‹ Prequel: Again and Again
Status: If you have any ideas for the story, speak up! Your ideas and thoughts are welcome.

For You

Fourteen

“If you have any more questions, just ask F.R.I.D.A.Y. She will help you out with anything you need,” Happy states as he heads to the door. Resting his hand on the knob, Happy turns towards Cora and smiles faintly. “Everyone here is a good person, they will put their lives on the line to keep you safe…Just give them a little time to get use to the idea of Loki hanging around okay? The Loki you know and the Loki we know are very different from each other.” Cora nods her head and Happy leaves without another word.

All alone Cora takes in her new room, it’s nothing like her room back in Asgard, but it still has charm to it. Light hardwood flooring, cream colored walls, a king sized walnut finished platform bed with matching end tables rests in the center of the left wall; on the right-hand side of the bed, three large ceiling to floor glass doors open to a balcony overlooking the city. A large flat box hangs from the wall dead center across from the bed with two wooden shelving units on either side of it. A wooden door with the center replaced with frosted glass stands on the left-hand side from the bed on the opposite wall leading into a marble floored bathroom. White his and her sinks flout on the wall with a dark wooden cabinet sitting under each one, while two medium size circle mirrors rest above on the wall as soon as you walk in. On the right-hand wall a large tube with a glass shower attached to it, out lined in the same marble that is on the floor is nestled in the corner; across from the shower sits a white porcelain toilet and silver hook to hold the toilet paper.

Sitting down on the bed, Cora sighs and claps her hands together before she closes her eyes and focuses on Loki. “Cora?” Cora opens her eyes and sure enough she is standing before Loki who is alone in his room on Asgard.

“You left me,” Cora states with a frown on her face and Loki nods his head slowly.

“I had to leave you darling…. it’s for your own safety-”

“When will you be back? I understand the situation that I am in, but I do not know these people. Thor may trust them, and I know that in a way you do as well, but I am…” Cora bites her lower lip and looks down at her hands.

Walking forward, Loki stands in front of Cora, “Do you trust me?” Cora lifts her head slowly and stares into Loki’s unblinking eyes, "Love is all about trust. But can you trust me: the liar, the bearer of mischief? Are you strong enough for that?"

“Do you think I’m simple?” Cora questions and Loki smirks. “I would not have gone along with this plan of yours had I not trusted you Loki. For you to even ask me that, you have some nerve.”

Loki chuckles and shakes his head, “You have nothing to be afraid of there. Please believe me when I say that those mortals will keep you safe if need be. As much as I dislike them, they are in truth good people.” Loki hears Thor calling for him and he frowns slightly. “I shouldn’t be long here, but you know how these things are.”

“Nothing is set in stone…” Cora mummers and Loki nods his head. “Go,” Cora orders with a dismissive wave of her hand. “Thor is bound to break your door down if you are not by his side.”

“I agree. It is such a burden to have that belligerent half-wit as a brother,” Loki groans and Cora clicks her tongue making Loki smirk. “Take care my dear, try not to get too comfortable on Midgard alright?”

“I make no promises,” Cora teases and before she can say anything more, Loki turns, and Cora is once again staring at the hardwood floor beneath her at Stark Tower.

Image

Elsewhere in Stark Tower, Clint is holed away in the training room, bow and arrows in hand letting off some steam. Natasha watches from the side lines as Clint lets his guard down and falls victim to his memories. Arrow after arrow darts through the air, hitting their mark with hardly any time in between. Glancing down at the watch on her wrist, Natasha sighs and pushes herself off the wall. Natasha’s boots click on the concrete walkway as she makes her way over to Clint.

“I’m fine,” Clint states without looking at Natasha.

“I didn’t say anything.”

“You sighed,” Clint mummers and Natasha clicks her tongue. “You don’t have to babysit me. I’m not going to do anything.” Clint lowers his bow and removes the arrow before he turns his full attention to Natasha. “What?” Clint demands, and Natasha just stares at him. “I don’t have anything to say on the matter.”

“What matter?” Natasha questions raising her eyebrow and Clint sucks his teeth.

