Status: Feito

Together Let's...

Cuddle by a Fire

“Thank you so much, dad! I promise we won’t burn anything down!” Alex called from the front door as he waved goodbye to his father. He’d stopped by (after much pleading over the phone) to drop off the family’s old fire pit. The father-son team had been able to lug it from the car and into the backyard, along with all of the necessary supplies to light the thing. In the kitchen, marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers all waited patiently on the counter.

Alex knew that Jack would appreciate a relaxing evening by the fire with s’mores. It was the day that his big meeting had been rescheduled to, and just that morning, he’d psyched himself out before he’d even climbed out of the shower. Pep talks had been given, extra goodbye hugs and kisses, encouraging notes in the elder’s lunch. Even if the meeting went nothing less than absolutely phenomenal, he would still come home paranoid and in need of some downtime.

The younger man waited just as patiently as the snacks in the kitchen, occasionally moving from room to room in search of something to clean up a bit more. A spotless environment always helped Jack calm down.

It was finally at around five o’clock when the elder’s car could be heard pulling into the driveway. For once, Alex waited patiently in the living room instead of barging outside. However, he couldn’t help himself from scurrying into the front hall when he heard the front door open.

“Hey, baby,” he said quietly. “How’d it go today?”

Jack didn’t glance up as he set his things down in their usual areas, nor did he say anything as he moved forward to wrap his arms around his partner. The elder’s face was tucked into a warm neck, a kiss pushed to the soft skin there, before he gave a sigh.

“I don’t know yet,” he answered solemnly. “I… I guess it went well. I didn’t get fired or anything, so that’s a plus… well, I haven’t been fired yet. I should hear more about how they all took it tomorrow. It’s just… it’s good to be home now, y’know? I missed you. I kept reading your notes whenever I’d get too freaked out before I had to start the meeting. Thank you, dimples.”

“Anything to make it all a little easier for you, baby. I know you did fucking awesome anyway. Now come on—why don’t you tell me what you want for dinner and I’ll start getting it ready for you,” Alex said, pushing his partner back gently to give a reassuring smile.

Only, Jack shook his head. “I’m not really hungry. Kinda just wanna cuddle with you and try and forget about today.”

“Go get into something more comfortable and meet me in the backyard, okay? I have something a little better than that,” Alex said, leaning up to press a kiss to a stubbly cheek and then moving away before anything could be said in response.

Jack did as told, not really having it in him to worry about what Alex’s surprise was. Upstairs, his nice work suit (the one Alex had deemed appropriate for the public) was shed and left scattered on the floor in favor of sweatpants and a shirt.

Outside, Alex was putting the finishing touches to his masterpiece. The wood was stacked just as his dad had instructed, and with a piece of paper and a lighter he’d found lying around, the fire was officially lit. Two old patio chairs were pulled a little closer to the blaze, and then one more trip was made into the kitchen to make sure that none of his other supplies were left behind.

Jack trudged his way back downstairs, having completely bypassed the list on his way from their bedroom. Heavy hands rubbed at a tired face as he walked through the house and out into the warm, evening air. It felt warmer than usual, and with a scrunch of the eyebrows, he was peeking through his fingers to catch a glimpse as to why that could’ve been.

Alex was sitting in one of the chairs sideways, his legs hugged to his chest and his head resting against his knees as he watched his boyfriend come back to the real world.

“I know how much today’s been stressing out—in the last few hours and the past couple weeks—and so, I don’t know, I figured today would be as good a day as any to cuddle by a fire, right? I even have stuff for s’mores, if you’re up for it. We can talk about whatever you want today, baby. We don’t even have to talk. Everything’s up to you from here on out, okay? I love you.”

If it was even possible, Jack is sure that his heart would’ve melted.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm totes behind now ugh fuck