Sequel: Burning the Dragons

Howling at the Sun

The day before she started counting days

“Tabitha, I feel absolutely terrible to ask this of you,” Eddard said after he had delivered the news of King Rhaegar’s demands. He had travelled from his weakened army back north to Winterfell to speak with his younger sister, hoping that she would receive the news better if it came directly from him rather than a parchment.

“And this will end the war? Peace will come to Westeros if I accept?” Tabitha questioned as she stared at the burning fire in the hall, considering her future.

“Yes. These are the King’s only terms,” Eddard confirmed, his heavy heart obvious in his tone.

“What of the Lannisters?”

“They have received a similar offer. Rhaegar wants Cersei to marry Prince Oberyn of house Martell, now that Robert Baratheon is dead,” he explained before a weak smile crossed his face. “At least you will marry a Targaryen. Viserys could become a king one day.”

“I don’t want to be a queen, brother. And it is an insult that they want me for a Targaryen! Don’t you remember what they did to Brandon? And father?” Tabitha rebutted, bowing her head to hide the tears forming in her eyes at the horrific thoughts.

“You know that I will never forget. And I know how much you wish to live a simple life in the North because you adore this land, and I know that we’ve previously discussed better suitors for you to marry, but…” Eddard trailed off as he realised that it was unlikely that she would ever love her future husband if she accepted the offer. At least he was learning to love Catelyn and her warm heart, but he doubted that Viserys would be a kind man. “We will die if you decline. The North will fall.”

“I know,” she breathed sorrowfully, finally accepting that there was no way out of the King’s orders. “I will give it all up for you. For the North.”

“It is not fair that I ask you to pay for my mistakes. You are making the sacrifices, not me.”

“Maybe it’s not the worst thing. I have always wanted to travel,” Tabitha said with a tiny smile, finally diverting her gaze from the fire to meet her older brother’s saddened eyes. She could see right through him and tell just how much this decision was tearing him up inside, but they both knew that it was the right thing to do.

“So you are accepting King Rhaegar’s demands?” Eddard asked for confirmation and Tabitha gave a short nod.

“Send the ravens.”
♠ ♠ ♠
New story, and I am trying something different! I promise Tabitha's journey will be exciting, so please comment so I update regularly! :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you think!