“You’re a real piece of work, you know that?”

“So, I’ve been told,” Natasha dismisses, and Clint shakes his head with a huff. “None of us like the situation, but until something happens we can’t really do anything. Thor vouched for that woman and that’s all we have, Thor’s word.”

“Like that means anything! He sided with Loki, Nat! Does that not alarm anyone?” Clint grabs at his hair and lets out a humorless laugh. “No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for...For ten minutes!”

“D-did you just quote Mr. Incredible?”

“Shut up Nat!” Clint grumbles and Natasha shakes her head with a smirk pulling at her lips.

“We’ve done this kind of stuff many times and from the looks of it, the woman upstairs has no idea what she is in the middle of. Give her the benefit of doubt and see where that goes. I can’t explain it, but the way Loki gravitates towards her…she’s worth considering.”

Image

“She’s worth considering? Yeah whatever…stupid,” Clint grumbles to himself as he rides the elevator up to the 82nd floor. “What’s there to even consider?” Clint rubs a hand over his face and lets out a long sigh. “What did we just get ourselves into?”

The door to the elevator opens and Clint steps out making his way right over to the bar. Already with a drink in hand, Tony raises his eyebrow at Clint and Clint just ignores him. “Trust me I feel ya guy,” Tony states before he knocks back the last little swallow of bourbon in his glass. Having nothing else to say, Tony grabs another glass and fills both up half way before he hands one over to Clint. “Cheers,” Tony mumbles before he downs half the glass.

Clint and Tony sit in silence for a while just drinking one glass of bourbon after another. Soon the whole bottle is gone, and Clint speaks up, “We should’ve said no. Why the hell did we agree to babysit some woman that we don’t even know?! What if she kills us!”

“She can try anytime,” Tony sighs with a dopy smile on his face.

Clint rolls his eyes, “I’m being serious man! Think about it. Loki is known for his mind control! Who’s to say Thor isn’t under his control, huh? I’ve seen Thor at his lowest, he has faults and dark desires just like the rest of us.”

Tony laughs and shakes his head, “Dark desires huh? You know what I desire right now?” Tony muses and Clint waves off the question. “That Goddess in the other room is what I wouldn’t mind right now…”

“Shut up Tony,” Clint huffs and grabs another bottle of bourbon. “You’re only saying that cause Pepper isn’t around to chop off your goods.”

Tony squints at Clint and leans in close, “You’re right!” Tony breaths and laughs as Clint pushes him away. “I don’t care if she’s here to slit our throats. That hottie can do with me whatever she wants.”

“….I don’t even know what to say to that,” Clint sighs and Tony smiles holding out his empty glass. Clint fills the glass with a roll of his eyes.

“Are you telling me that you wouldn’t let her-“

“No,” Clint cuts Tony off and makes a face. “I’m happily married.”

“I’m happily married,” Tony mocks with a scarf before he takes a sip of his drink. “Thor wouldn’t put his trust in her if she wasn’t worth it.”

“What?” Clint prompts making sure Tony isn’t messing around. Considering the look in Tony’s eyes, Clint can see all the humor has gone.

“Point Break is simple…. but he is also very wise in a weird way. He’s more than some meat head, so his word holds more merit than most. If Loki wanted us dead, Thor wouldn’t risk putting us in danger. Not even for the sake of that girl’s life.” Clint thinks over Tony’s words and before he can comment, Tony’s eyes flint over to something over his shoulder. A large smile takes over Tony’s face, “Welcome to the party!” Tony quickly jumps to his feet and throws his arms out wide; his drink sloshing against the side of the glass and spilling onto the floor.

Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, Clint slowly turns around his seat and stares at the young Asgardian woman standing before him and Tony. Tony goes on talking, but Clint tunes him out as he focuses in on the woman. Her hair is piled on the top of her head, loose strands framing her face, her eyes are open wide in…wonder? Surprise? Clint isn’t sure, but he can tell that she’s a little on edge. Clint slowly takes in the rest of Cora’s appearance and raises an eyebrow; the cream-colored dress she has on isn’t something Clint would think most woman of Earth world wear to bed. Honestly it reminds him of the shity what the fuck dress Arial made when she first became a human on the beach.

