. She was the image of strength. I tried to draw on her energy, I wanted to be as sure and as confident as she was.

It would take three days for us to reach Zone One, where we would join with the third camp. All in all there were about four camps we knew off that were outside of Domus. Our camp was the first. We began as a resistance against the laws of the Tyrannus, a council of elders who now controlled the human race in order to maintain peace. From the stories that my father told me, people had not been too kind to the Earth. Until the earth rebelled, Mother Nature began to restore order. Those who survived the storms and earthquakes went to war over the once basic and abundant mineral: water.

Order was restored by the Tyrannus, who were made up of the Elders, former world leaders. In order to keep the world from going to war again, everything that was seen as a catalyst to war was banned; faith, hope and love. Tyrannus control all the earths remaining resources. They offer shelter and safety, and the promise of a new world order in the city of Domus. But it came with a cost; a small device was inserted into the nape of your neck, which allowed Tyrannus to control every emotion, every thought and every belief. You were made to give up your freedom in exchange for life.

Those who chose freedom formed a resistence. But Tyrannus created The Guardians, an army of soldiers who fought for the peace Tyrannus had created. Anyone who was found without their device was offered a choice: join Tyrannus or die. They were punished or killed in front of their camp as way to set an example, to remind us who was in charge. Soon most of the resistence gave in, choosing to be part of the upotian world of Domus, to feel nothing and believe in nothing, than to be out on their own and hunted by the savages.
The Guardians hunted down resistence camps, burned the down, just like they did ours, so that the people would have no other choice but to join Tyrannus. And with free resources running low, the resistence was growing weaker.

Duke was once in the for front of the resistence. But now it seemed he was looking to being another version of Tyrannus. Maybe he was tired of always having to fight for survival. We all looked to him for leadership, but all we got were more rules, more orders.

We were finally given a chance to rest three hours later in what looked like a shopping complex. It was mostly rubble now, but some of the buildings still held form, providing shade from the burning heat. Ronny was doing his water rounds, most of the water from our camp was salvaged.

"Hey, Redd, Duke wants a word with you." Ronny said, as he handed me some water.

Redd wasted no time getting, not before he gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.
Cyan came over to have a look at me.

"I'm sorry, Lux." She sniffled, not making any eye contact. She had been crying too. My heart broke for her. I knew she had deep feelings for my father.

I did not know what to say, I just took my drink of water, then passed it on to Sevyn. Cyan carefully bandaged my ankle.

"It's not broken, just sprained." She explained. "Try to keep your weight off it."

Then she stood to walk away. Just then I grabbed her wrist and looked into her hazel eyes.

"Thank you." I held her gaze, hoping she would understand what I meant. She gave me a slight nod of acknowledgment.

When Redd returned he sat down and placed a hand on my shoulder. It was the only form of affection he could show me. If Duke knew, if he saw-- I shuddered at the thought of what he would do to us. To me.

"I have to leave soon." He said softly. My head snapped in his direction.

"What?" I whimpered. I could feel the fear begin to grip at my heart.

"Duke is sending us ahead again," I shook my head in panic, "on a scout."

"No, you can't go--" I started.

"I'll be back, Lux." Redd cut in.

"No, no," I continued to shake my head, my panic rising.

Redd shushed me and rubbed the back of my neck with his hand. Then he drew me in so our foreheads touched.

"I'll be back. We're not going far. Duke is just being careful because of the attack. Sevyn will be with you."

His words did nothing to squelch my anxiety over being left alone. It sickened me how much I depended on Redd as a safety net, but I could not bare the thought of being on my own. I thought of my dad trapped in the house unable to get out. If I lost Redd too, I would not beable to live anymore. There would be nothing left to live for.
I opened my eyes so I could look into his, pulling away so I could get a better look at him.

"Promise me you'll come back." I said.

Redd gave me a small smile, making those green eyes light up. "I always do."