Insubordinate Attractions

One

Andy crept behind the third car on the left hand side of level five in the parking block, and watched with wide eyes as the man crept about in front of him, seeking him out, gun in hand. It would only be a matter of time before he found him.

Oli ran as fast as his legs would allow, jumping over the gap between two buildings and racing down the stairs, footsteps behind him, gradually falling behind. Shots were fired out and one skimmed past his arm so narrowly it ripped his hoodie.

Andy stilled his breathing and fought the urge to swallow as the man crept out of his sight.

Oli crashed through a door onto level five of a parking lot and skidded to a halt when a large bald man with a gun took a stand and screamed at him.
"Hands up! Get on the ground, now!!" Oli did as he was told, very begrudgingly, but felt slightly better when his pursuer raced into the scene and was shot by the man. Oli watched warily as he told him not to move, and he crept about, as though he were looking for someone. Oli, from where he was on the ground, saw a pair of scuffed vans on the floor under the gap of a big car, a pair of skinny jean-clad legs coming out of them. The man was about to discover whoever he was looking for, and in a sudden bout of sympathy Oli cleared his throat, making the man spin round and look at him. Oli put his hands up in surrender but pointed to the other side of the parking lot, the man gave him a one handed thumbs up and walked over to the area he'd suggested. The second his back was turned, Oli crept up behind him and hit him hard over the head. He crashed to the ground and Oli picked up his gun, tucking it into his back pocket and shouted to the other person hiding.

"Hey! Help me move 'em!" The man behind the black SUV got to his feet and rushed over to help.

"You didn't kill him did you?"

"No. Fuck! Get in, get in!!" Oli ordered hurriedly as he recognised voices as people ran down the stairwell.

"What?! I'm not stealing a car too!"

"You're gonna have to, mate. C'mon!" Oli finished picking the lock of an old Volvo and climbed in. The other man climbed in as well and Oli reversed out and raced off as quickly as the old car would allow him.

"Fuck...right I'm going somewhere where there's a better car."

"Who are you running from?"

"Wrong question. You should be asking why I'm running. Who from is irrelevant." The man sighed and asked the right question curtly.

"Just a slight misunderstanding with nine billion pounds. You?"

"I exposed a human trafficking organisation." Oli whistled and winced and the other man nodded.

"I know. But anyway, a misunderstanding with nine billion pounds? Tell me you don't owe someone that much."

"Fuck no. I sold several very authentic-looking fake paintings to a greedy rich bastard. He figured out they were fake just as I left." The other man shook his head.

"Man..." Oli pulled up outside the garage and the pale man's hand came up to grab his sleeve.

"You cannot steal a brand new car."

"Sure I can. Look, if you break traffic laws in a piece of shit like this, you're in trouble, if you do it in something nice and expensive, people are much more willing to overlook it."

"That is so wrong."

"But true." With that, he leapt from the car and hot wired a black SUV. He climbed in and settled into it straight away. He pulled out in it, made Andy climb in, then reversed the Volvo in it and stuck the price label on the windshield. Andy couldn't help but laugh and Oli came back to the car.

"What's your name, by the way?"

"Oli."

"I'm Andy." They nodded at one another.

"Right, let's get going." Oli hopped in and they were off again.