“Come on! Sit down and have drink with us!” Tony waves his arms around motioning for Cora to have a seat and she looks between the two men. “Oh, don’t worry about that sour puss! Clint is just a little…Well who cares what he is,” Tony giggles and plops himself down at the bar. Cora nods her head and sits besides Tony, making sure to keep her distance from Clint. She can clearly see that he doesn’t like her very much. “So…Cora was it right?” Tony questions and Cora nods her head. “Such a pretty name…now tell me my dear, what’s your poison? You may have anything you’d like.” Tony starts to name off the different kinds of alcohol he has, and Cora’s mind goes blank. She has never heard of any of the Midgardian drinks.

“Forgive me, but I am unfamiliar with any of the choices,” Cora answers and Tony smirks.

“Clint!” Tony shouts with large grin. “Looks like we have to teach little missy here what it means to be human.”

Clint scarfs and downs the rest of his drink, “Whatever, do what you want.” Clint slams his glass down and stands up glaring at Cora. “I don’t know what that creep has planned, but I’m not falling for it,” Clint sneers and Cora narrows her eyes as Clint points his finger in her face. “I’d watch myself if I was you. Loki has no friends here and I’ll be dammed if any of my friends are hurt again because of that bastard,” Clint hisses and Cora cocks an eyebrow.

“You think I haven’t been hurt by Loki’s actions?” Cora questions with a steely sharpness in her voice. “I may not know the vast extent of Loki’s deeds, but do not take me as a fool.” Cora slaps Clint hand out of her face and stands in front of him, not afraid of their size difference. “I can see the fear in your eyes as you say his name. The anger and rage that boils within your blood at the mere sight of Loki…each one of you has the same look to some degree.” Cora looks over at Tony and he smiles wearily. “You do not know the challenges of Loki’s being nor the same for him to you or anyone else, but the truth is that we are all a little damaged. Some of us just hide it better than others.” Clint notices a flash of sadness pass over Cora’s face, but before he can comment, she turns on her heels and leaves.

“Huh…” Tony scratches the back of his head. “Whadda think that meant?” he asks a little too drunk to think right now.

Clint glances over at Tony and shakes his head, “I think it’s time for you to head on up to bed, man.” Clint watches as Tony stumbles to the elevator and once he’s alone he pours himself another drink. Cora’s words ring loudly in his head and Clint sighs, “Some hide it better…” Groaning, Clint throws his shot back and slams it down on the bar top before he stands up and makes his way to the elevator. “F.R.I.D.A.Y…take me to the girl,” Clint grunts and F.R.I.D.A.Y opens the elevator doors for Clint to walk into.

Currently Ms. Cora is in her room. Would you like me to inform her of your arrival?

“No. Just get me there…thanks,” Clint mutters as he leans against the wall waiting for the short ride to be over. The elevator comes to a stop and Clint steps out shoving his hands in his pockets as he makes his way to Cora’s bedroom. Half way there Clint stops walking as a thought crosses his mind. Just what is he doing? It’s late at night and he’s making his way to a female’s room that isn’t his wife. This’ll look bad if anyone sees him. Clint weighs the options in his mind on if he should wait until tomorrow to confront Cora, but who knows if he’ll even have another chance. “Screw it,” Clint grumbles and continues his way to Cora’s bedroom. Getting closer to Cora’s bedroom, Clint slows his steps when he hears what sounds like Loki’s voice. I thought he left with Thor… Clint thinks to himself and he eases his way closer trying to get within better hearing distance.

“Don’t fret darling. Those mortals are known for drowning their sorrows in alcohol.”

“Loki that’s besides the point. I know they will not harm me, but…”

“Listen to me Cora. This is going to be hard for everyone, I wish I could take it all back and erase all my mistake, but that is something even I cannot do. They hate me darling, not you.”

Clint leans against the wall and listens in on Cora and Loki’s conversation, feeling slightly bad that he has taken his anger out on the young woman.

