Status: if you like it let me know, I will update

Lux

| Angel |

Sevyn and I set out towards the south, towards Penance and towards an unknown destiny. I have finally given up on trying to think myself out of it once we had been walking for most of the day. My ankles hurt and my boots felt hot and uncomfortable. Sevyn was talking animatedly as we walked, soon it began to drizzle.

"We should find shelter." I called to her. I saw her stop and turn to me with her hands on her hips.

"Scared of a little rain, Lux?" She asked, a small grin tugged at the corners of her lips letting me know she was teasing.

"Chocolate melts in the rain," I returned, giving her a smile.

Sevyn let out a soft laugh and shook her head. "You don't even know what chocolate is."

We both laughed and began walking off the road, in hopes that we would find some abandoned house. We were outside of the city now and walking through a more residential part of the town. This part was bare, no trees, no grass, only tar and rock hard dirt. The thick smell of rain was in the air and soon it would be torrential downpour. This kind of weather was a blessing for our camp; rain was rare so when it did rain it was a chance to get as much as we can, and preserve it. When it did rain it poured, and it was celebrated; a welcomed relief from the scalding heat.

Sevyn and I would be forced to travel in the rain regardless, but right now I wanted a break; hopefully which ever house we find will have spare clothes that we could take for when the ones we had on got wet.

We turned left onto an empty street. By the many dead tree stumps I imagined that this was once a heavily wooded area. Not too far ahead were grey hills that had once been rich and fertile, but were now dull and barren. In the distance, below the hills was the outline of a house. Sevyn and I glanced at each other in relief. Our pace picked up, it was not long until we reached the house.
We both gasped at how beautiful it was. It still held its original form, though the paint was faded, parts of it looked like it had been repaired. As we walked up the cracked driveway I began to feel uneasy.
My steps began to slow, so did Sevyns.

"It looks like someone still lives here," Sevyn regarded.

The rain started to get heavier. I looked back and saw that there would not be another house for a while. We had not much of a choice as where else to go.

"Should we stay?" I wanted to check with Sevyn, although I had made my decision.

The house had shutters on the windows, it was not too big, but it was set on a massive property.

Sevyn looked around and must have come to the same conclusion I had. "Yeah, let's stay."

We walked all the way up the driveway and onto the patio. The old door was closed but I doubted it was locked. I was proved right when I reached for the handle and it gave in easily, allowing me to push the door open. It was warm inside, it also smelt of burnt wood, like a recently put out fire. My uneasiness got worse.
Someone definitely lived in this house.
Someone who lived alone and not with a camp could not really be trusted.
I stepped into the house regardless, the wood floors creaked beneath my boots. Sevyn was of course more confident in this venture. She stepped in bravely and began to wonder around the house. Disappearing in one room, then appearing in another. The house was furnished minimally; only the necessities were available. But everything looked worn out and old. I walked towards the fireplace dug out in the wall of the lounge. I let my hand hover inside it. I could feel the slightest warm. It was put out a while ago, which probably meant whoever had put it out was possibly on their way back. I swallowed hard, trying to squash my nervousness.

"Lux, I found food!" I heard Sevyn exclaim from another room.

My stomach rumbled in response, my concerns about the occupants quickly forgotten. I found her in the houses kitchen pulling out cans of food. My heart almost stopped at the site of the symbol. Two arrows forming a circle, one meeting the other, and in the middle an X. It was the symbol of Tyrannus.

"Sevyn, this is a house for the Guardians!" I cried, my blood immediately running cold, panic taking over. We had walked into a trap.

"Relax, Lux, they're not here. We'll just take what we need and get out." Sevyn replied. She was trying to sound calm, but the quiver in her voice betrayed her.

"I do not think so."

Sevyn and I jumped at the sound of a deep voice. I turned around and came face to face with the largest man I had ever seen. His bow and arrow were drawn and aimed directly at me, though his eyes darted between Sevyn and I.
I had never seen a Guardian, but I had heard stories of them. They were big men, strong and heartless. Their call was to bring you to Domus, but they hated members of the resistances; programmed by the chip in their neck. They killed mercilessly, without thinking twice if you refused them. I was staring into the cold blue eyes of death.

