Status: Feito

Together Let's...

Kiss at Midnight on New Years

One thing Jack never expected to walk into was streamers—literally. It was on a day midway through May that the near-twenty-three-year-old opened the front door and stepped into the house, streamers and decorations declaring that it was New Year’s once more all over the inside of the house.

Thankfully, the outside looked normal enough.

“Dimples, what the hell?” he called out, huffing in annoyance as he pushed his way through everything.

Sadly, the rest of the house was as heavily made-up as the front hall.

In the kitchen, Alex was busying himself with dinner as though nothing was out of the norm. A tune was hummed, hips were shaken, and he still jumped when he noticed his impatient boyfriend stood just behind him.

“Hi, baby. How was work?” he chirped, leaning in for a hello kiss before returning to his noodles and sauce.

Jack sighed. “It was fine. Are you gonna tell me what’s going on or do I have to figure it out for myself?”

“The next thing on the list,” was all he was given, and he sighed again. A kiss was left on the side of Alex’s head before he left the room and made his way upstairs.

The list on the back of the door gave him a better understanding of what was happening. Kiss at Midnight on New Years. Of course Alex wouldn’t just mark it off. It’s not like they’d done it every year since Alex was a sophomore in high school or anything. And of course they couldn’t count it done because then the list would’ve been done out of order.

Jack got dressed, all the while shaking his head at his partner.

Through dinner, the couples’ days were discussed. Alex talked about getting the house ready and talking to his mother about her most recent doctor appointment; Jack talked about what he’d learned in his psychology class and how someone had actually referred to him as ‘sir.’

It was a normal night for the most part, up until around ten. At ten, when Jack would normally begin making his way to bed, Alex argued that he had to stay up so that they could kiss at midnight.

“It’s not even New Years!” Jack had whined, pout pulling at his lips.

“It is if you pretend hard enough,” Alex retorted, tugging at his partner’s wrist so that he’s sit back down on the couch.

Netflix was turned on in an attempt to help the young couple stay awake. For fifteen minutes, titles were flicked through to no avail. It was only when Jack said, “Just put on something that looks funny,” that a title was chosen.

Nearly two hours passed with Nick Offerman telling them how to live a successful life. Nearly two hours passed with Alex choking down giggles as Jack smiled at the mere sound. Nearly two hours passed where sleep was sacrificed just to make Alex happy.

When the credits finally began to roll on the stand-up comedy show, Alex reached for his phone and nearly jumped in surprise when he saw that there was only two minutes before midnight. Apps were clicked through until a more accurate clock could be pulled up on the screen.

Both men stared at the screen, their breath held as they waited out the last few seconds.

Ten… nine… eight… seven…

Alex was shifting enough so that he could kiss his boyfriend.

Six… five… four…

Jack followed the younger’s lead.

Three… two…

They began to lean in. At the very stroke of midnight, their lips met in a gentle kiss. Even if it wasn’t quite New Years, it still held the promise of an upheld future, just like it did every single year. Kissing Alex would never get old.