“What did you do to this world my Prince?”

“Ask Barton. I’m sure he’ll be willing to tell you his horrors…Isn’t that right Agent?”

“Shit!” Clint quickly looks from side to side and frowns when he sees that he is alone in the hallway. How the hell did Loki know he was out here? Shaking his head, Clint takes a breath and rounds the corner of Cora’s doorway letting his head show first offer Cora an apologetic and guilty look. Loki smirks and shoots Clint a knowing look before the image of him vanishes. Clint steps into the room and clears his throat, “Sorry…I didn’t mean to eaves drop.” Cora tucks some of her loose hair behind her ear and folds her legs underneath herself thinking of what to say to the unknown man in her room. “Listen. About what I said before…” Clint crosses his arms over his chest and leans against the wall. “Loki is a tough subject for everyone in the place. A lot of people died when he came to Earth. A lot of good and innocent people. Can you understand that?”

Cora nods her head and Clint continues. “There was this blue cube-”

“The tesseract,” Cora states and Clint nods.

“Yeah, that thing was bad news from the start. Soon after it came into our possession, Loki came and from there everything went south. Loki destroyed buildings, killed people and others he put under his mind control.” Clint takes a moment and watches Cora’s reaction from hearing about Loki’s attack on Earth. From the look on Cora’s face, Clint can see that she really didn’t know much about Loki’s little trip. “I was under Loki’s control and during that time I almost killed my friends…I could have killed my family with a second thought had Loki asked me to.”

“He would nev-”

“Yes, he would, and he did!” Clint raises his voice and narrows his eyes. “You can think what you would like about Loki, but the truth is you don’t know how curl and heartless he really is. I watched him kill hundreds of innocent people without any remorse. I watched him try to kill his own brother! Do you have any idea how fucked in the head you have to be to kill someone you consider family?!” Cora bites her lip as Clint yells, she can see the pain in his eyes as he recalls the horrors of his past with Loki. “He wanted to rule us and had no problem killing anyone who stood in his way. If it wasn’t for Nat,” Clint shakes his head and clears his throat once more.

“None of us trust Loki. Because of him we all had to deal with unconceivable truths that there are others out there ready and willing to strike us down with a second thought. Do you know what that feels like? To live your life happy and clueless than one day have it ruined by a giant hole in the sky pouring out aliens!

“You say that everyone is damaged, and some hide it better than others, but when was that ever a good enough excuse for murder?”

Cora gives Clint an understanding smile and looks out the window. “Living in Asgard, we are taught that we are not the only ones. There are nine realms and each one is special in its own way. I knew every species of being on just about every realm, however I had not seen them other than in a book.” Cora wraps her arms around herself and takes a deep breath as she recalls the past. “We were throwing a coronation party for Thor when the Frost Giants attacked…They weren’t as scary as the books depicted, but it was still a shock for me.

"I was happy and clueless, living my life with those I loved around me, until they appeared out of nowhere. There was no giant hole, no war cry…nothing.” Tears well at the corner of Cora’s eyes and Clint slowly makes his way over to her.

“There was so much blood. The day the Frost Giants attacked, I lost my father…after that death seemed to be my only friend. I watched countless people die throughout my lifetime. My father, Odin, Frigg…Loki.” Cora lets her tears fall and Clint sits beside her, placing his arm around her shoulders and pulling her into his chest. “There is no reason for what has taken place here on Midgard to be accepted, but do not continue to believe that you are alone in your anguish,” Cora cries and Clint sighs resting his chin on top of Cora’s head.

“That’s enough story time for tonight kid, alright? Come on stop crying,” Clint begs, slowly feeling his paternal instinct kick into gear. “I understand where you’re coming from…it won’t be a walk in the park, but something has to give right?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Cora's nightgown

Shaking his head, Clint takes a breath and rounds the corner of Cora’s doorway letting his head show first offer Cora an apologetic and guilty look. Loki smirks and shoots Clint a knowing look before the image of him vanishes. Clint steps into the room and clears his throat, “Sorry…I didn’t mean to eaves drop.”

Image