"Who are you?" The man demanded, his stance never wavering.

I began to take in short wheezing breaths. I was trying hard not to move, but my head began to spin.

"Who are you?!" The man bellowed, frightening even Sevyn.

"Please," I heard her beg, "my friend is sick."

The room was tilting and I stumbled back, grabbing onto the counter for balance.

"What's wrong with her?" He asked. He sounded concerned. But he was a Guardian, he would not care about me.

"You've frightened her!" Sevyn's arm was now around my waist.

It felt like someone was sitting on my chest, a sharp prickly sensation surged through my body. It was like being trapped with Duke again. I could feel my body begin to close up on me.

"Lux, you must breathe. You must calm down." Sevyn instructed.

I began to sink onto the floor, the room started to get dark. I drew in my breaths with determination, willing my heart to slow down, for my lungs to open up.
Please help me, I pleaded to who, I was not sure.

"If you are going to kill us do it now. If not, put you weapon away, Guardian!" Sevyn yelled. The man immediately lowered his bow, and tucked away his arrow.

I was not sure if it was my short prayer or seeing the weapon put away, but I began to feel a little lighter on my chest. I loosened my grip on Sevyn's arm, feeling my breaths become more regular. My body hurt, like I had been in some fight, but I at least could breathe. I looked up at the Guardian and saw his eyes flood with relief at my recovery.

"Who are you?" Asked Sevyn.

"I asked you first." He replied.

I saw Sevyn scowled, but she answered regardless.

"I am Rose, and this is my friend, Alex. We're lost." She lied without hesitation.

"No, you are lying." The man responded coolly.

Sevyn's eyes widened in surprise, then narrowed in irritation.

"I'm Sevyn. This is Lux."

The man stared at me intensely, his gaze felt like it was piercing through me. I cowered under it.

"I know you." He said to me.

I shook my head, still unable to speak. There was no way he could know me. I knew no Guardians.

"That is impossible. Now tell us who you are." Sevyn demanded, rising to stand on her feet.

The Guardian smirked, admiring her confidence.

"I'm not a Guardian. Not anymore. I am Mikha'el."

Sevyn and I were both silent, staring in awe at this man. I was immediately consumed by relief far greater than I could describe. I stood up confidently, like Sevyn, holding Mikha'el's stare.

"What do you mean you are no Guardian?" I asked, my voice having returned to me.

"I was once. Now I am not."

His answered seemed to grind Sevyn the wrong way because she quickly drew her bow and arrow, pointing it at him.

"Don't answer in riddles, or I will not suffer you to live." She spat.

"There is no riddle. You assumed I was a Guardian. A semi correct assumption. One which would have been correct three months ago. Not today. Today I am a free man." His smirk returned, clearly entertained by Sevyn fiestiness. He liked her, I could tell.

Sevyn pulled her arrow back further, not taking this lightly. I reached out to touch her arm, asking her put it down. Mikha'el did not draw his weapon again, he has not killed us. He was probably telling the truth about not being a Guardian.

"You said you know me. I think you must have me confused." I said, trying to change the subject.

Mikha'el looked back at me, then narrowed his eyes.

"I am not confused. I have seen you in my dreams."

His response startled me so much I gasped and had to suppress a laugh.

"E-excuse me?" I stammered.

Mikha'el looked down briefly, then looked at me again.

"You are not lost. You are running away." He said. "You are also running to, am I correct?"

I glanced at Sevyn, who quickly looked to me, then back at Mikha'el, without lowering her weapon.

"Who sent you?" I asked, my voice a little shaky.

"Who sent you?"

"Answer the question!" Sevyn yelled. He did not even look at her, just held his gaze, like he already knew my answer.

"You've had the dreams, too, haven't you?"

I swallowed hard, remembering my vivid dreams, the voice that promised to protect me. How did he know about them?

"I see you running in them. Running through a dark, sick forest. Then he tells me to protect you."

"Who?" I asked, curious to put a name to that voice.

"God."